• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Girlfriend Advice

Re: Girlfriend Advice

i started my woman on an ar first then she went to a 270 win and now shes shooting a older ruger m77 308 with tang saftey and a 18 inch barrel and loves it i picked this rifle up from gun broker for 290.00 bucks and it still looks brand new, i went the cheapest way with her that way if she didnt like anything i could use it and now shes wanting to upgrade to a remington sps tactical in a 308 since theres so many upgraded stuff for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Soooooo......was the "self defense" part of the equation removed?

okie </div></div>

earlier in the thread I thought the consensus was a dual purpose weapon didn't exist, not in the price range they wanted anyways and so most people suggested a shotgun for the home defense part and some type of cheap sporter rifle for hunting. Although...the muzzle blast on those '06 carbines is pretty wicked. My windshield thinks so anyways...
blush.gif

Sorry hopps, that wasn't aimed directly at you, you were just the last post. Seems like all this just started focusing on the "hunting" side of things. I just never really concidered a high power bolt gun for self defense. In tight quarters it might get taken away and used on you. Anyway, to each his own.

okie

My first question would be, How tall is your girl friend?

This is important. I had a ex girl friend that I bought a gun for. She was 5'2". I had to end up going with Rem 870 20ga youth model. Worked great for everything she needed. Mostly home defense, the occasional hunt (small game and Deer). It even came with a trendy pink wood stock. Nice gun. Said, "Shoot like a girl, If you can" on the stock. I even ended up buying a mag extension and badger rail for it and pimping it out a bit.

Now the next gun I'm gonna throw out there is a bit of a wild cat, the 450 bushmaster. Bought one of these for my dad to use when he guides, and it is a great gun. With a standard 30rd AR mag you can fit 10rnds of 450 bushmaster in it. Good for home defense, depending on the round you use. With the standard 5rd mags it is awesome for hunting. Dead on at 200yrds, with plenty of knock down power to go further. Should prove useful for Mulies and Elk in your neck of the woods.

Of course the Marlin lever action 30-30 is real hard to beat. Lots of history with that gun and round combo.

After its all said in done, Remington youth model bdl in 7mm08 or 243. Add shotgun or pistol later. For home defense its hard to beat the charter arms with crimson laser grip in 38, the laser alone is an intimidation factor, the pistol is well made, reliable and best of all cheap. Though a twenty guage for self defense offers many other options such as bird hunting etc. They are hard to get around a corner with for some gals.

With a price limit of $500, why don't you consider an M1 Carbine from the CMP. Inland Rack Grades are going for $419 + $22.95 S&H, that leaves money left over for mags and ammo. At a little less than 6 lbs it would be easy for her to handle, and very good for home defense. M1 Carbines have been used to hunt deer, as long as the range is not great. But, if nothing else, it is a good simple rifle, non scary looking, to start her off with. She can later progres up to something bigger once she gains experience.

OK, if we're expanding our horizon to include the Rem 760/7600, I nominate the Rem 750 Autoloader. Once the bearer of several bugs, the recent model has managed to resolve them all, according to <span style="font-style: italic">Gun tests Magazine</span>, and they called it a best buy among their comparison tests of several similar firearms (R750 .30-'06 vs Browning BAR, and Benelli R-1). It does this with a D/M, and although I have not been able to actually locate a source, is reputed to have ten round D/M's available.

Greg

Why dont you look at a MOSSBERG 100ATR or MARLIN XS7Y in the mid to upper $300.00 range or a Howa Hogue M1500 mid to upper $400.00 and you will still have money left for ammo.

plus what makes the choice harder is the home defence and hunting requirement. what makes a good home gun isnt a good hunting gun. get a shorty pump 20 ga for home defense and a mini-30 for shooting? hunting with an FAL or CETME... not so much i would think. not sure about the FAL but the CETME is heavy as hell. im getting rid of mine to fund the 308 DPMS build. the new savage 20 ga bolt gun got a good review a while back also, just for the info.

You know what you need to do here.

Explain to her she can't have only one rifle. She'll need at least two of them to do what she wants.

Then start in on how 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Once this makes sense to her, buy a ring, marry her and take it from there. Once this makes sense so her, you'll have better luck buying other rifles you want in the future
smile.gif

In all seriousness, I like the shotgun idea and bolt action rifle. Not sure how I feel about .30-06 though.

