• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing getting ready for archery season

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
My FIL upgraded to a crossbow finally this spring and he blessed me with his old bow. I finally got around to tuning it for myself with a new whisker biscuit and set the sights up. Pretty happy with how it's shooting now so my youngest son asked me if I could hit a swinging apple "like that show on TV" (he's been watching top shot I think...) So I figured why not give it a try.
First shot, 20 yards. I know... Not THAT hard but it was still fun and he thinks I am super man now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXTa4oIiII&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have a still shot of the arrow center punched in the apple too but can't get it to link from my phone... Will try later when I fire up the PC

I tried watching and it said the video was private. I shoot a lot and have burned through two different Hurricane bags already this summer. My friends and I walk the 3D course and make up our "game" to change things up sometimes. We've set up water bottles and whatever we can find and shoot through tight shooting lanes at outrageous yardages at times. It keeps it fun and helps us manage the pressure of making the tough shots during deer season. I'm chomping at the bit for archery season to open. I structure my whole life during bow season to being in the stand as much as I can. Good luck this year.

One thing I noticed with the new bow is just how much faster it is from the old one. The old now was my original bear whitetail 2 and it was cranked"up" to 50 lbs. The limbs have grown considerably weaker over the past 20 yrs. I used to have pins for 20, 30, 40 yards and now I am flat from 10 to 35 yards hitting about an inch high at 10 and 20 and dead at 30, 1/2 lot at 35 and barely enough room for the pin to put one in for 40 yds. With more practice this could easily be a 50 yard+ bow.