• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting restarted . . . Help!

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
When I was in my twenties, I would often run a few miles to the bar, throw back a pint, have a cigarette, and run back. No problems.

I'm now 37, and I'm still smoking. I've quit a few times this year, and have gone more than 50% of the year smoke free. I'll be quitting again in two weeks (need time in the woods, away from the wife, or there may be . . . trouble).

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get my lung capacity back? I'll be running, but is there anything else you guys would suggest?

I really miss my athleticism, and I'd like to get it back . . .

Re: Getting restarted . . . Help!

Use an elliptical if you can get access to one. You can flat kick your ass on an elliptical. Swimming would probably help too. I'm thinking cardio is what you're needing, and lots of it.

Well since you zeroed in on lung capacity..., try some deep breathing exercises. Basically sit somewhere comfortable, with good posture - back straight, shoulders back, lotus if you want to feel Zen - then inhale slowly pushing the diaphragm down and raising/expanding the chest and rib cage. Hold it a second then release slowly and repeat. It sounds simple but it isn't. You will notice - since you are a smoker - that you can only do this once or twice before coughing. That's OK - cough. Get the crap moving out of your lungs. Also, be sure to sit. Often when doing deep breathing, you will get light-headed - if you are sitting you do not have as far to fall if you pass out.

Your body has adapted to a lower level of oxygen than a nonsmoker would require. You are going to have to recondition the system to processing more oxygen, so why not start with adding more oxygen (deep breathing) before placing a huge demand for more oxygen (exercise) on the system?

stop smoking today, go for a run now. harden the fuck up!

UTNAP im in the same situation as you as far as quitting
I just started with the chantix again and that seems like the only game in town as far as sticking with it .
As far as cardio just get on a tredmill start short you will rebound quickly . But you have to start somewhere as far as the eliptical machines I prefer to use the tred mill behind them so I can keep my eyes on the ladies.

You get light headed when deep breathing because you are hyperventilating and your Pco2 gets too low, which fucks up the ph of your blood. This reduces blood flow to your head; not good. After you pass the fuck out, your body takes over and starts breathing the right way so your Pco2 and ph go back to normal. Yoga breathing exercises are ok for relaxing but not much else.
+ 1 for crossfit

just quite smoking do it once and don't start again

go for a run or skip if you really want to learn to breath again

My favorite aerobic exercise is incline walking. I set the treadmill at 15 degrees, and somewhere between 2.2-2.8 mph (2.5 is my starting speed). I don't aim for a target speed, but I aim for a heart rate.

For me, my anaerobic threshold is around 165-175, so holding my heart rate around 150-155 will ensure that I stay aerobic. This may not matter to most, but it is the ideal way to train your aerobic capacity without affecting your aerobic fast twitch muscle fibers.

Get a heart rate monitor if you get serious about it, and you can do just about any exercise to get your lung capacity up provided it get's your heart rate up.