• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting stonger but can't seem to lose any fat.

awe2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
pleasantshade,tn
Hello all. To make along story short I got tired of being fat. So in Feb I started watching what and mostly how much I ate and started walking. I went from 260 to 220 by the middle of June. It seemed to fall off. When I got to 220 I started lifting weights 4 days a week and have been since. I am getting stronger,more flexible and agile.I have not used my riding mower since I started lifting, push mowing instead and have been jogging instead of walking. I have not lost or gained any weight since I hit 220. I have been doing the no sugar no carb way of eating. I feel better know than I have in a long time and can do a lot of things that I couldn't do last year.My spare tire just doesn't want to leave. I have hit a wall and can't break through. I know I am adding muscle,but could I be adding the exact amount to keep my weight the same? Any suggestions? I did not think to measure but my jeans fit the same. I am 37 and 5'9" with stocky build. Thanks

Go watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

No sugar is fine, but the no carb is a yo-yo diet.

The trick is to not get simple carbs, get complex ones. Eat balanced meals. Cutting certain things out will work for a time, but then it won't anymore.

Try and increase the intensity of your workout, less rest time between sets, and incorporate super sets. You can still start out heavy on your main lift, then super-set your auxiliary lifts, and cut rest time. For example: On bench day you can do reps of 1-5 for heavy weight on bench, then do reps of 8-12 on your auxiliary lifts super-set with another auxiliary lift. You might lose some strength to start out with, but you will cut that extra fat. Also like arnewb said, cut out simple carbs and and try to eat 5-6 well balanced meals everyday.

One of the things that worked for me was just eating smaller portions. I already had a decent diet, I just was eating too much of it, especially at my evening meal. I also started sticking to the no snacks before bedtime so it was basically 3.5 hours food free. The fat did not just melt off but over time it made the difference.

Try and increase the intensity of your workout, less rest time between sets, and incorporate super sets. You can still start out heavy on your main lift, then super-set your auxiliary lifts, and cut rest time. For example: On bench day you can do reps of 1-5 for heavy weight on bench, then do reps of 8-12 on your auxiliary lifts super-set with another auxiliary lift. You might lose some strength to start out with, but you will cut that extra fat. Also like arnewb said, cut out simple carbs and and try to eat 5-6 well balanced meals everyday.[/QUOte

This.

Look up high intensity interval training. If you are stuck you need to change things up. You also need to get your meal count way up to increase your metabolism.

One of the things that worked for me was just eating smaller portions. I already had a decent diet, I just was eating too much of it, especially at my evening meal. I also started sticking to the no snacks before bedtime so it was basically 3.5 hours food free. The fat did not just melt off but over time it made the difference.

This is what helped me tremendously. Smaller portions depending on what it is you're eating... healthy meal, somewhat bigger portion and when not so healthy eat a small portion.

One other thing I did was I wore a hoodie when I worked out. Hood on with a T-shirt or two underneath. It helps get you sweating and burns up body fat. I went from 222lbs to 211lbs in about 3 weeks.

Interval/burst training, change your workout routine and eat more, smaller meals throughout the day. Your body needs to keep that metabolism up. don't get discouraged, you are probably replacing a lot of the fat weight with muscle, which weighs more. Let the fit of clothes and how your body looks and feels tell you if you are still on the right track. I hardly ever use a scale any more. Maybe weigh once or twice a month. Write a plan/schedule down and keep a record of what you do. The majority of people are more successful when they track their progress.

I started replacing my evening meal, last meal of the day, with all vegetables, usually uncooked. Make sure you are getting enough of the good fats. I would usually eat baby spinach with tomatoes and avocadoes, with a little extra virgin olive oil on it for my dinner meal. the darker the greens, the better. Broccoli, kale, spinach, greens, cabbage, lettuce, etc and mix with your favorite other vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, peppers, etc.). Carbs are not a bad thing, just make sure they are from good sources. Try to cut the white carbs from your diet (breads, pasta, etc.), especially processed sugars and starches. Eat more fruit, berries, nuts. Watch your sodium intake. A lot of people think they do not use much salt, but most of the prepackaged stuff we eat/buy has too much sodium in it. You may be retaining water weight because of the sodium (lots of caffeine will also cause this).

