• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud Power Trimmer

charnicus

👻👻👻
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
Mos Eisley
I’ve got the Giraud Power Trimmer on deck to purchase. After watching countless videos and positive notes within this forum I’ve got a couple curiosities remaining.

Has the case’s play within the shell holder caused any issues for you guys? If so how have you overcome that.

Any issues with the chamfer and debur? Too much chamfer, not enough debur and vice versa?

Id be interested to hear any other issues and rectifications.

My experience with case prep has been with manual means only.

I’ve got the Giraud Power Trimmer on deck to purchase. After watching countless videos and positive notes within this forum I’ve got a couple curiosities remaining.

Has the case’s play within the shell holder caused any issues for you guys? If so how have you overcome that.

Any issues with the chamfer and debur? Too much chamfer, not enough debur and vice versa?

Id be interested to hear any other issues and rectifications.

My experience with case prep has been with manual means only.
You can adjust the cutter blades - + from devuring and champering

Too many fans of the giraud on the hides reloading mentor list to even question the product.

Reactions: charnicus
One of the most used reloading tools in my shop. If you are going to trim multiple calibers buy lock rings for each shell holder. The Hornady rings work well.
I’ve got a shit ton of the Forster rings. I ended up buying 50... lol kinda an accident ?‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: Snuby642
One of the most used reloading tools in my shop. If you are going to trim multiple calibers buy lock rings for each shell holder. The Hornady rings work well.

And buy multiple cutters. I found I can lightly stamp them (across the flat) with the caliber without any harm. It makes it easy to know which cutter goes with which die(s). Even made a little tool stand to hold them all....

Reactions: kthomas
And buy multiple cutters. I found I can lightly stamp them (across the flat) with the caliber without any harm. It makes it easy to know which cutter goes with which die(s). Even made a little tool stand to hold them all....
Yeah I planned on buying cutters for several calibers. I couldn’t imagine having to adjust for everything. Extra money is definitely worth time spent dicking around.

Reactions: MarinePMI
There is no auto-trickler, charge weighing system, or other reloading/time-saving device that will reduce the time per round like this trimmer. Prior to this I spent the most time messing with the brass. The drill based ones are ok, but nothing as stable and as fast as the Griaud.

I still use the a Hornady lock & load case prep center for all the odd calibers I shoot, but for any rifle I shoot with frequency I have a dedicated shell holder and cutter.

Reactions: charnicus
Yeah I planned on buying cutters for several calibers. I couldn’t imagine having to adjust for everything. Extra money is definitely worth time spent dicking around.
Buying caliber specific cutters if in your budget is wise, makes things easier. Just an FYI though, if you shoot a bunch cases in one caliber, say 6BR, 6XC, 6x47, and a 243 WIN, you may end up adjusting the cutter just because of the different dia of the necks. If it is set for 6BR, and you do 243 brass, all you will get is one heavy chamfer.

There is no auto-trickler, charge weighing system, or other reloading/time-saving device that will reduce the time per round like this trimmer. Prior to this I spent the most time messing with the brass. The drill based ones are ok, but nothing as stable and as fast as the Griaud.

I still use the a Hornady lock & load case prep center for all the odd calibers I shoot, but for any rifle I shoot with frequency I have a dedicated shell holder and cutter.
That’s like music to my ears.

Attachments

• F39BB8E2-02EC-4DF2-9B0C-DAEBDF620323.jpeg
    F39BB8E2-02EC-4DF2-9B0C-DAEBDF620323.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 77
Buying caliber specific cutters if in your budget is wise, makes things easier. Just an FYI though, if you shoot a bunch cases in one caliber, say 6BR, 6XC, 6x47, and a 243 WIN, you may end up adjusting the cutter just because of the different dia of the necks. If it is set for 6BR, and you do 243 brass, all you will get is one heavy chamfer.
With the case holders could I theoretically use a Creedmoor holder for any of the variations? I’ve got a 6mm but will start doing cases for my pops who shoots 6.5mm.

