• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Getting started in F-TR in NC ???

dpmcclellan

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
North Carolina
I want to get started in F-TR shooting. I have a military background and I am a current LEO/SWAT Operator in North Carolina. I have never participated or been a spectator at any of these matches. I need to know what do I need to do to get started in this type of shooting. I have done a lot of reading (rules, equipment needs ect.) what I need to know is exactly how to begin participating in F-TR. Do I need to join any organizations, what are the cost of matches ect. I live about 2 1/2 hours from Camp Butner in NC and plan to go to some of the matches there. Thanks for any help.

Danny

You have to be in the NRA. Otherwise all you need is a .308/.223 rifle with a reasonably high power scope (10x+ is recommended. Serious shooters typically use 30x-40x), a bipod, and some ammo loaded with heavy match grade bullets. A mat is a nice to have. It's really that easy.

The NRA does not require membership to participate. It is however highly encouraged. You can't get a classification w/o being a member.

F-TR means F-Target Rifle, not F-Tactical Rifle.

Gun
If you just want to do some long distance shooting bring what you got, to shoot F-TR you need either a 308 or a 223; that said, from 1000 yards bring a 308. You can shoot with anything, but muzzle velocity is your friend. Pretty much anyone who is seriously competing at 1000 yards is shooting a 30" barrel. Doesn't mean you need one to start with, just realize that's the norm.

Bullets

Some good match ammo. Load it your self or buy it. !!!DO NOT GET FGGM LOADED WITH 168 SMKs!!! Search it, the bullet will not make it to 1000 w/o going wonky. Don't get too crazy about reloading to start with. You could start out with perfect bullets in a perfect rifle and still drop 25 points in moderate conditions until you figure out wind. Bullets that get there with reasonable accuracy are fine for a long time. Lots of bullets will work, just not the 168SMK.

Scope

More magnification is better, second focal plane is better. If you are shooting factory ammo from a reasonable length barrel and not one of our 30"+ howitzers you will need 34 to 37 MOA of come up from your 100 yard zero. So, get your 100 yard zero, if you can't dial up 37 MOA you need another rail. (you don't want to go to a match and have to hold above the target frames to get on target. )

Bipod

you need one

Rear Bag

Need one of those too

Shooting Mat

I have forgotten mine and used the rear floor mat from my Chevy PU, but you really want to have one.

Spotting scope

You need one to score for other people, and you have to score. I have seen people score on the ground with their rifle scope

There is a thread in here about a bunch of other good stuff to have, it may be linked in the FAQ thread at the top of the page, which I think is a decent read if I do say so my self.

Just as a correction, you can get a classification even if you are not a member of the NRA. I do send in reports with payments for some competitors who are not NRA members. The NRA will create an internal number for them and issue them their card at the appropriate time. As a matter of course, I just remind them it would be easier to have an NRA membership so they could look up their classification on line, as could I to check that movement is occurring. They always end up getting a membership.

I will also point out that I wrote a 5000 word chapter that was published in the book Gun Digest 2014 on F-class. It's got pictures and everything. And before you ask, no I do not get money if you buy the book; I was paid a small flat fee for the article when it was accepted.

They did change one word from my original manuscript; needless to say, I was shocked and dismayed at that.

My bad on the NRA membership. Practically speaking, every club i've shot at required it, although I'm sure they could be persuaded to let it slide for a bit. I also forgot the rear bag, which is definitely going to be needed.

Danny,

Fellow new FT/R guy here. The guys here were/are very knowledgeable and helpful. The folks that I met and shot with at Butner were extremely friendly and helpful. I just showed up early in the pits and started conversations and all was good from there. The Camp Perry warm-up weekend scheduled for July apears to have been cancelled but there are more matches to be had there.

North State Shooting Club has a link to Coastal Carolina Rifle Club and those guys are showing several MR and LR matches this year except for August (Perry). I can say nothing bad about showing up as a newby, just bring a smile and good attitude.

Keith

Just as a correction, you can get a classification even if you are not a member of the NRA. I do send in reports with payments for some competitors who are not NRA members. The NRA will create an internal number for them and issue them their card at the appropriate time. As a matter of course, I just remind them it would be easier to have an NRA membership so they could look up their classification on line, as could I to check that movement is occurring. They always end up getting a membership.

I learned something here. I did not know that they would classify you w/o a number. I knew you could shoot but I didn't think that the scores went to the NRA.

Thanks for all the help guys. I plan on attending some matches and getting started. For now more reading, equipment prep and practice.

Danny

Last edited:
Another thing is don't overthink the situation. Have a solid 100 yard zero and your shooting partners should be able to get you on paper in 3 shots or less. Also a if you can afford a puller by all means do it. It makes shooting a lot more fun when you don't have to rearrange your life after a relay and haul your butt back and forth to the pits. The time you would be in the pits is the time you need to be sitting behind the line with a spotting scope relating to how the conditions affect other shooter's shot placements.

I haven't been down to Butner in the last couple of years due to stuff getting in the way. When I go now it is usually just to test loads in different rifles.