If you are drinking any kind of soft drinks (diet or regular), cut them out of your diet, and your life for that matter. After a couple of years of hounding my older brother, he finally cut them out of his and he lost 10 lbs in about a month. I drink tea if I need a little caffeine, and water. And, I drink only water after 4 pm.

Sleep, get good amounts of sleep if at all possible. I try to get at least 8 hours every night with a regular sleep schedule. I know this is not possible for a lot of people, but it helps.

check out draxe.com, he does a local radio show in my area and he was who got me started on healthy eating as a lifestyle. lots of info on his site

Thanks for suggestions. As far as meals I eat 5 times per day. Usually an omelet with bacon for breakfast, some mixed plain nuts for a snack, for dinner I eat an avocado with some steak,chicken or pork. I eat an apple for a snack after dinner and for supper some protein same as dinner with assorted vegetables. I don't eat after 6:00. No bread,noodles,tators or anything processed and no fast food. I know that's not the best, but about all I can do at work.I do drink one diet Pepsi per day. Work outs are pretty intense. I don't take any breaks in between sets or movements. I go from one to the next. I try to do movements that use as many muscles as possible and stay away from the machines useing free weights as much as I can. I know I have to be loosing some fat, because I am getting stronger and still weigh same as I said above, it's just aggravating its happening so slow after the first 40. I'll mix some things up in the gym and at meal time and see what happens. I had blood work done the other day and it was great. My bad cholesterol went from 140 to 68 and everything else changed that much or more for the good, so I have to be something right. Thanks again and I'll keep at it.

I went from 246 to 185 in the last six months. I cut out sugar and started eating non processed meat, spinach,kahle and other good for you veggies. Got stuck at 220 doing this and then I saw an add with Dr. Oz promoting a pill called cambogia. He said it is the holy grail of fat lose pills. Started taking them and continued eating like I should and went down to 200. Hit another wall at 200 so I started riding a stationary bike on the fat burning mode and lifting weights six days a week. I am kinda stuck around 185 to 188 so now I am going to cut out grains as much as I can and see if I can loose the last of my gut. This should put me around 165 to 170 and I am 5' 10 and 49 years old. If it works out I would say the cave man diet is the way to go but I will not know for a couple of months. Just remember you get out of it what you put in both in food and in workouts. Good luck you can do it just stick with it.

Last edited:
As long as your seeing progress, than stick with it. I wouldn't cut out carbs. What I would do is to make sure you get your carbs when you wake up(your body is wasting away all night), a small amount before workout (provide energy for the workout)and after workout (best time to load up carbs to replenish the body)along with protein. During the rest of the day you will limit your carb intake. I would reduce your daily calorie intake by 200-300 calorie deficit and see how that goes for a month.

One thing to remember is losing weight starts in the kitchen not the gym. With that said, while your working out, increase your time-under-tension will help create more stress for your body. Strength workouts usually aren't ideal for fat loss cause your time under tension is smaller.

Good read
T NATION | Set/Rep Bible

If you cook with a lot of butter or oil, try cutting down on that amount. Proteins and carbs have 4 cal/gram, while fats have 9 cal/gram. That doesn't mean completely cut out fats though. Fish fat and the oils contained in fish skin are good for your heart (in moderation, as with everything). In addition, long term studies have shown that eating fish a few times a week will reduce your risk of heart disease.

You can still train heavy and cut fat. The problem is people think that you have to do a crap load of cardio, or do a lot of reps with little weight. As long as you eat clean, watch your portions, and keep lifting massive amounts of weight, you will cut that extra fat. Jim Wendler is a perfect example, when he created the 5,3,1 template. The old thought that you cant do a strength workout and cut fat, is a myth.

Thanks alot for all the input. I have changed a few things in the gym and at the table. I'll give this a go for a couple of weeks and report back.

Wow, all these replies and no one posted the obvious answer. If you aren't loosing fat, it is because you are eating too many calories/not burning enough calories. Start tracking your calories and if you want to lose 1/2 lb per week, eat 250 calories under maintenance. If you want to lose 1 lb per week eat 500 calories under maintenance. Eat 1 gr of protein per LBM. Eveything else is irrelevant.

Your maintenance is current body weight x 14 (220x14=3080 calories), so to lose 1lb per week, eat 2580 calories per day. Adjust after you lose 5-10 lbs. Just make sure you keep lifting heavy weights. It really is that simple.