I am trying to row in a good deal for a Remington 700 in .270, and a Taurus .357 revolver. If I can I think it will be a great set up for her, .38 for the range and .357 for some defense. and I think the .270 is more than enough for hunting yet will not kick the crap out of her.
What do you think?

.243/6mm rem for hunting. Bolt action, easy, cheap readily avialble ammo. Simple to use.

Home defense is another issue. Shotguns are nice but recoil may turn her off. Explain to her the problems expressed here about the problems with a 'one gun solution'. But whatever you do, take advantage of her desire to shoot to get her into something she likes and is practical.

Good luck to both of you. I wish I had problems like this to deal with.

I reiterate my own preference for a 20ga (commercial buck loads use #4 Buck, 20 or more pellets), and aftermarket choke tubes, including a rifled one, allow very effective use of essentially any variety of 20Ga S/G loads. Ihere isn't a deer I'd shoot with a 12ga slug gun that I wouldn't personally feel at least as comfortable shooting with a 20ga slug gun.

I also strongly support the .30-'06 option, mainly because of the immense variety of loads available, including managed recoil loads. Believe me the 125gr Rem Core-Lokt Managed Recoil loads are pretty much every bit as tame as a .243 or 7mm-08, and at least as effective, but the '06 allows far more effective loads as well.

Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of various firearm solutions to practical applications is a necessary lesson for each young couple with plans that include shooting and maybe marriage too. Getting this lesson off on the right foot will pay off in long term dividends as time progresses. I'm about to turn my 40th married year, and I made a serious point of getting this one right all the way from the get-go. Now I'm workin' on the Grandkiddos...

Greg

Just my .02 but a Savage/Stevens 12GA-.243 over and under might serve the purpose. They're not pretty but are fairly cheap and offer the best of both worlds.
Use the 12GA with 00 buck for HD and 243 for anything else.
They were also made in 12/30-30, 12/223, 20/223 and probably a few more different combos. Some are harder to find than others.

Again just my .02 worth.
Brian

6.5 GRENDEL STILL GET LONG RANGE 800+ LIGHT,LOW RECOIL,LOW COST AMMO & IT DOESNT SUCK LIKE 6.8, . ME WIFE LOVES HERS.

For what you are asking the best bet is the Rem 740/742/7400. They can all pretty much be found in a round powerful enough to take deer and elk and under $500 used.

I'm not any big fan of this make either but it fits the bill. I personally prefer a bolt action.

-my $.02

If you can build a AR model-1 sales has kits cheap, or if you have a ar & not alot of funds just switch uppers.(lust saying)
6.8 is ok but for the cost of ammo theres better rounds to be had,its still ONLY a 300-500m weapon (thats on the high side), hard to get ammo for. 6.5 grendel is around $18 a box.

sandwarrior &The Long Ranger have made a good point too.
Less funds more bang for your buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Long Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my .02 but a Savage/Stevens 12GA-.243 over and under might serve the purpose. They're not pretty but are fairly cheap and offer the best of both worlds.
Use the 12GA with 00 buck for HD and 243 for anything else.
They were also made in 12/30-30, 12/223, 20/223 and probably a few more different combos. Some are harder to find than others.

Again just my .02 worth.
Brian </div></div>

Exactly how much does one of these run?

I would go with a Winchester Model 100 in .308. Can still get them for around $500 or a little more.

Or a better option may be a 308 Marlin Express. Lever actions are still fast on the reload and the new Marlin Express ammo with the Hornadys flex tip ammo make 3-400 yards a possibility. As far as lever action for home defense, the sound of a lever action working has the same effect as the sound of a pump action cycling on a burgalar. They may just decide that they don't want to get shot and leave. And yes, you can hand load some of Barnes MPG bullets and eliminate the chance of shooting the neighbor through the wall.

Ohh, wait, am I going to get kicked off the hide for my recomendations not being tacti-cool enough?

Most Savage/Stevens are going from $350.00 and up. Most of the ones I see are older and the condition varies.

Remington came out with the "Spartan" line a few years back
and come in:
12GA-223
12GA-308
12GA-30-06

They are a little stiff at first but loosen up after use these go for around $500 and up just depends where you shop.

Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guntard007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a Winchester Model 100 in .308. Can still get them for around $500 or a little more.

