• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ginex primers?

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
I was on ammo seek looking for primers and saw deals in Ginex primers. What’s everyone’s experience and what are they comparable to?

They made in Bosnia, most say mil-spec, so the meet NATO ammo specs. From 50 BMG to 5.56 and 9mm. So primer cups should be similar to CCI mil spec. I've used them by the thousands, and they work fine, for any general purpose application.

They made in Bosnia, most say mil-spec, so the meet NATO ammo specs. From 50 BMG to 5.56 and 9mm. So primer cups should be similar to CCI mil spec. I've used them by the thousands, and they work fine, for any general purpose application.
Yay or nay for precision type shooting? 🤣

Reactions: phidelt208
Yay or nay for precision type shooting? 🤣
You'll have to try them for your individual load and rifle. I did a limited test with a heavy target 308 rifle with premium Lapua brass & commercial primers...against random. Military primed LC brass the Lapua brass usually only resulted in .1" better 5 shot groups. You spend a lot of money on premium components for one tenth of an inch. So I run these primers in 223, 300 blackout, 300 hamr, 308, and 50 BMG most exclusively in autoloaders.
I've shot small 5 shot groups with these primers in all those calibers less than .5" some to .25".
Would the groups be smaller, with brand name primers? Maybe, but not much?...These especially useful in autoloaders, blasting steel, plinking at targets informally.
And maybe not for someone trying to set competition records, or a personal best endevor...confidence is part of your accuracy toolbox.

while still expensive I love them so far they work just as good as the cci 41's I have also purchased except I had to get 15k worth per shot every one I have used so far had gone bang and the numbers were better than the results I got for the winchester lrp I have I am getting more if and when I am able to . the one thing I did not like about them was instead of say 15 boxes easy to handle like most other primers these have only the shipping box and 15k worth of loose trays of primers , it's easy to drop everything out once you open it .

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
I have not had good luck with them in 9mm, but have not used any rifle primers.

For the money, the Servicios Y Adventuras would be a better option for pistol.

Reactions: 308pirate

@Gustav7 What issues did you have with them in 9mm? Failures to ignite? What firearm(s) did it happen in?

The one thing I've heard about Ginex and some of the other foreign primers is that they might not be the best for pistols with light hammer/striker springs and sometimes require a second primer strike to ignite. Guessing this is due to them being designed for military applications where firearms with reduced power springs aren't an issue?

I picked up 10k of the SyA small pistol primers after hearing positive reviews, but the Ginex being over 6 cents per primer and the little bit of negative reviews gave me pause on buying any yet.

@Gustav7 What issues did you have with them in 9mm? Failures to ignite? What firearm(s) did it happen in?

The one thing I've heard about Ginex and some of the other foreign primers is that they might not be the best for pistols with light hammer/striker springs and sometimes require a second primer strike to ignite. Guessing this is due to them being designed for military applications where firearms with reduced power springs aren't an issue?

I picked up 10k of the SyA small pistol primers after hearing positive reviews, but the Ginex being over 6 cents per primer and the little bit of negative reviews gave me pause on buying any yet.

They're slightly wider so they are for one, very hard seating, and two, some cases just won't seat them all the way. So its not light strikes as much as it is, the primer is not seated even close to flush. Of course, this is using range pick up brass and I run mine on a Dillon 750 or 550. The amount of force to seat them is annoying and enough for me to not use them. Then on top of that you have a couple out of every hundred that don't seat all the way.

Not unserviceable, but annoying as hell. I'll pay a tad more for easy seating and no issues.

The small primers are both a little larger diameter. I mostly have been using SR CCI, WIN for all of my pistols for the last 6 years. So I ordered a few 1000 of the SP and 5000 of the SR a few months back. Most all of the SR will crush in 9mm brass. And fit in some of my 38/357 brass that has been loaded over 5x's. But on new and 1x fired the SR don't fit right. The SP also seems very tight on all brass but does not crush like the SR does.

I will not order any more of these. I have not had any problems with them other than that. I have shot them out of 4 different handguns and revolvers without a problem. I have not shot any of the SR out of my rifles. But the ones I loaded in the handgun cases still went off without issue.

