• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glass for a tactical rifle?

JR_V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2008
Londonderry, NH
I know this has been discussed, but I would like a touch of clarity on the subject and some direction.

Rifle

Rem 700 blueprinted
Mike Rock .308 20" barrel
McM A5
Badger M5 DBM

I am looking at spending some money on nice glass but don't want to be in the 3k range if I can help it. I need glass that will hold up to precision rifle classes and keep on ticking. I also want a FFP scope so I don't have to dial and can go with hold-overs/unders at any mag range. I also have a little one on its way and $$ will be limited when the baby arrives in August.

I was looking at the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2 mRad and with this I could take a class or two and still afford ammo for the year. Would I be ok with this level of scope? I just want to do it right the first time and don't want to be left asking for more.

I have looked at all the top brands and the Razor seems to fill what I need best money wise. I just need to know if this direction is a smart one or pony up for some "bad ass glass".
smile.gif
Anything I am missing or overlooking? Is there a list of what scopes works and what fails on the lines at schools and comps?

Re: Glass for a tactical rifle?

Sounds like you've done your research. Go with the Razor and don't look back. Get the new version with the better eye box.

You could also look at the Nightforce 3-15 F1 with the new reticle, but I like the extra magnification the Vortex offers.

I have seen the new f1 with mlr2 reticle. Just about everything from hold under-hold over lead and wind holds should be easier. I can't speak for the vortex, but I wouldn't rule out the NF.

Rthur

being and doing the
'tactical" thing makes you a better hunter......so trust me...you will find yourself with the itch to wack a bambi or oinker or some other pest along the line......a lit reticule is some technology that is most useful.

I know a lot of people shit on the IOR here, but in the < $2K price range, the new IORs look really nice. The glass is incredible and I really like the MP-8 reticle. I don't own one, but every one I've looked through at the range looked very nice. Just something else to consider.

Go with the Razor HD. Consider the EBR2B reticle also, if you like your christmas trees more optically delightful.

I have yet to decide on exactly what reticle I want if I go the Razor direction. On one hand I like the dots on the 2B as they stand out more on the tree, but I hate the numbers running down the xhair for the holdovers. I like the original in that manner. Maybe if the 2b labeled on every even number it would be less distracting but I dunno. That is my only hiccup on ordering the Razor.

Good call on the Premier Hunter. I might not be interested in that model, but the light tactical could be something more appealing to me and will have a look at them.

Nightforce was looked at in length, and if the F1 was offered with more mag, I would be very interested in it @ the 3-15 price point.

All good points, and yes Bolt, illumination is on the priority list.