Or a better option may be a 308 Marlin Express. Lever actions are still fast on the reload and the new Marlin Express ammo with the Hornadys flex tip ammo make 3-400 yards a possibility. As far as lever action for home defense, the sound of a lever action working has the same effect as the sound of a pump action cycling on a burgalar. They may just decide that they don't want to get shot and leave. And yes, you can hand load some of Barnes MPG bullets and eliminate the chance of shooting the neighbor through the wall.

Ohh, wait, am I going to get kicked off the hide for my recomendations not being tacti-cool enough?</div></div>

When you can find those under $500 that is a premium choice.

The reason I'm not such a fan of the Remington semi-auto rifles is I haven't seen <span style="text-decoration: underline">ANY</span> that will shoot to the level I like. But, that is pretty tight. Most of these I deal with shoot somewhere in the 200-250 yd range for solid kill zone hits. When we've had shooters take these to the 300 yd. range they begin to miss more than they hit. Some of that is the shooters. But've personally shot groups through their rifles and not had great luck @ 300.

The Winchester Model 100 on the other hand is, in my mind anyway, a tighter built rifle. The ones I've tried @ 300 clearly shoot better then their Remington counter parts. Not as good as a 700 though. But the strong majority of hits in the kill zone out of one mag full of bullets. Those were in .243 Win, .308 Win, and .284 Win.

+1 on the 260, looking at a remington 700 260 for my wife. She thinks the 308 was a bit much in recoil but a 260 would be a great starter round IMHO.

Is anyone aware of someone actually using an AR for self-defense in the home? I know everyone thinks its just the best thing....but the few stories I've heard, people went deaf after shooting one indoors...not to mention over-penetration concerns. So, I'd like to hear from some folks with actual experience on this subject.

I asked my brother who is a SEAL what he thought was the best home defense weapon and he said a 38 special revolver is the most practical home defense weapon. It will always function no matter how long it has been sitting there neglected (unlike a loaded magazine), provides more than adequate firepower with moderate flash and noise. And it is so simple anyone can use it under duress with little experience.

Regarding the shotguns with slugs, I thought they kick like a mule. If so, that would seem to be a pretty poor choice for a girlfriend to hunt with unless you are trying to make her an ex-girlfriend.
smile.gif
Get a 243 for hunting and there will be no regrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone aware of someone actually using an AR for self-defense in the home? I know everyone thinks its just the best thing....but the few stories I've heard, people went deaf after shooting one indoors...not to mention over-penetration concerns. So, I'd like to hear from some folks with actual experience on this subject.

I asked my brother who is a SEAL what he thought was the best home defense weapon and he said a 38 special revolver is the most practical home defense weapon. It will always function no matter how long it has been sitting there neglected (unlike a loaded magazine), provides more than adequate firepower with moderate flash and noise. And it is so simple anyone can use it under duress with little experience.

Regarding the shotguns with slugs, I thought they kick like a mule. If so, that would seem to be a pretty poor choice for a girlfriend to hunt with unless you are trying to make her an ex-girlfriend.
smile.gif
Get a 243 for hunting and there will be no regrets. </div></div>

With as many of our troops using them indoors in Iraq and Afganistan, I think we would have heard a lot more in the news about soldiers becoming deaf while using them indoors.

I once fired a Weatherby 7mm mag from inside a house and was deafened for about 30 minutes. Hell, the concussion knocked 2 picures off the wall! The back bedroom makes a nice deer hunting blind when you foot is in a cast. Next time, I'll remember some hearing protection.

You got to squeeze her, tease her, never leave her, you got to, you got to try a little tenderness, yeah, yeah.

Slug shotguns do kick like a mule, if you use a 12ga. A 20ga is quite adequate and a lot more manageable.

Due to several surgical interventions, my sternum had to be reconstructed using bone grafts. So, unlike most other people's, mine has very little flexibility, and is extraordinarily vulnerable to blunt force trauma.

This includes recoil.

While I still maintain a few 12ga shotguns, they are mainly kept around as family loaners for deer season. The guns I use myself are all 20ga. My Win '94AE Trapper Carbine is chambered in .44 magnum, a round which is ballistically very similar to a 20ga slug.

I have .30-'06 firearms, an M70 and a Garand, but seldom load them with bullets heavier than 150gr.

This is one of the reasons why I have invested so heavily in time and treasure in the .260 Rem.

So, when I make suggestions about taming down a firearm's recoil; I'm working from my own personal pool of experience.

Greg