• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glass for a .308 n00b!

dwkuska

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Graham, WA
Hey folks,

So I have a remington 700 with a 22" barrel 1:8 twist. I am looking for advice for what you would recommend to someone just coming into the game. My budget is going to be $1k or less. No hunting just putting nice groups down range. I know for such a lower budget getting a scope good for reaching a grand probably isnt likely. I dont have a preference on the reticle as I have shot through alot of scopes and so far none have stood out as better.

Oh btw suggestions on new furniture are also appreciated...

P.S. I love the subjective optimism of this site. I have only been shooting as a whole the last few years and feel good when I hit a man size target at 300yds. Yet reading through many folks talking about 500-750 like its a poultry distance to accomplish. I guess if your use to hitting beyond 1k anything less seems too easy. I can only hope that one day 500 will seem like beginners range to me.

Last edited:
22", 1:8 twist Remington 700 in 308 Winchester???

As for optic...you can easily spend under a grand and get a scope that does just fine at 1000 yards. I have a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 and have shot it out to 1100; it wasn't quite as crisp and vibrant an image as a Bushnell HDMR I shot that day, but I didn't have any issues seeing the 66% IPSC target at that range either.

That said, for a rifle that won't hunt: Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 G2DMR from Liberty Optics.

I run a Vortex 4-16x50 FFP, PST and did shoot it out to 625 yards today on an 8" dia. scuba tank on 10-12x. I pushed it out to 1000 last week on a 36" round to acquire new dope and finished on a 20" round and a silhouette using 12x of the scope. Very happy with the glass with the sun at an 11:00 position to the direction of fire. Not bad for an $800 scope new if you look for a deal.

BTW: I'm a noob as well :p

Last edited:
Sightron SIII 6-24x50 in either SFP or FFP will be among the most crisp glass around the $1k price point, IMO. A used SS 5-20x50 would be excellent as well and I think there is one for sale now in the sale section. The Bushnell Elites are highly recommended. Some good deals on Vortex PSTs 6-24x50 FFP demos for around $800 I've seen from some Hide vendors.

Lots of good scopes in the $1k and under range these days.

Last edited:
You could also consider the Nikon M-308 if you need to stay under $500. I'd recommend getting a LaRue mount tho, the mount that comes with it is rather flimsy!

We don't know what you have on your bangstick now. Getting excited about hitting a mansize target at 300 may suggest a red-dot sight.:p
I should think that anywhere from 3-12 up to about 5-25 should do you for magnification.

All of the above suggestions seem pretty good. The usual advise in threads of this nature is to first decide on your poison regarding reticules and turret adjustments. Think about whether you want to go for MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil. If you don't know much about it, do some homework on that first, before you look at anything else regarding features. Either will work. Just don't mix them up. Avoid MOA/MIL like the plague.

A fellow shooter at the local club has a Sightron SIII that is MOA/MOA based, with a nice looking reticule. I looked into the Mil based Sightron. This comes with a 'basic' mildot reticule with dots that seem a bit large to me. The Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP and the Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 G2 FFP are fairly similar, except for the (IMO) far superior G2 reticle, compared with the Sightron's mildots. I purchased the Bushnell on that basis and I love it.

I also have the SWFA SS 5-20x50 and love that too, except for the ridiculously stiff parallax and magnification adjustments. And I prefer the G2 reticle over the SS's milquad. I do think the SS has clearer glass (not complaining about the Bushnell's glass though), it is probably more rugged (I don't intend to find out), and has a much greater elevantion range (34.3 Mil versus 18.9 Mil). The SS will get you well beyond a 1000. However, if you don't intend to shoot much beyond 700 or so, the Bushnell should get you there. And with a 20 MOA base (don't go more than that), the Bushnell should still get you up to about a 1000. And these reticles would give you another 10 Mils worth of holdover to give you a few hundred more in range, if you were to get that enthusiastic.

By the way, that Bushnell also comes in a 3-12 x 44 version for about $100 less than the 6-24.

When I did this exercise, I ended up with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP Mil/Mil. I bought through Sport Optics, who gives a VERY nice Snipers Hide discount.

To the OP - 1st of all to your issue about hitting small targets @ 300, 500, 700, 1000 etc...... I was where you are not terribly long ago. I had never really shot past 100 much. I thought 200 was LONG RANGE. But the limitation, I found out, was all mental. You don't need high end, $6000 AI rifles with $4000 Schmidt & Bender glass to shoot at 1k. You just need "decent" stuff and a willingness to learn and push yourself over that mental cliff. If you can shoot roughly MOA at 100 yds, you should be able to do that all the out to 1000. Nothing changes as the ranges get longer. The EXACT same technique is used at 100 as you would use at 1000. There is nothing magical about the distance. The gun doesn't know you are shooting at a particular distance. The gun will just do what you tell it to do. Garbage in, garbage out.

But this is where the "decent" equipment comes in. Yes, certainly there are going to be gear limits if you go too cheap or get something that is not designed for accuracy. For instance, a pencil barreled hunting rifle with a non-free floated stock, crappy weaver rings, an BSA scope, etc is not going to be very accurate. Especially as the barrel heats up from multiple rounds. But a decent rifle, with decent glass, decent base and rings, decent stock, better than decent ammo (match quality ammo) will get you consistently hitting the same man sized chest torso target @ 1000 that you were happy to just hit at 300.

