• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Glass bedding Savage

The accustocks ears pretty much keep you from being able to bed it properly. Is there a reason you want to bed it? Most savages that come w/ the accustock are shooting sub MOA to begin w/ and you really wouldn't gain much by glass bedding.

You'd bed it just like you would any other aluminum pillar'd stock. Just rough up the aluminum a bit and get to it.
Here's a few shots of a 110BA I did:

and here's an FCP-k stock I did:

And resulting accuracy:

The two 110BA that Ive bedded I milled out the ears first, then bedded. Was skeptical about getting adequate compound outside of the ears to make it strong enough to not break the bedding over time. I also milled out the recoil lug abutment and just left about 1/16" of it in the middle just to locate the action front and back so that I could have full bedding contact with the lug.

One of these was on a 338 that I chambered a bartlein and shouldered it like a remington, guy said the gun shoots lights out. Obviously it probably could have shot just as good with just the accustock and a good quality barrel, but I think bedding will give you more repeatable results regardless of action screw torque.

The two 110BA that Ive bedded I milled out the ears first, then bedded. Was skeptical about getting adequate compound outside of the ears to make it strong enough to not break the bedding over time. I also milled out the recoil lug abutment and just left about 1/16" of it in the middle just to locate the action front and back so that I could have full bedding contact with the lug.

One of these was on a 338 that I chambered a bartlein and shouldered it like a remington, guy said the gun shoots lights out. Obviously it probably could have shot just as good with just the accustock and a good quality barrel, but I think bedding will give you more repeatable results regardless of action screw torque.

Good on you. If I had my dad's mill at my house I would have done exactly what you did.
I have since sold the 110ba, but just ordered a bartlein for another build on a stiller action and XLR chassis. Doing it right this time!

Sorry, new guy here... "Ears"?

Yeah. On the BA series with the chassis stocks, you have the stock part, then you have the chassis within that secures the action. It is two length wise columns of aluminum rails that the receiver sits into. It is these columns that he is referring to as "ears".