With the case holders could I theoretically use a Creedmoor holder for any of the variations? I’ve got a 6mm but will start doing cases for my pops who shoots 6.5mm.
NO, most cases have differing dia in the case shoulder area, you need to size your brass before trimming in the Giraud. I guess what I'm saying is, needs a tight fit, you could not hold your brass centered up, you'd tear case mouths to shreds.

Reactions: Fig
The cutter is adjustable, but there is a technique to adjusting it so the chamfer is perfect. It's a hell of a lot easier to have dedicated cutters than to readjust every time you switch calibers.

The shell holders need to be correct just like a reloading die needs to be correct.

But, some holders do double duty, say 6XC & 6x47 are the same, 6BR had a double too, think 6 SLR(?). I am down to 3 case holders today, sold most and pitched the labels for ones gone.

My 6.5 Creedmoor case holder does triple duty: 6.5, 6, and 25. The blades obviously don't care if they're 6 Dasher, 6XC, 6!Creedmoor, whatever, but I have dedicated blades for each caliber.

I use a 308 Win case holder to trim 260 Rem. Works fine. I use a 30/06 case holder to trim 270 Winchester, that also works fine. All I have to do with the 30/06 case holder since the 30/06 case gets trimmed shorter than the 270 Win., I place place two Dimes, one @ 3 0'clock & one @ 9 0'clock, which raises the lock ring to the perfect height to trim 270 cases to the proper length. I use the proper cutters for each caliber.

I would buy the 6.5 CM case holder and try it with the 6 CM with the proper cutter to see if it works for you.

My 6.5 Creedmoor case holder does triple duty: 6.5, 6, and 25. The blades obviously don't care if they're 6 Dasher, 6XC, 6!Creedmoor, whatever, but I have dedicated blades for each caliber.
I use a 308 Win case holder to trim 260 Rem. Works fine. I use a 30/06 case holder to trim 270 Winchester, that also works fine. All I have to do with the 30/06 case holder since the 30/06 case gets trimmed shorter than the 270 Win., I place place two Dimes, one @ 3 0'clock & one @ 9 0'clock, which raises the lock ring to the perfect height to trim 270 cases to the proper length. I use the proper cutters for each caliber.

I would buy the 6.5 CM case holder and try it with the 6 CM with the proper cutter to see if it works for you.
This is just what I was hoping to hear and saves some coin at that. ??

Outstanding product. I got mine to go through a few buckets of .223 brass I had saved up. Worth it for that job alone.

My next venture is going to be multiple cutter heads for each caliber. I only shoot 1 cartridge per dia. except for .30 so hopefully it works out painlessly.

I wanted to clarify something: I don't have a blade for each 6mm cartridge I shoot. I have one blade set up for each diameter. I have one 6mm, 25 cal, 6.5, and 30 cal. That covers 6 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher, 6 XC, 25 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, 300WM, and 300 Norma

I've had my Giraud since the early 2000s and won't sell it ... ever. I also have a 308, 6.5 and a 223 cutter that covers me trimming 223, 6.5CM, 260, 308 and 300wm that I have holders for. I did have to do some minor tweaking on the blade for the neck size bushings I use to get the right cut. It's a pain in the ass but is a set it and forget it adjustment.

Yeah see I was thinking in my head that say a Creedmoor case holder should be universal across the diameters since a different cutter would be used.

I do exactly this with no issues, not sure why others are saying you can't.

I'll be the (somewhat) dissenting opinion. I've had my Giraud for a few years now, and yes it saves a TON of time. There is no question that it's better than pretty much any other option out there. That said, it does have its quirks.

1.) Setting up cutters and case holders is a pain in the ass, and usually a little messy. They can be adjusted to give a perfect trim/chamfer, but if you play with different neck tensions it'll alter the angles of the cut.

2.) The case holders leave a little to be desired. It doesn't 'cause problems' with the case trim, but the play within the case holder on some cartridges is annoying. It'll also cause it to hurt your fingers (so wear gloves) with larger batches.

