• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Ghillie 'cloak' ?

SpookyPistolero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I have been considering making a ghillie for stalking when hunting. I don't know that I'm ready to invest the time for a standard type ghillie suit. So I've wondered why making a cloak style ghillie is never done? I imagine using netting as the cloak base, then adding fibers as needed, would save hours, and include an integral hood. The only con would be tugging on your neck, but using some shoulder or chest ties (tying off to a bdu shirt or something) would prevent this.

I'm sure this has been tried, so what hangup am I missing?

I made one ghille. ONCE. and have bought two of the cheaper ones on predatorhunter.com Like 80 bucks. But for the ghiller kits, and bdu set cost me around 120 bucks and I spent HOURS making it, and about after I got done stitching the netting onto the bdus. I got impatient with the jute and wish I did it right the first time. But In any case you can buy some decent ghille suits, or if your determined enough just make it your self. I would at least use maybe a light parka style jacket and go that route. And just make the netting a little longer and stitch it onto the parks and hood.

they will work well for walking and hunting, however they won't work well for a "stalk" if you are going to have to do any low crawling or anything like that.

For hunting you don't need much. Head and shoulders down to your elbows is about all you need. I did a bdu shirt as my base, $20 netting off of eBay, and jute from burlap at Walmart. The shirt was from work but other than that I have about $35 in the setup. That includes a skid plate, heavy drop cloth from Lowes, and shoe goo.

If your doing stalking you need something attached to you. If not it will pull off in the first few feet of moving through brush. I had thought about making a modular system that buttons on but I sewed mine on instead.

I like a boonie hat instead of a hood as well. Make it long in the back like a mullet. When you set up to shoot or your getting close turn it around so it covers your face. Jute in your face for a long time sucks.

So I've wondered why making a cloak style ghillie is never done?

It is done.I used a traditional ghillie for sniper school like everyone else but afterwards it becomes obvious that it's impractical to hump one around in your ruck, not to mention it takes up a lot of space/weight. I use an old desert night parka now that I've spray painted with some attached netting and very minimal burlap and rely on natural vegetation for the break up. It's light and compact and you can actually wear it over your other kit so you don't have to stop and do the full on undress/get dressed shuffle in the ORP. You can find the desert night parkas at most gun shows or surplus stores for around $20 +/- and the great thing is that if you have a "smoking jacket" liner you can button it into the parka for those chilly days.

Interestingly enough, one of the oldest war time ghillies known to exist is in the Imperial war museum in the UK. Guess what it looks like? Follow the links to see the pics and read the story.

Camouflage Robe British Sniper's (UNI 6060)

Camouflage Robe British Sniper's (UNI 10425)

WWI Sniper Camouflage ? MultiCam circa 1916? | Strike ? Hold!

Thanks for the information and interesting links! I may make a burlap cloak to waist length then add some netting. If anyone has pics of similar works I'd love to see them.

Hunting? All you need to do is stay downwind. You can wear anything you want and get a 10 yard archery kill if you pay attention to the wind. You could be invisible, and if they smell you at 100 yards they are gone.

That said, I sew some net and velcro loops to my hat and shirt to stuff surrounding veg. This breaks up my outline if I am spotted. Tons of burlap is for mall ninjas. Nothing beats the natural veg.

For what its worth, you can get 80% or more of the ghillie function out of a caped garment, assuming you arent going to be low crawling 6 miles.
As of late we've made a couple 'blankets' for guys who want to be able to set up and just throw a ghillie blanket over all their gear and themselves for a super quick hide.

If your not worried about spending a little money or plan on doing any low crawling i'd go with Tactical Concealment's Viper series.

I have been considering making a ghillie for stalking when hunting. I don't know that I'm ready to invest the time for a standard type ghillie suit. So I've wondered why making a cloak style ghillie is never done? I imagine using netting as the cloak base, then adding fibers as needed, would save hours, and include an integral hood. The only con would be tugging on your neck, but using some shoulder or chest ties (tying off to a bdu shirt or something) would prevent this.

I'm sure this has been tried, so what hangup am I missing?

Here you have a link to a shop in the US that sells those Ghillie cloaks.
Tactical Concealment Manufacturing: Ghillie Suits and Ghillie Supplies for Snipers in the military and law enforcement