As for glass - most everyone has chimed in on that. There are a lot of good scopes for under $1000. I second the Viper PST 6-24 FFP with the EBR-1 MRAD reticle. I don't have any personal experience with the others mentioned. But in general, I would make sure to get something with a "mil dot/hash" reticle of some sort. Fine crosshair reticles are ok for hunters and benchrest shooters. But a "tactical" reticle will make your life very easy for long range target shooting. There is just no reason not to get one. In fact I would say they are better for hunting than a duplex reticle. As some said - decide on your reticle choice (MOA or MIL) but whatever you do..... DO NOT get the mixed turrets and reticle. Make sure the scope is either all MOA or all MIL. Unless you are a masochist and just like when your brain hurts. I would personally suggest MIL, mainly because it is the US military standard and the world standard and MOA is slowly dying out. Mil scopes will be much more available and common. Don't get bogged down that MOA is close to inches and Mil is sometimes thought of as "metric system" (its not). Go read through the thread in the stupid marksmanship questions thread on the differences between MOA and mil. They both work exactly the same as long as you stop your brain from trying to then turn that measurement into a linear one like 3". Go read the thread, you'll understand what I mean.

As for stocks, there's too many good ones out there to list. Its kinda like scopes - it depends on your budget. If you want to not break the bank - probably THE best thing now is to look through the classifieds here and on similar forums for a Rem 700 "take-off" stock off something like a 5R, 700P or PSS. All it means it that someone is upgrading their stock and they have "taken off" their factory HS Precision stock. The HS Precisions are great stocks and they can be had very cheap. If you have the rubber Hogue stock, throw it away - its junk.

Finally, what Rem 700 do you have? I have never heard of a .308 with a 1:8 twist barrel. That almost sounds like a .223, but you said it was a .308 in the title.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot.... don't forget to budget in a good set of rings and a good base. No sense in spending $1000 on a scope just to put it in crappy rings. It is the link between your gun and the scope. Some of the lower end rings like Burris, SWFA, EGW will work ok. better though to spend a little bit more and get Seekins and you will be set for life.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump in here a little too, with a few comments, and a question. I've always shot the SWFA fixed 10x SS MRAD scopes, and they've been a fantastic deal for $300. Within the group of guys I shoot with, there are at least five of these, and we've all shot at Butner out to 1000yds. I had no problem hitting 1100yd targets at the Mammoth Sniper Challenge a few weeks ago with it, so I can not complain about the quality of that glass, especially for the money. However, I've previously switched that optic from rifle to rifle, and now I want to get both my rifles "up" at the same time, so it's time to buy another scope. Sure, I could buy another fixed 10x, but after looking through some other glass, I do see some advantages to a higher & variable power package. I had been eyeing the SWFA 3x-15x SS Scope, which keeps the same reticle (which I am used to), while giving a little more max magnification and some variable magnification, without breaking the bank. Is there anything else around $600 or so I should be considering? I'm leaning toward staying with SWFA because I've been SOOO happy with that 10x, but I just wish the 3x-15x was more like a 4x-20x.

Scott

have used a swfa fixed 16x to get to 1000 on smaller targets easily...currently i use the swfa 3-15x and 5-20x HD...have buddies with the vortex vipers and bushnell hdmr's and really all are great and will do the job

Im gonna throw the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP into the mix. I say its on par with the vortex pst. I own one and find it very high value for the clarity, features and solid build. It has a few inovation such utilizing locking turrets and turrent caps without set screws which allows zero without tools.

The Burris XTRII is a lot of optic for the money. I have shot the Vortex PSTs, and they are good, but the new XTRII has better glass.

There are choices in the line: XTR Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics and I would think the 3-15 or 4-20 will keep you happy for many years. It has the right features so that you can learn the methods that will transfer direct to a more expensive scope down the road if you so choose. In your budget, I don't think you can do much better.

Im gonna throw the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 FFP into the mix. I say its on par with the vortex pst. I own one and find it very high value for the clarity, features and solid build. It has a few inovation such utilizing locking turrets and turrent caps without set screws which allows zero without tools.

That would be my suggestion as well. I have one and it is an excellent scope.

The Burris XTRII is a lot of optic for the money. I have shot the Vortex PSTs, and they are good, but the new XTRII has better glass.

There are choices in the line: XTR Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics and I would think the 3-15 or 4-20 will keep you happy for many years. It has the right features so that you can learn the methods that will transfer direct to a more expensive scope down the road if you so choose. In your budget, I don't think you can do much better.

I had seen that bit it looks like it mixes mil/MOA which the general consensus is to stay away unless I plan to do the math on the fly. I suppose by myself with no time constraints that wouldnt be a problem but if I have a spotter... might be an issue. Correct me if I am wrong.

I had seen that bit it looks like it mixes mil/MOA which the general consensus is to stay away unless I plan to do the math on the fly. I suppose by myself with no time constraints that wouldnt be a problem but if I have a spotter... might be an issue. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong they are mill/mill or
moa/moa reticle / turret

I'm now looking at this for my rifle build, has everything I want and is 500 cheaper.

2etu8u6u.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Get a fixed 10x SWFA or Bushnell Elite and the rest on ammo. Its more important to me to have a good supply of good ammo than it is a great scope and just a little bit. I've gotten several guys started with the fixed 10s and they can shoot out to a grand with em. No their not my favorite scopes but you can do a lot with them.

Good luck

Elevation and windage are both M.O.A but click value is in Mil unless you get the 50mm. Wouldnt this be considered mixing?

The ele adj is the total amount, not the turrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The F class 8-40 is MOA. The total adjustment is presented in MOA, but the actual adjustments are in 1/10 Mil. Everyone seems to talk about 20, 30 and 45 MOA rails, so they presented that data in that format. But not a mixed system on any of them.

Get a fixed 10x SWFA or Bushnell Elite and the rest on ammo. Its more important to me to have a good supply of good ammo than it is a great scope and just a little bit. I've gotten several guys started with the fixed 10s and they can shoot out to a grand with em. No their not my favorite scopes but you can do a lot with them.

Good luck

I really like the 10x SWFA mil/mil and was thinking along your lines and suggest using part of the remaining money for a precision shooting class as well.