Reactions: towerofpower93
They're slightly wider so they are for one, very hard seating, and two, some cases just won't seat them all the way. So its not light strikes as much as it is, the primer is not seated even close to flush. Of course, this is using range pick up brass and I run mine on a Dillon 750 or 550. The amount of force to seat them is annoying and enough for me to not use them. Then on top of that you have a couple out of every hundred that don't seat all the way.

Not unserviceable, but annoying as hell. I'll pay a tad more for easy seating and no issues.

The small primers are both a little larger diameter. I mostly have been using SR CCI, WIN for all of my pistols for the last 6 years. So I ordered a few 1000 of the SP and 5000 of the SR a few months back. Most all of the SR will crush in 9mm brass. And fit in some of my 38/357 brass that has been loaded over 5x's. But on new and 1x fired the SR don't fit right. The SP also seems very tight on all brass but does not crush like the SR does.

I will not order any more of these. I have not had any problems with them other than that. I have shot them out of 4 different handguns and revolvers without a problem. I have not shot any of the SR out of my rifles. But the ones I loaded in the handgun cases still went off without issue.

Seems you're both having the same issue. Guess I'm lucky I went with the SyA small pistol primers instead of the Ginex offerings for my "cheap" SPP bulk buy recently.

Thanks for the firsthand info and good luck using them up.

Reactions: Gustav7

I have a shitload of Ginex LR primers but haven't used any yet as I still have plenty of Winchesters too.

Nope. When seated all the way Ginex primers work 100% in my Shadow 2 with a 11.5 lb hammer spring. It does take a lot of force to seat them all the way (even more than Murom), particular in random foreign brass. In some brass the seating plunger left a smile (crease) on the primer but they all went bang no matter how ugly they looked in the pocket.

I've shot right about 10K of them before moving to Servicios which seat like butter and run 100% too.

There's a lot of bullshit repeated as truth by people with no first hand experience, such as "they're too hard". "they're for military use" etc....

I don't use them for anything that I would worry about SDs. So haven't tested that. I'm loading 300BO and .223 blaster loads in mixed Headstamp brass. No issues on a 650. Or in the Dillon RF primer vibrator.
I'm looking for primers for my 6x47 and saw these on sale. not sure if it's worth buying them or just waiting till i can get some 205's or 450's

I'm looking for primers for my 6x47 and saw these on sale. not sure if it's worth buying them or just waiting till i can get some 205's or 450's
I suggest you buy 1K and try them. At worst you can use them for blasting ammo in something else or sell them right quick. At best you have a new supply of primers that no one else thinks of using.

I go through A LOT of small pistol primers. During the covid freakout I decided to try anything that came to market. I had success with Murom, Ginex, and now Servicios y Aventuras. While other people where wasting time fretting online about these foreign brands or paying $150 plus per thousand for domestic primers, I never paid more than $80 per thou and shot without slowing down all the way through 2021 and 22.

Reactions: rg1911
My experience is with Ginex small pistol primers. I've run about 5000 of them in 9mm so far. A lot of my brass is 5x+ fired range pickup brass from IDPA and USPSA matches. If they are a little bigger and stiffer to seat as some of you have mentioned, it works out in my favor in 5x+ fired brass as I can load them more times before primer pockets are too loose.

I have run these Ginex SPP in my Glocks with 4 and 4.5 lb lightened striker springs with no failures to ignite. CCI magnums that I picked up by mistake a while back only light off about 2 out of every 3 rounds in the same Glocks.

I suggest you buy 1K and try them. At worst you can use them for blasting ammo in something else or sell them right quick. At best you have a new supply of primers that no one else thinks of using.

I go through A LOT of small pistol primers. During the covid freakout I decided to try anything that came to market. I had success with Murom, Ginex, and now Servicios y Aventuras. While other people where wasting time fretting online about these foreign brands or paying $150 plus per thousand for domestic primers, I never paid more than $80 per thou and shot without slowing down all the way through 2021 and 22.

My experience is with Ginex small pistol primers. I've run about 5000 of them in 9mm so far. A lot of my brass is 5x+ fired range pickup brass from IDPA and USPSA matches. If they are a little bigger and stiffer to seat as some of you have mentioned, it works out in my favor in 5x+ fired brass as I can load them more times before primer pockets are too loose.

I have run these Ginex SPP in my Glocks with 4 and 4.5 lb lightened striker springs with no failures to ignite. CCI magnums that I picked up by mistake a while back only light off about 2 out of every 3 rounds in the same Glocks.