Cardio! If your trying to decrease your size and weight and get lighter, thinner and faster you may need more cardio. Biking, swimming, running, stair climbing, etc. Get your heart rate up for sustained periods. Keep doing what you doing with diet. Maybe go to lighter weights to keep muscle but not gain more mass. It sounds like you are doing great; just keep it up and don't get frustrated.

This has worked for me, maybe it can work for you.

Beer belly / Spare tire is the hardest thing in the world to get rid of, with the exception of herpes...

Wow, all these replies and no one posted the obvious answer. If you aren't loosing fat, it is because you are eating too many calories/not burning enough calories. Start tracking your calories and if you want to lose 1/2 lb per week, eat 250 calories under maintenance. If you want to lose 1 lb per week eat 500 calories under maintenance. Eat 1 gr of protein per LBM. Eveything else is irrelevant.

Your maintenance is current body weight x 14 (220x14=3080 calories), so to lose 1lb per week, eat 2580 calories per day. Adjust after you lose 5-10 lbs. Just make sure you keep lifting heavy weights. It really is that simple.
Nobody probably mentioned it because counting calories sucks and takes way to much time.

Nobody probably mentioned it because counting calories sucks and takes way to much time.

it takes me less than 5 minutes to enter my food for the whole day. If you are serious about it, take a few minutes a day. Makes no sense to busy your ass working out, getting enough sleep, and screwing it all up because you are eating too much without even realizing it.

Oh I totally agree with you about having to count calories, if you are serious about it and dont know exactly what your body needs in order to gain or lose weight. After training so long and being surrounded by personal trainers and strength coaches for the last 12 years, I know what I need to eat to cut or gain weight.

Oh and paulo, I give you big props for counting calories. Most people are to lazy to even attempt it, that just shows you take your training seriously.

Oh and paulo, I give you big props for counting calories. Most people are to lazy to even attempt it, that just shows you take your training seriously.

Thanks. I do compete in Powerlifting (nothing serious, just for fun), so I have to watch what I eat if I want to stay in a certain weight class. Not to mention that I don't want to buy new uniforms for work. LOL.

I'm not big on fad diets or exercises, but I came across this program and tried it. Bodybuilding.com - Jim Stoppani's Six-Week Shortcut To Shred

Unlike most bs programs, this one seems to be very well thought out. It combines strength, cardio, core and changes it up every week. I will admit that it felt a little goofy doing the cardio-acceleration in between exercises, and at first it was not possible for me to do more than 15 seconds. As I progressed it became easier.

Also pay attention to the nutritional information. There are various types of carbs as there are fats and proteins. The program lays them out in a way that helps to boost your metabolism.

Now I was trained in the Navy as a fitness coordinator and conducted a remedial exercise program, but I am not degreed in strength and conditioning, and wont come off like I am. There is a wealth of info available to assist with proper nutrition, but the key is to eat the right foods, at the right time, in the right quantities, i/e eating after 6 pm. Sure you do not want any excess carbs late at night unless you work at night. It is fine to have proteins in the correct portions. Just think if you ate at 5 in the morning and then did not eat again till 6 pm. You are starving your body and in short is counter productive to a healthy metabolism.

As for the supplements in the program, I am still using the protein (whey and casein), CLA, fish oils / omegas, and multivits. Some guys write the program off as some big commercial, and yes Dr Stoppani gets paid by the sponsor, but you can tailor the program to suit you and get the supps wherever you want.

Now during the 6 weeks, I got much stronger, and started shedding the fat. I am/was not obese but since military retirement had kicked back too much and had the old spare tire and double chin going for a while. On the scales I only lost 5 lbs, but that was because I was exchanging fat for lean muscle. Now I have switched to the Shortcut to size program, and my metabolism is in full swing, I am dropping weight at about a lb a week. Again, it takes a good two months for your body to get into the swing of things.

I am down a few pant sizes and feel pretty damn good. Hopefully get a six pack by Christmas. I am 45 but feel better than I have in a very long time.

As for food tracking, I use the "Lose it" program on the iphone. This one is excellent, because you can scan barcodes of the food you eat. I used the total calorie recommendation from the Lose it program combined with eating schedule of the shred program. It worked out pretty good.

