• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

glass for TR

vaughngoalie35

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Ok well I believe I am getting a savage mk2 tr in .22, and now all I need is a scope. I have a few options in mind.
1: I can either get a somewhat cheap scope from a store such as Dicks or a gun store (not sure about selection yet, will check out before purchase though)
2: order one from midway usa (probably). I am looking at two in particular:
the mueller apt 4.5x14
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119010/...t-reticle-matte

or the bsa 6x24
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962234/...t-reticle-matte

(now I understand the bsa isnt very highly regarded, but it has very good reviews on it, and has a limited lifetime warranty, so it can be replaced)

the features I welcome to me are:
mil dot, target and finger adjustable turrets, more than a 9x zoom, and atleast a limited lifetime warranty, and obviously decent glass, and within 150ish dollars.
Thanks everyone!

Re: glass for TR

For that price range the Mueller is tough to beat.

How reliable is their customer service? What does the limited lifetime warranty like? Does that just mean it will be replaced only to the original owner?
Thanks for the input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How reliable is their customer service? What does the limited lifetime warranty like? Does that just mean it will be replaced only to the original owner?
Thanks for the input </div></div>

I have 3 Muellers and very satisfied.
You need the ORIGINAL receipt, so keep it with the box and you'll be fine.

Sportsman"s guide also has great prices on Mueller scopes.

Centerpoint Adventure Class 4-16x40. It's got all that and good glass for $70. I use it as far out to 300.

hey smallboresniper where did you get that bolt knob at

I've been using and loving the BSA Tactical 4-16 from Midway. Least expensive FFP scope I've found. Glass is good until you go past 10 power. Past that, it's eye relief and viewing window is very small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Porter24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> hey smallboresniper where did you get that bolt knob at </div></div>
It's called a DD Ross bolt knob. Check it out here...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23973/Product/TACTICAL-BOLT-KNOB

Installed it myself
smile.gif

I always tell people that ask me that they should get the best scope that they can afford; and I find that this holds especially true for rimfire. With rimfire, you're going to be dialing a LOT.

The quality of the internals is more important than the quality of the glass. I'd be more than happy (if I had to) to settle for plain good glass, as long as the turrets put me where they are supposed to.

Mueller has some pretty nice scopes. I've shot a few of them. BSA, on the other hand, and I don't mean to knock anyone, is junk. The glass and turrets suck.

I run a Vortex PST on my rig and it isn't so much for the glass. I just didn't want to drop a whole bunch of money, but I wanted good glass and dependable internals.

When I'm shooting rimfire out beyond 100 yards, I like to dial for elevation and hold for windage. I'm just not talented enough to hold for both and stay consistent.

.22 drops like a brick. Assuming a 50 yard zero, you have to dial in about 8 minutes to get to 100 yards; about 30 minutes to get to 200 and about 50 (actually, I think it's more) minutes to get to 300. My PST and a 20 MOA rail just gets me there.

The downside to the Muellers is that they only have something like 40 minutes of internal adjustment. Unless I'm mistaken, going with a Mueller, will get you out to about 150 yards, then you'll be holding for elevation. If you run a 20MOA rail, you'll get to 250 or so, but then you may or may not be able to get a 100 yard zero. I don't think you'll get down to 50.

Thanks guys for the great input! Right now my top pick is to go with the mueller, not sure when I'll be able to get around to ordering one though... And I will also check out the other suggestions, I have heard about the centerpoint being good, and am now considering it as a cheaper solution. I have seen the mueller on a lot of rimfires online, and even some on the tr specifically, so it's probably a safe bet.. And I don't think I will have any problem with running out of adjustment, I don't think I'm going past 150, and if I do, I might as well get a new rail.
Snapcrack, if there's any problem (like not holding a zero), then I can send it back right? Thanks everybody!
ATP