• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Given a Brit. 303 Enfield rifle.

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I was given this rifle.
I do not have a camera and do not know how to do pictures, so please don't ask.
It is an Enfield 1915 or16, kind of rubbed thin with a crown and GR under it. No. V over 7302 ShtLE III
All numbers match and all metal is in good shape. The bore is not new but in good shape and nice rifling, left twist.
No stacking swivel and there is a place for some kind of swivel at the front of the trigger guard with nothing in it.
The wood around the bbl. looks to have been in constant use since it was built. The buttstock has been replaced at some time or another but has plenty of wear.
There are stamps all over.
Can anyone recommend a book that has good pictures of these stamps and what they mean?
I appreciate all input and I am working on getting a good camera. The last one was destroyed.
I have looked on the net but need better pictures for old eyes. It does shoot well.
Regards, FM

gunboards.com has quite an Enfield group. I'm pretty sure they could help you out...

There is a guy on reddit.com/r/guns who is very knowledgeable about Enfields. He did a post recently on them. I'd go search that subreddit.

Thank You all for your input.
I ordered a Skennerton book. Seems like he is the one in the know.
I was hoping there would be someone such as Greg L. on Mosin 91/30 lurking hereabouts.
I shot the rifle today and was surprised to find a 1.5 POI @ 100 yds. No fliers. 5 rds.
A new adventure for me.
Now looking for brass, dies and bullets. I have 26 rds. of Rem brass so have a starting point.
Again, Thank you to all.
Regards, FM

Just a heads up, you'll want to make sure you neck size the brass. Enfields have very generous chamber dimensions and can suffer case head separations after only a couple loadings if you full length size.

Also, buying loaded Prvi Partisan ammo is a good way to get brass. They make some good quality loads in .303.