In the end, do what works for your. There are no short cuts, no magic pills. Just eating/hydration, exercising, and rest.

Good Luck!

I use the My Fitness Pal to keep up with calorie intake. I am between 2300 and 2800 a day now that I am lifting a lot harder. The biggest part of it is protein. When I first started I tried to stay around 1800 to 2000,and all I was doing was walking. Every day or two at work someone asks me how much weight I've lost and still tell them 40 lbs. Most them don't believe I still weigh 220. I guess it's happening,I just can't see it it in mirror. I guess I'm my worst critic. I know it doesn't happen over night,but I'm not the most patient guy in world. When I start a project I don't quit until I see some major progress. I guess I'll just have to accept the fact on this project it will take some time. I'll keep on keeping on and see what happens. I've gotten to I like to where I like the pain or burn,what ever you want to call it, after a hard workout. I look forward to that feeling. Thanks again for all the advice and support.

Try adding in some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, submission wrestling or MMA classes two to three times a week. A combination of explosive strength and heavy cardio...it's an asskicker of a workout, but if you're eating right the pounds will melt off. That, and it's really fun.

Google Paleo Diet. at 43 my abs are ripped and im benching 285lb. Counting calories sucks, fuck that, trust me dude, and forget all this other crap. Let your genetics do the work and eat fuel that turns up your metabolism. Weight loss is 80%, diet 20% workout. You can feel full and loose weight. Don't listen to anyone who says workout more, do this then do that, it starts with your diet. Ever go to the gym and see the same heavy person on the starimaster every day and they don't seem to loose weight, it's because their diet sucks not because they don't workout.

Yes, I used to be a personal trainer, I have lost weight and helped others achieve their personal goals.

Last edited:

There it is, right there. You have to burn more calories than you take in, plain and simple. Studies have shown the best time to work out is first thing in the morning as that is the time your body will consume the most calories as your body has not taken in any while you are asleep. That is the time you will burn off the excess calories. Eat lots of fish and go minimal on the alcohol of any kind. Not only be aware of what you eat but also what your food is cooked in. Keep in mind that everyone is different so what works well for one may not work as well for others and genetics do play a role. For me, I only eat when my body tells me to and even if it's dinner time, if I'm not hungry I don't eat. One thing I do do is I have a 16-20 oz. glass of Tru Moo low fat chocolate milk, read the ingredients, you'd be surprised, mixed with a healthy scoop of whey protein powder. Gets me through the day with no problems. I will also admit I have a physical job that helps keep me in shape. Wearing 20lbs of weight around your waist, going up and down ladders, crawling in attics and under houses tends to do that.

If you have a smartphone download the "lose it" app. It's free and makes counting calories simple with its database. You can even scan the barcode of what you're eating and it will come up automatically.

Mix cardio 3 times a week long distance runs 3-7 miles at 8:30 pace and twice a week get on a track and sprint:

1 mile warm up
8 x 200 meter sprints 45 seconds and below target should be 40 and below
2 x 400 meter sprints 1:30-2 minutes per lap
1 mile cool down

Or run for 30 minutes :

Run fast for 5 minutes
Jog for 1 minute

Repeat until your 30 minutes is up

Also try spinning for 1 hr and row machines.

Following this program and changing my diet I lost 30 lbs in 3 months and and have kept it off for over 2 years

I hit the wall like you last summer, after not seeing any results for about 2 months I decided to try the insanity videos. wow! I lost another 26lbs in 5 weeks that put me below my goal weight. in the beginning I was only doing about half the workouts because I was wore out 5 minutes into them. I didn't feel too bad because if you watch the people in the workouts they are constantly stopping for a breaks. about 3 weeks into I was staying with them and week 4 is where the weight fell off. good luck!

Almonds
Apples
Arugula
Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Blueberries
Black Beans
Broccoli
Brown Rice
Cauliflower
Celery
Eggs
Garbanzo Beans
Grapes
Hummus
Oranges
Quinoa (Quinoa Feta Spinach Salad)
Romaine Lettuce
Shrimp
Strawberries
Sunflower Seeds
Sweet Potato
Watermelon
Wheat Flour
Whole Wheat Bread
Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns (Nutrisystem Turkey Hot Dog)
Zucchini
GOOD CARBS,,,LOW GLYSEMEMIC