• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Ghillie Construction Thread

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Okay, we have many threads about where to get ghillie supplies, how to build suits, and stuff like that.

Maybe this thread can be stickied so the same question will not be asked over and over again.

<span style="font-weight: bold">First, supplies-</span>

bdu/dcu/acu/marpat base and some sort of head gear. It all depends on what you like

Netting- size of holes may very, its all personal choice again. (Black/brown/tan/od green would be a good choice for colors)

Burlap- 3-5 yards. Once again, personal choice.

Dye for Burlap- I like Tac Con, Rit Dye is alright, not the best though.

Cordura- 1000d is best, can get it in many different patterns and colors

Needle/thread. Get many needles and #69 thread. Sewing machines are great too.

shoogoo- can use to attach netting, though it will not stick to the coating on the back of cordura.

Paracord can be used for tieing in veg. Rubberbands work well too, as well as hair ties.

Some sort of mesh for vents in the suit is needed. Its all personal preference.

I may have forgotten something, but this list looks pretty complete.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> How to Build the Suit</span>

1) Start off with the base clothing. The first thing I always do is sew on the cordura. Cut the corura to fit the front of the jacket, and also have the cordura on the legs span from the bottom of the knees to close to the top of the pants.

Sew this on with #69 thread. This will take a while if you do it by hand, but it is manageable. I've done it. A sewing machine helps greatly though.

2) Vents- Cut a square out of the back of the jacket. The mesh will go over this to keep stuff out but lets heat escape. Vents can be put anywhere you would like on the suit. The top of the hat and the back of the jacket are the two places where vents SHOULD be placed. Vents can also be put in the armpits and back of the legs. The mesh can be shoogood on, though I prefer sewing.

3)Netting- The netting can be tacked on using shoogoo, and it can also be sewn on.

Shoogoo method- basically lay the netting on the back of the garmints and tack down the knots where the netting comes together. Do this on all the edges with shoogoo and in random places along the suit. Pull the netting up and make suit that it can not be lifted any more than 2" above the base garmint. if so, add more shoogoo to that area.

Sewing method- lay the netting on the base garmint. cut strips of bdu material or cordura and lay those on the edges of the suit. They can be tacked in place with shoogoo to keep them there for sewing . Sew them down and sew little patches inside that area to keep the netting from being too loose.

4)The veil- Put a vent in the top of the boonie as mentioned above. Do not have netting coming over the front brim of the boonie. The burlap just gets in the way and is a major hindrance. Have the netting come off each side and the read 1 - 2 ft. The netting can be sewn to the boonie or shoo goo can be used.

5)Garnishing the suit- cut the burlap into 1-2ft by 1-2ft squares and start shredding it. put the strands in a pile. This gets messy and it is best to do it outside, but not in an area that is affected too much by wind. Cut some strips of burlap as well. This will break up the pattern of just burlap strands. Tie the burlap onto the netting of the suit. DO not over-laod it. It is easier to add more rather than reduce the amount. Tie it onto the jacket, pants and veil to your desired amount. We all should know how to dye it if it is wanted...

Feel free to add to this. This is just a rough draft, and it will be edited as other things are added.

Remember, veg is the edge. Burlap will not hide you completely, natural veg is the key factor and will help out much more than burlap.

Mods- how bout a sticky?

Re: Ghillie Supplies/Construction /etc...

The problem with having stickys everywhere is the first page inevitably gets full of nothing but stickys. We try to cull them as often as we can however they build back up.

Besides, there are always differing opinions on how to do something and that leads to debate, which in turn leads to confusion for the searcher trying to learn what to do.

Having a good title to the thread so it can be easily found in a search would do wonders for the thread.

Alright, sounds good Mike.

on top for new guys...

I always use a light colored uniform as a base such as desert marpat cammies. Its easier to make it darker if needed in certain areas. I like to use tactical concealment dye in spray bottles with some brown dye on one, and green in the other. I blend the two colors together to achieve the best earth tone colors that will work in a variety of invironments.

For reinforcements, I like to use duck canvas as it is not as noisy as cordura. It may not be as durable, but it will last awhile and you could always patch up any holes in the future. Again I pick a light color such as tan and dye it the same way as my cammies. I may so use spray paint to help break it up further. I also use spaypaint on any shoegoo to get rid of the glossiness.

I like to use 1.75" netting as the smaller stuff is to tight for me. After all, you don't ne'er alot of burlap or jute. Too much will make you look like a wooly booger.

For garnish, I have a bunch of military burlap sandbags that I take apart and use the stands. I so have an abundance of 2" burlap rolls in brown, light brown and green. You can't really dye the rolled burlap as the dye on it is pretty thick and kinda sticky.
The military sandbags work very well. If left in the sun for a few days, they turn a golden brown color that blends in pretty well. Once I apply my garnish, I used the dye in the spray bottles to help break up the color of the military sandbags as that is my primary color.

I try to stray away from using alot of green burlap as vegetation will help out. Plus it can leave "dark spots" if your in a dry field. Even with vegetation.

I usually don't add vegetation to my legs as they will be hidden from the front of my body.

To help break up my gloves, I use natural muslin and dye it in various greens and browns...kinda like tie-dye, then I sew it on the back of my gloves.

YMMV

I agree with using the light colored base. Even though i am in northern Michigan, I use a Desert camo base, and light colored cordura, and mostly natural jute. My first suit I ever made was mostly dark green, so it was way too dark.

Thats a good idea with putting the tac con die in spray bottles, I may need to try that.

Shoogoo has never held up for more than a couple months of crawling for me. I sew the netting on with upholstry thread. It takes forever, but it's better than having to re-do eveything every couple months. Plus, Shoogoo fumes give me a wicked headache.

Another thing that is nice is some sort of thumb-loop setup on the cuffs of the top. This prevents your sleeves from invariably sliding up your arms whilst worm-crawling.