• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Getting the same chamber in two rifles

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I'm wondering how one goes about getting very similar chambers in two different rifles...at lease similar enough to exchange brass between the two. My idea is to have a hunting and a target rifle set up in 280AI so that I can fire form brass out of the hunting rig and shoot the ff'd brass from the target rig. Sort of even the barrel wear out in my mind as I don't tend to put a lot of rounds through hunting only rifles. Seems to me I'd want to have the chambers cut at the same time with the same reamer, but I'm curious if this is even necessary.

Re: Getting the same chamber in two rifles

Using the same reamer is the most important part. It would be helpful but not necessary to chamber both at the same time. If chambered at different times then you would want to have the chamber headspaced "the same", ideally just above minimum.

What would be the point? to save barrel life on the target? Im sure it could be done, if both barrels were identical, and were sent off to the same GS. and chambered with the same reamer to the same tolerances. but what would be the gain? Its not like the 280AI is an especially horrible barrel burner?

Are either one of these rifles built yet?

point:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surffshr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> so that I can fire form brass out of the hunting rig and shoot the ff'd brass from the target rig. Sort of even the barrel wear </div></div>

Nothing built yet

I could see this if you wanted a heavy target barrel and a lighter hunting barrel.
Yes, it is possible to get them very close. I assume you want them to be cone so neck sized brass will fit either chamber. I think that would just require a little extra thought at the reloading bench.

that seems like a whole lot of money to spend on two rifles, why not just build a extremely accurate rifle that has the best characteristics of both. Just reduce the wear to one gun and replace the barrel as needed.
But if your dead set on two, you might want to invest in your own reamer for the pair. So down the road you can rechamber a barrel blank back to the same specs.

If you want identical chambers in two different guns the best bet is probably to send them both at the same time to the same smith and instill the importance of using the same tool and doing the work back to back.

Ask that the rifles be headspaced to the same dimension. It's a simple task really.

The rub you may find is locating a smith that will offer assurance that he can chamber the guns "to the number."

I don't use NO GO gauges. I use the GO and then stack shim stock on the back of the gauge to know exactly where I'm at. I chamber all of my guns to a value of GO +.001". This way if they come back and it's suddenly GO +.005" I know something happened. Prolonged heavy loads, the barrel came off and wasn't tightened back up, etc.

Once a guy gets used to the process its a simple task.

Good luck with your project(s)

C

I built 2 6x47L's for twin brother and I and you could chamber brass from one to the other. One a Broughton tube the other a Krieger which doesn't matter. As Chad does, mine were Go + .001. Hell, if I can do it it is a piece of cake for a real smith like Chad!
smile.gif
I musta screwed up somewhere though cause the Krieger would run 80fps faster with same load.lol

It's funny you mention the dif in FPS. A gunsmith/palma shooter friend of mine once told me that they always got higher velocity from Krieger than any other brand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want identical chambers in two different guns the best bet is probably to send them both at the same time to the same smith and instill the importance of using the same tool and doing the work back to back.

Ask that the rifles be headspaced to the same dimension. It's a simple task really.

The rub you may find is locating a smith that will offer assurance that he can chamber the guns "to the number."</div></div>

This is a good point. My shooting partner and I both have 300WM's. They were rebarreled within a week of each other with the same barrel mfg., by the same gunsmith using the same reamer. I asked if he'd used the reamer in the interim and he had not.

Upshot is, my brass will chamber in his rifle, his brass will NOT chamber in mine. I'm assuming mine is headspaced a *bit* tighter.

My son and I are building identical rifles and this will be one of the requirements.

John

jrob300-Kalispell???? That is where twin is. He took the Krieger because there was more room in MT for the bullet to slow down than in SD
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jrob300-Kalispell???? That is where twin is. He took the Krieger because there was more room in MT for the bullet to slow down than in SD
smile.gif
</div></div>

PM sent.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that seems like a whole lot of money to spend on two rifles</div></div>

errr...I want two?.
grin.gif
This is more of a rebarrel of two purpose built rifles anyhow...one being a 25-06 (hunting) and one being a 30-06 (heavy barrel target rig). I'm planning to rebarrel both in the near future. My thinking is AI brass needs fire forming to take advantage of the added capacity. Having two rifles set up with the same chamber would give me the benefit of using brass interchangably. Hell, I wish all my same caliber rifles could do the same. Craps me out to <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> to have sets of 308 brass for individual rifles. Plus, I bet I'll be able to work up a good enough hunting load with virgin brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if your dead set on two, you might want to invest in your own reamer for the pair. So down the road you can rechamber a barrel blank back to the same specs. </div></div>

I think this idea has merit. Guessing that the second barrel would be tighter than the first due to wear on the tool?