• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gibbs 1903A4 Sniper

SB15

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2013
Bought a new Gibbs 1903A4 sniper and cannot believe how the gun shoots. I've put about 300 rounds through it in the past two weeks and the scope has been spot on. This is today's target. The top 3 shots are from 100 meters and the bottom 3 shots are from 200 meters. I cheated a little by using a led sled and used Federal 168 Match ammo. I'm still speechless.
IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
My Dad bought one a year or so ago, nice repro rifles, but the scope leaves some to be desired.

You got a keeper. Very nice. Using a lead sled is not cheating but merely proper use of a tool to evaluate how well a rifle will shoot if the human error factor is minimized. In my experience Fed. Match is the best brand.

Congrats on your Gibbs! Looks like you got "one of the good ones" based on those results (excellent work on your part too by the way).

The scope is a G4 or generation 4. I really think they worked out the kinks because I've been smacking it around to see if I can knock it off zero but no luck yet. I've ordered some cheap Greek ammo and want to see how she does with some of the older ammo. Anyone every use that Federal Match on Deer? I used some premium hunting ammo...soft point...but the groups open up a little bit.

Those rifles are great aren't they? And that is great shooting.

Mine shoots extremely well too, and paper punching at 200 yards is too easy. I am stretching it out to 300 yards and beyond, but I had to change out the scope since the 2.5X Hi-Lux is just not enough for a 7" 10 ring to be seen in the crosshairs adequately at long ranges (in my opinion).

So I changed the scope out to a Weaver fixed 6X by 38 mm.

I've found 168 grain to be a superb performer in mine, but have switched over to 190 grain SMK for long range to maximize the potential of the wonderful 30-06 cartridge. Cheers.

Those rifles are great aren't they? And that is great shooting.

Mine shoots extremely well too, and paper punching at 200 yards is too easy. I am stretching it out to 300 yards and beyond, but I had to change out the scope since the 2.5X Hi-Lux is just not enough for a 7" 10 ring to be seen in the crosshairs adequately at long ranges (in my opinion).

So I changed the scope out to a Weaver fixed 6X by 38 mm.

I've found 168 grain to be a superb performer in mine, but have switched over to 190 grain SMK for long range to maximize the potential of the wonderful 30-06 cartridge. Cheers.

I'm so glad you brought up changing the scope out. I was looking at buying another scope and was curious what would be the best option. Is the scope you bought a vintage scope or is it new? My fear with going with a vintage scope is the clarity of the lens's. The repro scope that gibbs has is surprisingly clear and lets in a lot of light. Any suggestions on what to change it out with?

If you are planning on deer I would just put on whatever you like, like a leupold. You have a refield base. I would just buy some proper size redfield rings and put them on your scope of choice. Personally I like a scope with ballistic rings so you can just dial in your range once measured or guessed and have at it.

To the best of my knowledge the SMK are a hollow point but they are not a HP in the classic expansion sense. The hollow center increases stability as the bullet spins. It is probably legal in most states since it is not a FMJ. I would double check in your state. Although not as deadly expansion wise the increased accuracy should more than make up that.

The SMK is not recommended on deer by Sierra but on .30 cal and up they have worked just fine for me many times if that was what I had zeroed with, but not my go to ammo for deer hunting , BT's , Accubonds , S Game kings and SST's and amaxs these days. Nice rig and target you have there ! very best

I'm so glad you brought up changing the scope out. I was looking at buying another scope and was curious what would be the best option. Is the scope you bought a vintage scope or is it new? My fear with going with a vintage scope is the clarity of the lens's. The repro scope that gibbs has is surprisingly clear and lets in a lot of light. Any suggestions on what to change it out with?

To answer your question about the scope I used, here it is: Weaver K-6 Classic 6 x 38 mm Hunting Duplex Riflescope 849418 FREE S&H 849418. Weaver Rifle Scopes.

You will need Weaver HIGH Grand Slam 1" rings so the objective bell can clear the forearm wood. The scope is matte finish even though Optics Planet photo looks like it is gloss. Low cost and looks at least somewhat compatible with a Springfield 1903. This was a prime concern with me, because externally this Weaver scope looks simple and old, but the clarity is superb. Its is one of Optics Planet's best sellers.

I also bought a lace up cheek pad to tie onto the buttstock, because the new Weaver sits a lot higher than the Hi-Lux. Couldn't get a good cheek weld without adding a pad.

Last edited:
Didn't Gibbs come up with a more correct sight base than the current Redfield? The problem with the current Redfield is that they are made WRONG for the 1903A3/A4.

I would need to cut and weld two CURRENT bases to make one that sits correctly. More work than what I care to do right now.

Didn't Gibbs come up with a more correct sight base than the current Redfield? The problem with the current Redfield is that they are made WRONG for the 1903A3/A4.

I would need to cut and weld two CURRENT bases to make one that sits correctly. More work than what I care to do right now.

Haven't hear this particular problem as to rifles delivered from Gibbs before. Typically they come with base and scope mounted. The very early rifles (4 or 5 years ago) had some sloppiness is assembly (loose screws etc.) and the first generation scopes marked "FM Optics" were found to be wanting.

A few people have gone on at length about how the new Chinese manufactured Redfield bases (the ones in blister packs) are somehow defective. I am not in a position to dispute these individuals but one would think that a company with Redfield's reputation and standing would correct a manufacturing problem. The base is a simple product and fixing it, if it needs fixing, is not rocket science. Certainly Gibbs used a "Redfield JR style" base but who they sourced the bases from is not clear.

