• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Getting set up for reloading, kit or piece by piece?

cgbills

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Florida
I know there are a million different components and tools for reloading and this isn't really a "whats best" thread. I have never reloaded before, but was going to start doing it for my AI in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will be exclusively reloading for this setup and exclusively trying to reload for consistency and accuracy. I have been looking at the following Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Kit Deluxe.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Classic-Kit-Deluxe

I know I will need other components to complement the kit, especially since I will be measuring to olgive, but are the components in the kit quality? I think the powder scale seems a bit suspect... Are there components in it that really are not needed and a wasted cost? I am debating doing a kit so I can get set up and start reloading, but I am thinking that putting together my setup over time from various components would give me a better setup overall. Another plus I see with the kit is it will likely save me money. What do you all think, get a kit or build my setup?

Last edited:
My advice - I would steer you away from 2 things. 1) Anything Hornady with the exception of some of their bullets. 2) Do not buy a kit. It may take you a bit longer to piece together your set up but you will be way ahead in the long run.

I got the RC supreme kit for a gift from my GF and havce all ready sold the scale and powder dispenser. I upgraded to the Chargemaster since Grafs had a killer deal. I would buy in peices if i were you.

The Hornady press (if you want the Hornady . . . I like mine), powder measure, and book are fine . . . the stand is good (but expensive) if you want one . . . but there are better examples for the rest of the kit's equipment. The Redding trickler is better. You also need a good non-digital balance scale like the 505 and a set of RCBS check weights; that Hornady scale doesn't handle trickling very well and will drive you nuts with inconsistent readings etc. The hand primer has excellent ergonomics and is quite useful, but after a while putting up with flipped primers I found the more expensive RCBS Universal hand primer is much better. So as not to bore you . . . I'll just say "and so on".

You can buy the kit and it will CERTAINLY get you going. You *will* save some money over the Hornady parts bought separately. And it's not a bad thing to do when you are starting out, because which of us should you really listen to lol?

But you will replace many of those kit parts as you go forward - maybe not the same ones I did/would, but you will learn what *you* like and what works for *you*. OTOH, no matter what you buy today - based on limited experience - you probably will wind up replacing stuff anyhow.

Now that I've thoroughly confused you lol . . . maybe buy the non-deluxe kit, get started, learn the reloading discipline, and acquire as you go along.

When I started reloading I got a lee anniversary kit. I only used the press and bought everything else that I needed, so basicly I paid 120 bucks for a lee single stage press. Looking back I wish I would have just bought the press for WAY cheaper and used the extra money saved on better equipment. My vote is make your own kit.

I went piece by piece. It took a little longer to gather my components. But that time was spent researching what everyone was saying/reviewing about particular items. In the end I made some informed decisions. And followed the Old shooters adage of "buy once, cry once".

There are still a few items I would like to get, but a Giraud trimmer/annealer isn't in the cards right now.

If you don't have to start RIGHT NOW, and I don't see how you can easily with the component scarcity, then piece out you tools. You will be happier that way in the long run. Just Sayin'...

The press itself is fine. Truth be told, more issues are going to come from how you have the dies setup than anything else. Anyone else who says otherwise is full of it. The lock-n-load bushings are awesome. I was first introduced to them with the LNL AP and later converted my single stage over to them because they work well for quick changing of steps.

Buy your pieces individually, not in a kit as you will get a better selection of equipment that way.

My advice - I would steer you away from 2 things. 1) Anything Hornady with the exception of some of their bullets. 2) Do not buy a kit. It may take you a bit longer to piece together your set up but you will be way ahead in the long run.

Yup, but I would steer away from the bullets, not the progressive Lock'N Load - I like the Lock N Load - good to go. Stay away from the Hornady 6.5's. Especially the 140 gr A-max bullets.

Id only buy a kit if you were using it as a stepping stone into reloading. Like either you didnt know if it was for you or if you just wanted to get started now but knew youd upgrade later. Lets you try things out and see what you like and dont like. And if you dont like something its not like you just blew 80 bucks on it or anything but rather are just out the cheaper version.

I pieced my stuff together with the help of someone because i knew reloading was something i wanted to do so he helped me pick quality parts. Even so i have gone different routes and bought other items now. For trimming i have the rcbs trimmer, then i have WFT trimmers, and im getting a giarud soon. Its that sort of progress that im talking about. Buying the kit you can see how the say rcbs trimmer works and know if you want that style or not and from there can upgrade to better ones and sell off the old one.

Jus tbe prepared either way...theres always a new gadget to buy :)