• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraurd Tri-way Trimmer

kenzup

Facta Non Verba
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Good Afternoon,

I am getting my reloading set-up ordered. I really like the idea of the Giraurd Tri-way Trimmer to trim, chamfer and debur all at the same time. I was wondering if anyone as tried to put this trimmer on a Hornady cam lock trimmer? or what other set up idea out there to save time with these three steps?

Thanks for the help

Here is mine, its connected to a motor with a rpm of 1700 and I control it with a foot pedal which you can buy at harbor freight. I put a pvc coupling over the trimmer with a abs reducer to catch all the brass trimmings.

8FA48F5B-B827-4329-9155-7DDBDE07AEA1.jpeg

I haven’t done what you or rangemaster has done, I just use my cordless drill. It’s one of the best tools on my bench. The first time I used it, it turned a three evening job int a two hour job. As far as I’m concerned, it paid for itself right then. I’m hoping one day to get the desktop Giraud trimmer. Until then, I’ll use my Tri Way trimmer every chance I get.

Thanks for the replies. I have some thinking to do. Either I will get the Hornady precision loaders kit or just get the table top Giraurd.

Harbor Freight. Had to get coupling off ebay. Most painless step in my preparation.001D7EFA-1422-499E-8AC5-B5B62FF3C483.jpegA9E01564-D289-4ED0-B6E1-7BBBFFFF5CE6.jpeg

If the case doesn't need trimmed, say hasn't stretched. Will it still chamfer and debur? and how easy is it to change out calibers?

If the case doesn't need trimmed, say hasn't stretched. Will it still chamfer and debur? and how easy is it to change out calibers?
While my fired brass doesnt always grow enough to reach all the way into the depth of the cuttter blade to cut down the over all length it will still usually hit the inside edge enough to clean up the chamfer. I run every single piece through the giraud every single loading.
1546642168345.png

That picture really helps. I think I am about 90% sold on ordering the giraurd power trimmer.

The Dillon 1500 trimmer trims, chamfers and deburs AND it does it while sizing. Just crank 'em through. The ones that don't need it pass through, the ones that do get it done in a split second. I've already trimmed and loaded tens of thousands of rounds all together.

I simply couldn't go back to doing it any other way. There may be more better setups, but there isn't one this good that's this fast, that's a fact.

I guess if you don't have a progressive press though, that any magic this thing offers is lost when you have to handle each piece of brass one at a time. But I found the progressive to be great for precision loading too, just have to take more care in setup and weigh loads vs. the measure. The 650 press is just a dream and my only regret is I didn't get on sooner, it would have saved me so much more time and given me so much more to shoot. I wouldn't have put reloading off either because it's so easy and fast.

The Dillon 1500 trimmer trims, chamfers and deburs AND it does it while sizing.

I just ordered my 550 and the reason I didn’t get the trimmer is due to the fact that Mike at Dillon Precision said it does not chamfer or debur.

Here is mine, its connected to a motor with a rpm of 1700 and I control it with a foot pedal which you can buy at harbor freight. I put a pvc coupling over the trimmer with a abs reducer to catch all the brass trimmings.

View attachment 6996602
Rangemaster, I really like your setup. Was getting ready to fab something up, and was wondering if after using it, you would change, or do something different, if you had to do it over? Had you ever considered mounting it vertically so the trimmings would fall? Ever had issues with it not clearing the trimmings? Just thought I'd ask. Like I said, really slick set up. Good job!

I have the Giraud Power trimmer and my only regret is not ordering it sooner. I did have to go back and order more cutting heads. I found out I do switch between cartridges enough that it's beneficial to just leave the heads set up.

While my fired brass doesnt always grow enough to reach all the way into the depth of the cuttter blade to cut down the over all length it will still usually hit the inside edge enough to clean up the chamfer. I run every single piece through the giraud every single loading.
View attachment 6997807

Yup. What I do as well.

And a helpful trick for those using the Giraud is to use lock rings if you swap between cartridges. Makes setup so much simpler.

I have the Giraud Power trimmer and my only regret is not ordering it sooner. I did have to go back and order more cutting heads. I found out I do switch between cartridges enough that it's beneficial to just leave the heads set up.

Yup - dedicated heads for each cartridge. And use a lock ring for each head.

And if you want to get really gucci, setting up your heads with these would be way cool:

On case holders that allow for multiple uses (eg 22, 6 and 6.5 creed) I just slide a piece of paper under the lock ring if its trimming too much off. Paper is ~ .004 thick and I dont normally need to use more than a layer when its taking too much off between the different rifles.