3.) This isn't so much a knock on Giraud, but your shoulder bumps probably aren't as consistent as you think they are. It'll help illuminate flaws in your process.

4.) I wish it had a different type of wrench design to swap cutter heads.

Everyone always raves about Girauds because they're great tools. HUGE time savers. That said, I wanted to provide some info as to their quirks.

Edit: If you really want to be a baller, the whidden click adjust lock rings would be freaking awesome on a Giraud; they're expensive though. Otherwise, you'll definitely want to swap for Hornady lock rings.

I'll be the (somewhat) dissenting opinion. I've had my Giraud for a few years now, and yes it saves a TON of time. There is no question that it's better than pretty much any other option out there. That said, it does have its quirks.

1.) Setting up cutters and case holders is a pain in the ass, and usually a little messy. They can be adjusted to give a perfect trim/chamfer, but if you play with different neck tensions it'll alter the angles of the cut.

2.) The case holders leave a little to be desired. It doesn't 'cause problems' with the case trim, but the play within the case holder on some cartridges is annoying. It'll also cause it to hurt your fingers (so wear gloves) with larger batches.

3.) This isn't so much a knock on Giraud, but your shoulder bumps probably aren't as consistent as you think they are. It'll help illuminate flaws in your process.

4.) I wish it had a different type of wrench design to swap cutter heads.

Everyone always raves about Girauds because they're great tools. HUGE time savers. That said, I wanted to provide some info as to their quirks.

Edit: If you really want to be a baller, the whidden click adjust lock rings would be freaking awesome on a Giraud; they're expensive though. Otherwise, you'll definitely want to swap for Hornady lock rings.
This is good. The negatives are equally as important as the positives.

If time is most valuable between work, family, and what we love the most in this hobby... Giraud power trimmer, AMP, Autothrow/trickler is a must on a reloading bench.. You can’t buy time. But we can surely beat it in our daily lives..

All of the above is true.

Lock rings and dedicated cutter heads for each caliber are must-haves.

My Ah-ha moment was using a case to adjust the cutter head.

No more trial and error.

Insert a case and use the case mouth to align the cutter head.

You will want to do some fine-tuning, but the case mouth gets you very close.

The Giraud is amazing. Before Giraud, I was using worlds finest trimmers from Little Crow Gunworks then chamfer & debur on the Lyman case prep. The Giraud was a big time saver.

Giraud trimmer is awesome. I forget how awesome it is. Then I use it and tell myself how glad I’m too have it. Lol

Hi there.
can some one help with we’re to buy a giraud trimmer.
Melbourne based.
thanks in advance

Yea, you bet. Giraudtool.com. [email protected] for gen info,sales and customer support. Used this tool for several years with no issues. Got setups for trimming 223, 308, and 338 lapua. Kinda like sharping a pencil. So easy and saves so much time. More time for shooting. Outstanding tool and great folks. Good luck

If you don't need to trim a piece of brass, just chamfer/deburr, is it possible with a giraud?

Or would it have to do all trim as well as chamfer/deburr?

If you set the chamber/pilot to the correct height it will just kiss the edges. Often enough I just push every case through the Giraud every firing and the ones that have already been trimmed usually barely get touched, but clean up the chamfer/deburr that gets peened over when tumbling.

I have a Giraud with 223, 308 & 30-06 setup. I am getting ready order a 300 BO case holder. I may order a blade setup for it.

I have a Giraud with 223, 308 & 30-06 setup. I am getting ready order a 300 BO case holder. I may order a blade setup for it.

If you already have 308 & 30/06, why would you oder a 308 cutter & holder? Is your other blade set up now for 223 (22 Cal) ? If your cutter is set for 30 cal. now, buy another cutter set up in 22 cal. That would make it easy.

I have cutters set up for 22 / 26 / 27 & 30 calibers. Makes it so easy to switch over to another caliber.

I know I can use a 30 cal blade. I may or may not order one . It will be my spare.