• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Getting things finalized... Texturing & now PAINT!

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
This has been explained already Randy HateCA from R&D Precision has a great write up. Here is mine waiting on the initial hour cure before removing tape:

2hnvuxs.jpg

14ax5og.jpg

155t7km.jpg

Re: Getting things finalized... Texturing

Looks good! but what do you do with some of the stuff that really sticks out? Do you knock it down with a sanding block after it's dry.

Once it starts to set and get firm you can just push it down. I've used a wet nitrex glove.

yeah, I just ended up running some sandpaper over it when it was hardened all the way. I will post up some pictures when I get the camo job done.. hopefully in the next day or two

Dave

Did you follow the other thread exactly? What I'm really after is what material did you use?

I want to do mine, but I want it to be a rougher/thicker texture if that makes sense. Like how Mike R does his rifles.

I'm thinking about using Acraglas Gel from Brownwells as I think it will hold its form better.

I used PC-7 on mine. I used the same stuff bedding my bottom metal and was very disappointed with how soft it felt after cure. Well, I must have mixed it wrong because with this texture it was very strong and hard. I will use it again. I don't think you will be happy with acraglas because it will settle more than Marine Tex, Devcon Steel Putty, or even this PC-7. Before I knocked the sharpness off this morning, it was very aggressive. I am sure if you could see this in person, you would be happy with it... I am going to post some picture tomorrow morning after the paint has a good chance to dry.

Dave

just a heads up, the devcon in the small tubes will not give you that texture. neither will JBWeld. it has to be thicker like PC7, Devcon 10110 putty and marinetex.

Re: Getting things finalized... Texturing & now PAINT!

looks great. i like the stainless. will that be getting coated/painted as well?

You did all that hard work and went with Krylon?
smirk.gif

You should have boxed it up an sent it out to ARP!

yes, I will be blasting it with alum/oxide and then durabaking it matte black as soon as I decide how I am going to cook it. Until then, I am going to shoot it how it is...

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did all that hard work and went with Krylon?
smirk.gif

You should have boxed it up an sent it out to ARP! </div></div>

The hard work was in all the epoxy, well not hard, but definately time consuming, and the waits nearly killed me. I figure with krylon, it will be easy to touch up and stuff, but yes, ARP is the man, if this wasn't built on a budget I would have had him do another one for me...

Dave

Yes I found out when working with pc7 you have a really long cure time. That can be to your advantage though, as far as making little adjustments before it sets up. Here is a pick of my boyds tacticool stock for my 10/22.
HPIM0237.jpg

I am going to go with duracoat olive drab.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once it starts to set and get firm you can just push it down. I've used a wet nitrex glove. </div></div>

+1 It's a lot easier than sanding/filing once it is cured. Wait until the surface is firm but not yet hard and take a wetted finger and run it around the edges after the tape is lifted. This gives a professional finished look to the edge. Afterwards you can just run your finger over the surface and knock down the texture as little or as much as you want.

Wow, great results, I think I'll try this on a junk stock and if it turns out decent do it on a few of mine.

GASLIGHT, look in this thread and you will see a DIY curing oven. guy used insulated duct and cap on top with a hot plate under it and he got the air gap set and temps consistent. $20 or $30 if that

Ok so I just did mine today and like the stubborn person I am I did it a little differently and used the Acraglass product from Brownells. Now this is not the regular Acraglass, its the Agraglass <span style="font-weight: bold">gel</span>.

It curing right now, I really like the thicker bigger texture, and once its fully cured I will sand the peaks off. I'm really glad I did it this way as its turning out just how I wanted it.
texture1.jpg

texture2.jpg

texture3.jpg

Sorry about the poor iphone photos...but it should show what it looks like.

CAP

Looks awesome! I don't know if my pictures are bad or what, but that looks about the same aggressiveness as mine turned out with. Even after sanding down the peaks, it is plenty.

Nice work