The only other obvious potential problem with any of the clones would be if the mounting holes drill into the receiver are out-of-line or off center.

PS The original M1903A4's ALL had shims installed between the receiver and the base. There was a set of shims (from .005" to .020" which would be mixed and matched to get the base to the proper height for maximum elevation with the internal adjustments. The shims were almost always installed in front ao the effect was that none of the bases fit perfectly flush with the receiver.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:
I bought another rifle from Gibbs.

Talking to them, I managed to talk myself into a deal on one of these 1903A4s.

Now I just have to come up with the money. :)

Sweet rifle you got there sir. To those who are experienced with the newer repro`s: what would yall say are the best vintage sniper scope repros out there? Weaver? Is the new Leatherwood/HiLux any good?

Thanks.

Sweet rifle you got there sir. To those who are experienced with the newer repro`s: what would yall say are the best vintage sniper scope repros out there? Weaver? Is the new Leatherwood/HiLux any good?

Thanks.

All the M1903A4 clone builders seem to use the same Leatherwood/Hilux/Malcolm copy of the Weaver 330. The most current production are reportedly marked with the maker's name and "M73G4". The first generation reproduction scopes offered on the Gibbs rifles were marked "FM Optics" and "M73G1" - these are the scopes which were problematic prompting Gibbs to find a new supplier, Leatherwood.

Thanks.

I have to say that I've put 300 rounds through this rifle so far and the zero is perfect...have not had to correct anything. The clarity of the optic is on par with any of the new optics out there...and I'm a pretty die hard Zeiss or Swarovsky fan. The problem is that most of my hard core hunting scopes dont have a 2.5 power. The only thing I have to compare it to is my Trijicon Accupoint 1x4. At 2.5 power, the sharpness in picture is very similar. The trijicon excels (obviously) in low light conditions.

For those of you who are familiar, the groups shot by the OP are outstanding by any measure. What kind of accuracy can be reasonably expected out of these reproductions, with the shooter out of the equation?

Thanks for the compliment! I spent 13 years in the Marine Coprs...but in reality I was using a Lead Sled...so I dont think I was any part of the equation...although I'd like to think I was! Using my range bag to lean on and a sand back for the rearward base, I was able to consistently hit 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 with the occasional 2 inch group either due to my breathing or the "flyer". All in all though I'd say she's a shooter and a keeper! What makes this gun hard to shoot at a distance is obviously the low powered scope...but by no means is the scope of lesser quality than anything else I own...somehow they did it right!

Very nice rifle. I have one that is a Rock Ridge Arsenal and I like the way it shoots. I have been using the Hornady match sold by the CMP and got very good results with their ammo. I had also started reloading with 168 SMKs and RL19, and improved the accuracy quite a bit. My rifle came with the updated scope (M73G4), which functions well, but the limited magnification takes some getting used to. Enjoy your rifle.

There is an "RR" stamped on my barrel...not sure what that means...but wiser minds will know.

There is an "RR" stamped on my barrel...not sure what that means...but wiser minds will know.

If you pull your barreled action out of the stock, and look on the bottom side of the barrel near the action the manufacturer should be stamped there. If there is no stamped name it is likely a ER Shaw barrel. I think the RR is for Rock Ridge, and should be stamped over the year manufactured. I think Rock Ridge made most if not all of these rifles, some went to Gibbs, some to Creedmoor, and some possibly to James River. I believe there are very few (if any) differences between the rifles, but the earlier ones may have had more original GI parts, the later ones more after market parts. Perhaps the biggest difference in the rifles are the scopes and mounts. I had read that the early rifles had problems with scope and mount quality. These issues were corrected in later rifles. My rifle is stamped RR 2012, with no manufacturer stamped on the barrel. I went over her fairly well and found very few USGI parts, but she shoots extremely well.

Current Gibbs are made in PA. At the range, I ran into a guy who works making them. Lancaster area.

Criterion barrels are on all the Rock Ridge rifles - marked RR (they manufacture for gibbs and creedmoor). My barrel was perfectly indexed and shot very well. I agree about the scope - it held zero just fine but the 3/4 tube, thick crosshair, and tiny objective lense made longer range work rather difficult.

In the end I sold it to free up funds but I give high marks for anyone interested in this specific platform.

Nice shooting rifle! These rifles have always had a special place in my heart. Congrat's on your fine shooting.

FWIW I spoke with Rock Ridge direct this morning, I too was confused about who builds what etc. They said they built the rifles AIM was selling along with Creedmore. They FORMERLY built rifles for Gibbs... RR bought out Gibbs, apparently some time in 2012 or early 2013, and they are no longer made. Gibbs M1903A4 may still be for sale, but none have been built to their specifications for some time. I purchased a Rock Ridge M1903A4 this morning.... they are now doing their own thing, building rifles under their own name using mostly GI parts, Boyds stocks, Criterion barrels and without the fake stampings, cartouches etc. some manufactures added to the rifles. They are still using the Hy-Lux G4 scope and report it's now pretty much trouble free. They said their new production rifles will have their full name on the barrel... underneath, as well as the RR stamp on the top front. Regarding the scope, I asked about the USMC title on it.... the person I spoke to laughed and said that was a mistake from the manufacturer. Was intended to be on a USMC version of the Unertl.