• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Gillie suit budget Build!

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I need help with a supply list for a gillie suit and a ghillie tarp.
How much money it is and where you get the item please ! This will be my first attempt

i'd start with tactical concealment ...

Probably not the best bet if your on a budget. Not cheap...

Home build bro. Purchase a cheap BDU shirt and pants from your nearest surplus store, some camo net base netting from either the surplus store again, a hardware or sewing supplies store.

You could easily keep the base under $50

That and as much and many sandbags, burlap tape etc as you can get. Test and adjust.

Contrary to what you see most of the time on the internet with all the ghillie being all burlap and jute. Most of the time the Burlap and jute is just used to tie in veg that is appropriate for the area.

Learn to do basic sewing with needle and nylon thread or even unwaxed floss. The Ghillie base doesn't have to be complex. It's just a base for you to add local vegetation to blend in. For a typical military style ghillie, you would take canvas and sew it to the front on the knee and chest area. Then the back of the blouse and trousers get a empty paracord mesh. Sometimes if your planning on being in a hot area, the back and top of the cover get cut out and replaced with a fine mesh for extra vent.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/Shay_Ellafrits/DSCI0581.jpg

Yeah I've seen that. Sewing canvas on your legs chest and elbow. And I'm assuming you don't put it on your right shoulder if your right handed?

Oh and another thing how do you go about sewing the mesh into the suit what do you take the thread over and under to make it stay securly

The days of BDU or flight suit based ghillies is long passed. I'll never use or build one that way again. To hot, to restricting, to much wasted time and effort.
The torso hood style tactical concealment makes is the way to go, and they can be hand made relatively easy and even cheaper than BDU style.

201116_517876618223978_40844825_o_zpse0d53db5.jpg
281058_517876971557276_1892547274_o_zpsaee3a8b1.jpg
48197_517877048223935_1479455178_o_zpsdd90149d.jpg

Last edited:
cheap, go to the craft sewing store and get the color yarn you want, cut end loops and you have great lengths to tie off on netting

A few fun ghille suit facts:

- Your first attempt will cost you 3 times the amount of money and time that your 'final' attempt will cost you and still look like total dogshit
- You will never be completely happy with it as you will always look at thick areas that need trimmed, which are now too thin and vice versa
- Your first few attempts you will look exactly like what you are; a guy in a ghille suit
- Your wife will not allow it in the house as it will smell like a mix between wet laundry you left in the washer for a few days and your trash can you put that thawed out chicken in
- It will give you a stroke in 15 minutes in >80 degree temperature
- You next to never actually need one if you utilize the terrain

ETA: - There is a good chance you will catch on fire.

With that said, I am actually looking at constructing one again sometime later this year :D

Last edited:
Most if not all ghillie suits are budget ghillies. Your imagination is as good as your ghillie.

Just a few notes in my opinion from experience:

Flight suits are okay but take a way the option of using your top as part of your FFP for those tripod/ standing shots.

The "throw ons" ( tactical concealment type suits) tend to be very quick to dawn and veg, easy to maintain how ever they usually rip and wear down easier and bunch up during crawls. And tend to be a little expensive.

The basic BDUs are HOT as HELL, heavy, bulky and take forever to make. But you can alter them a lot further than Flight suits and throw ons. For instance, vents, admin pockets, etc... Your imagination can only hold you back.

Each one will give you the same end result; a tool to use in concealment. A tool that only enhances your concealment. Ask any instructor or graduate at USASS you can pass stalks in a Ronald McDonald costume. You just need to learn the basics and practice.

This is one of my ghillies I made with leg, back and head vents.

Attachments

• 252470_225774134101600_2877241_n.jpg
    252470_225774134101600_2877241_n.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Contrary to what you see most of the time on the internet with all the ghillie being all burlap and jute. Most of the time the Burlap and jute is just used to tie in veg that is appropriate for the area.

Learn to do basic sewing with needle and nylon thread or even unwaxed floss. The Ghillie base doesn't have to be complex. It's just a base for you to add local vegetation to blend in. For a typical military style ghillie, you would take canvas and sew it to the front on the knee and chest area. Then the back of the blouse and trousers get a empty paracord mesh. Sometimes if your planning on being in a hot area, the back and top of the cover get cut out and replaced with a fine mesh for extra vent.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac122/Shay_Ellafrits/DSCI0581.jpg

Hell Yeah! That's my suit!

+1 on this, use burlap sparsingly and add natural veg as needed.

Here is my budget build. I really wanted light and packable so I went a bit like c-bass above (not as cool however). My poncho is pretty thick in the front and when on, hits me about the waist. Goes down to boot level in back. I use a couple plastic clips to keep it together and sitting properly. Multiple 550 cord points for attachment. YES, it is also too thick and does not have enough mud bath. That said, it was very cheap. Here is what I bought. All at Wally World.

1. Net from crafts section (like old fishing net). $7
2. Camo burlap. WalMart sells a 4x8 piece in hunting section. $15
3. 550 cord
4. Plastic plants (sprayed to get rid of shine). $10
5. Cut strips and started tying. Free (sorta.)
6. Spray paint

The hole is where it goes over my head. When sitting, I sometimes turn it around and let the long part hang down out front for cover. My hunting area is NTexas and Hill Country. I needed a bit of green and the fake plants work awesome for depth. Since this time, it has had a monster mudbath and some of the jute removed. I also added a little color here and there. It rolls into a ball and I have a net sack that I put it in. Weight est is around 3-4lbs.

LD

Last edited:
We used Rit clothing dye to dye jute available at good old gun friendly home Depot. The dye is available at the grocery store in about any color imaginable. Super cheap!