• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing girlfriends first goose hunt

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
WayneJoe020.jpg

Not bad for her first goose hunt. She didn't want to shoot but she loved being out there!

Re: girlfriends first goose hunt

Looks like a good time...she's still smiling so something must have gone right.

Sweet! Had to be a fun time. I could never pull one away from their nails, pedicures and drama long enough to stuff a shotgun in their hands and have some fun trigger time. Good on you!

Born and raised just outside of Chicago, she was a prissy girl till about 7 months ago when she met a redneck from Mississippi (me). Now she really enjoys hunting. She goes on almost all of my deer/antelope hunts and now my goose hunts. Talk about one cool chick. (oh, and she has shot my 300wm consistently out to 600yards dinging steel)

Wow i'd hate for a goose to fall on me. They are huge..I've never eaten goose. I guess they taste like duck?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow i'd hate for a goose to fall on me. They are huge..I've never eaten goose. I guess they taste like duck? </div></div>

More like roast beef.

Great pictures.

Jerry

I have had goose meat where it is awesome and where it is absolutly horrible. We recently got into doing goose jerkey and believe it or not, it is actually really good!!!!

Pretty and hunts with you...doesn't get any better. We have a ton of resident geese now so they are always available to hunt and limits get bigger every few years.

I take the breast and cut in palm sized fillets for country style steak or the crock pot or grind it up for jerky. Either way is good. Just never over cook it or it is tough as shoe leather.

hey buddy thats cool is the otherhalf gonna use the 6.5 on a bird hunt?just pickin by the way i saw the 6.5 in all its pieces the other evening at chucks its gonna be a very nice rifle.

Hey Monty, I think the 6.5 should turn out to be a great rifle for her. When were you out there? We usually go 1-2 times a week just to hang out.

Thanks fot all the good comments guys.

i was out the other day for chuck to work on a 243ai i traded for.because of work i usually dont get out to his place as much as i like.gonna try for friday after 4 i need him to readjust the headspace on the 243 as shes a bit tight.perhaps i will get to meet you out there.

Got the only recipes that works for goose:

1 fully cleaned and skinned goose of any size
1/2 pound of what ever your favorite nuts are
1/2 pound of quality fresh berries of choice
3 tbs of salt and pepper
1/2 a cup of soy sauce and italian dressing mixed together

Heat oven to 400 deg.

Take an old steel belted radial tire and cut it half - "needs to be of size that will fit in the oven of course"

Take the goose and put it in the tire and mix all the ingredients above over the top of the bird and cook for 4 hours.

Check the inside temp of the bird @ 4 hours and once it gets to 300 + degrees remove the bird and fixings throw it all away and EAT THE TIRE.

Cheers!

Rooter

Thats not a bad idea actually....

Honestly, I have had it when it was awesome, then again, I've had it where the dog wouldn't eat it.

The best way I have had it was jerky. Seriously, marinade it in dales, season it with some tony's and smoke it! Amazing!!!

When I said taste like roast beef, I meant when you bake the whole bird in a oven bag with the bird stuffed with apples. 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes - serve rare.

IF your having trouble with your goose cooking try this:

Boil as may goose breasts as needed in beer. Use enough beer to cover the meet. Keep on low boil for 2 hours;
Drain the meat and discard (yea I know..) the beer;
chill the meat in refrigerator for 2-3 hours;
Later shred with a fork, insuring that all shot is removed;
heat in frying pan with your favorite BBQ sauce, serve with wild rice.

Gotta go and cook dinner...........

Jerry

Overchicked huh... Yep. I was always told if you are in a relationship, "be the ugly one!"

Used to hunt with a guy who's skill in the kitchen amounted to making PBJ sandwich. I got invited to that camp because I could cook. Same with the second hunting camp I am with.

Plus I rarely wash dishes. YMMV

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overchicked huh... Yep. I was always told if you are in a relationship, "be the ugly one!" </div></div>

Yep, that's my mantra!! she's a keeper dude. Great hunt!

Damn, those birds are big.

Obviously you guys had a good time. Don't let that GF get away!

Keith

Nice job Jerry. It kinda looks like you are hunting in your back yard.... I'm sure the wife love the sound of a 12ga going off at daylight!!!

TCAL- i did a good bit of duck kill'n in East TN. Up towards Kingsport. You don't get a lot of migrators but a duck is a duck!

Always a good thing when the little lady supports your hobbies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sormi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow i'd hate for a goose to fall on me. They are huge..I've never eaten goose. I guess they taste like duck?</div></div>

They are real tasty. I can cook up a goos breast on the BBQ and it is better than a good beaf steak. When I bring home some fresh killed goose, my wife says to keep out a couple and she will cook up some baked potato and aspearagas.

Talk about good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buckhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smoked goose breast is what I've found to be the best way.</div></div>

Try marinating them in:

2 goose breast
Good splash of olive oil
worcestershire
4 tablespoon of A-1
Grill creations steak seasoning
garlic salt or powder
lemon pepper
meat tenderizer season

Put in tupperware ans shake the hell out of it, put it in the fridge.
Shake every 30 min for 3-4 hours.
Cook on hot grill, med. rair.

Great goose breast

Nice. My fiance refuses to go duck hunting. She either thinks it's too cold or she worries about the pirogue sized gators when it's warmer.....

Thanks for the recipe furtaker. I have a good friend of mine in Conway, but i have never hunted there.

KM..... go north bro. I haven't seen the first gator in WY...

Terrific shooting, which one is your girlfriend though ?

Only kidding, you are way bigger than me and she is way out of my league so i take it back
smirk.gif

Funny you should mention that, she is WAY out of my league too. Ive got her fooled though!