• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud vs Gracey

Re: Giraud vs Gracey

The giraud is a bit more "polished" of a design. It has ball bearings instead of bushings. It has a quick-changeable cutter head. It has a carbide cutter. It is intended to be used either horizontally OR vertically. The gracey is intended for horizontal only.

I've used a Gracey for 10 years. I recently purchased a Giraud. The Giraud is a much more refined machine and set up nicer.

The new cost for a Gracey set up for one caliber is $358.00. The Giraud is $425.00. For me, The price difference isn't enough to justify buying a new Gracey. Now, If it was $150.00 or so difference, maybe. The Gracey gets the job done and does it well.

If you could find a used Gracey for a good price, It would be worth getting.

I've been happy with my Gracey. I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating--the best consistency is achieved when using similar lots of brass all sized the same. Both trimmers headspace off the shoulder and I've found slight variations in trim length between different headstamps, even after FL sizing. It's only a few thousands difference but I like consistency.

A couple more differences - The Gracey is a lot quieter running than the Giraud, but the under-powered motor can get too hot to touch and can sometimes shut down because of heat, especially if you throw a shop rag over it (it runs again once it cools down). The Gracey tends to throw oil from its rear bushing, and you have to keep the bushing reservoir full of oil.

But the biggest difference to me is how the blades cut - the whole point of buying a high-dollar trimmer. the Giraud cutter is shaped like a V (tilted to one side). It puts a knife edge on the case mouth whether you want one or not. The Gracey has two cutters that can be adjusted to give the amount of chamfer and deburring that you want. Yeah, the Giraud is nicer overall, but what's the point if it doesn't cut like you want it too.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was planning on taking some close-up pictures to show the differences between the two machines. I still plan on doing that, I just got busier than I planned.

Mostly this will be used for my 223 loads. Recently got a buddy into shooting highpower and he is using all my loading equipment and i need to figure out ways to do things faster now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how hard is it to swap to a different caliber? </div></div>

I can not speak for Gracey since I don't have it but for Giraud, it is super easy to change different caliber if you have extra $$$ :). You can get cutting head for each of your caliber and swap out the head as you move to different caliber. That way, you don't have to adjust anything when you swap back. It will set you back $60 or so (don't remember how much), but it well worthy.

The hardest thing about changing calibers with a gracey is adjusting the blades.... however this can easily be solved by getting a giraud bit, which is common for some folks running gracey.

Getting the new one piece cutter from giraud has been the biggest improvement for my gracey, that and adding an on/off switch.

Changing calibers involves two tools and a shell holder for the caliber... you unscrew the shellholder, use a screwdriver to loosen the screw for that. Then you use an allen wrench to loosen up the blade holder. Throw in the new shell holder, get it finger tight, put a piece of brass in to adjust the blade, lock the blade in, then dial back the shell holder and walk it in to get the right cutting depth, really less than 5 minutes from one complete set up to the next.

I have owned both trimmers. To me the Giraud is the only way to go. I have never felt it was noisy but it is louder then the Gracey. Look at it this way, your going to go through your brass so fast that the noise should not become a problem.
If you set the Giraud shellholder up using a reloading die lock ring the caliber changes can be done in moments. The cutters can be used on several different cartridges if they are the same caliber ie. any 30 caliber cartridge can be trimmed using the same cutter, you only need a different shellholder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how hard is it to swap to a different caliber? </div></div>

Most people I know who have (had) Gracey trimmers and use(d) it for more than one cartridge... have more than one trimmer. Before the Giraud unit came on the market, it was not uncommon for people with Gracey trimmers to have one set up for .223, and another set for .308 Win. To me, that speaks volumes about the PITA factor of the setup process. I ended up with one for a while, and it does work... got too hot, slung oil and shavings around, PITA 2-piece cutter (changed that to a Bob Jones carbide blade), etc. Still fussy to change calibers. Bought a Giraud and sold the Gracey, never looked back.