Gents, thanks for the firsthand info. I still had plenty of Rem 1.5 SPPs when the Ginex, Murom, and other foreign SPPs hit the market in 2020, so I didn't need to experiment until recently when I bit on 10k of the SyA SPPs.

I mainly use range pick up brass for .380 and 9mm, so it sounds like the Ginex wouldn't be too big of an issue should I need to get some in the future.

Reactions: 308pirate
Shot about 150 rounds of 380acp with these this week. It is Ruger 380 Security. All went off no problem. I will sort out the Euro brass in the future. Seems it and Armscor brass is way tight. And they also seem to fit tight or not at all in the 3 different shell holders I have for it.

I have found the upper load limit for GINEX SRP (the brass colored one).

Fairly hot loads with CCI450, CCI41, or WIN41, blank primers when using the GINEX.
Had same issue with the old Win SRP.
Primers-and-pins-new-barrel.jpg

BUT,
Once sorting out the weight outliers, and shooting a little lighter load do fine.
Flo-Primer-Test.jpg

4 targets with CCI450, one each with WIN41 and Ginex.
The shooter (my wife) has this tendency to pull a shot or two though.
All 30 shots, half grain range in powder, 3 different primers, ended up being 1.6MOA, even with the fliers.

Last edited:
@whatsupdoc
Thanks for that info. I have the 4,5/3-P3
No wonder they handle pressure about like a Win SRP.
Win 41 seems OK.
Good thing I only have about 4600 of the Ginex left :)

Last edited:
I remember buying a 5K pack for $170 on sale at Midway 6 years ago. Now I can't stop regretting not buying 100K. It's not like they're going to go bad or you're never going to use them.
That's not that cheap, I bought CCI 450's from midway January 2021 for $234. Six years ago they were under $200.

The GINEX brass colored 4,5/3-P3 on the first 10 shots proved hotter than CCI #41 by producing MV 25fps higher. ES/SD up too. Hoping a small reduction in powder will have them humming in that single digit SD I had with #41s.

Reactions: PRSDietitian
Go to, Genex small rifle primer review , Nato reloading.
In their test the Genex was pretty good, better than CCI 41 in group size and S/D. They tested them against 4 or 5 other primers, with 10 shot groups. Velocities were similar and close enough in group size and S/D that they concluded it didn't make a difference... in their endevor. Although CCI had a 7 shot group of 1.6" comparref to 1.2" 10 shot for the Genex.
All other primers had 10 shot groups Genex and BR2 the smallest at 1.2".
All depends on all the variables as to which primer is right for your load and what your expectations are for that cartridge and firearm.
I use Genex primers, Russian primers, Argentina primers, and assortment if American primers.
They work and the bullet strikes the target... most of the time,...that may be all ya need...as 9mm or 380 close range plinking loads by the thousands. If you're trying to set a benchrest record, or shooting your smsllest group, these primers may require more scrutiny. Use em or don't. I have not had any trouble getting CCI primers. Lately rolls BR 4 s just sitting on the shelf for weeks. locally...and cheap BR 2s $9.79 per hundred. Today I have all the primers I want...but that could change.

Reactions: Mavrykk and simonp
Tried the Ginex SPP today. I used S&B 9mm OFB swaged on my RL1050 that I hand primed.

The Ginex went in smoothly with normal pressure and the amount of tension I like. IMHO they aren't any harder to seat than any of the U.S. primers.

For those having issues seating UG primers (especially 4,5/3-I), try a Co-Ax style priming system. I had major issuers with the UG 5.56 NATO (4,5/3-I) primers on all my presses, but switching to the Lee Breech Lock system on the APP changed everything (I think better leverage plays a big part). The 4,5/3-N (Non-NATO) primers seat easier. The 4,5/3-P3 primers are listed for .223 and contain less priming compound.

Primer details can be found here:

I use the "PRIMER 4,5/3-N .60 mm cup .027g charge" in Lapua SRP .308 Palma brass with a 155.5 Berger fullbore & 46.5 grains of Varget. Works great and gave me some better groups as compared to the same load with Lapua LRP brass with Wolf LRP.

This rifle primer is great for older brass with pockets that are starting to open up a little as the Ginex primers fit tight.