• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Glass rec for GAP 300 win mag hunter

EliBulldog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
I'm about to pull the trigger and order a GA Precision hunter in 300 win mag. Looking to top it with a great scope. Read great things about USO, S&B and night force but these seem more heavy tactical vs hunting glass. Love my swaro binocs so also considering this for the scope. Any thoughts? Realistically will be hunting to 400 yards but would love to start to practice out to 800+. Thanks!!

Re: Glass rec for GAP 300 win mag hunter

Wanted to give this a bump as hoping for some thoughts. Thank you!!

10X is typically enough for most hunting applications, but up to 15x can be nice for judging a rack or older eyes. I shot a deer at 575 yards with a simple VXIII 3-10 Leupold.

Not sure of the budget, but you mention GAP and Swaro, so I'll assume you've got some money to spend. I would think something like the Swaro Z6i would be very nice, a couple our on sale right now at SWFA I noticed.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-25-15x44-Z6i-30mm-Riflescope-P12567.aspx

I've heard good things about Leica scopes as well, but haven't had the chance to use them, they are about 1/2 the price of the Z6i.

http://swfa.com/Leica-35-14x42-ER-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P42510.aspx

Lastly, I'm not sure the VX6 is shipping yet, but for under $1k I would not feel underglassed at all with this scope. Looks to be a good one.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-12x42-VX-6-30mm-Riflescope-P49442.aspx

what's your budget?
I am running a Zeiss FL 4-16x50 with a target style turret with a zero stop on my 280 Ackley

LOVE the scope for a hunting rig
I have a Kenton industries turret on it
you pull up on it, spin to desired yardage and push down
great scope, glass and turret

How is the 1/3 MOA on the Zeiss though?

I've been pretty much in the same boat, but I really want rock solid reliable turrets on the scope.

I've been looking at the S&B 3-12x50. Comes in at 25 oz.

Nightforce 3-15 is a bit heavy, but has everything you could ever want.

The Swaro turrets seem funky. If they had a simple 1/4 MOA target turret on it, I may go for it.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

saw a vx-6 2-12x42 with firedot duplex illimunation......holy sh!t leupold got it right!!!! etched reticle, clear edge to edge on all powers, large eyebox, constant eye relief, illumination is up there with any of the top euro stuff and easily bests nightforce..

my buddy paid 860 for his new

Schmidt & Bender offers hunting scopes as well. Much lighter platforms with hunting variables.

Give the Premier LT Tactical a look.
25oz and feature rich. Just put one on a medium weight 7wsm and it fits well.

I recently purchased the new super high power 12 to 42 power Nightforce. I put it on top of my new 338 Lapua Savage Long Range Hunter. You do not need that kind of power of course even for 1000 yard plus shots. However, the 42 power allows you to use lower power for the shot and high power for spotting. Using much more than 20 power is tough on long shots because of haze and mirage in the atmosphere. On really clear cool days it is awesome in the higher power modes.
I am impressed with it so far and I will see how well it holds up. However, I will never buy a Nightforce again. I do not buy high priced items made in foreign companies. After dishing out the big bucks for what was advertised as a high end bullet proof scope and most important to me, advertised as "made in USA" I was shocked at what I received. The scope is clearly marked made in Japan on the bottom. A call to Nightforce to express my dissatisfaction revealed more. Nightforce employees revealed the old trick of "well we watch them and they build them to our specs”. Then I was further shocked that they were intending to import more product from overseas. The problem with all this is now I don't believe anything they advertise. I have two Nikon's on an LR308 and an AR15 varmint. They are made in Japan. They cost about 1/4th that of a Nightforce and they are probably made at the same vendor. There are several things about the Nikon’s that are very similar to the Nightforce. What a way to get a nice price mark up and stuff their pockets with the money made by cheaper imports passed off as made in America. At least Nikon doesn’t lie. They are up front about their product and offer a good scope for the money. I can’t believe what I just paid for a Japanese scope!
Buyer Beware... I think Leopold’s are still 100% made in America. That will be my next scope but not before confirmation of where it was built.
Hope this helps you.
Bob

dmorgil,

Nothing new here.
Nowhere in the Nightforce literature can I find any misrepresentation to being made in the USA. Nightforce has been very open about exactly where the optics are taken care of. It is a world class facility of a caliber which does not currently exist in the USA....At any price.

Nikon is not in the same class....Not even close nor is it hand inspected and tested by an American. Nikon is made by Nikon...other wise it would be more expensive...And better.

Leupold is a decent scope, but mechanically not even close. The new M8 scopes might be, but will be another 1500.00 and have NO track record

The worlds finest scopes are made outside of the USA...Deal with it, or buy second rate.

I would look for a used Nightforce in the Classifieds. All you need is 15 power at the max and 3 to 5 for a min, with a milling reticle, can be picked up for around $1200-1250 used. Do not need ZS or HS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmorgil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However, I will never buy a Nightforce again. I do not buy high priced items made in foreign companies. After dishing out the big bucks for what was advertised as a high end bullet proof scope and most important to me, advertised as "made in USA" I was shocked at what I received. The scope is clearly marked made in Japan on the bottom. A call to Nightforce to express my dissatisfaction revealed more. Nightforce employees revealed the old trick of "well we watch them and they build them to our specs”. Then I was further shocked that they were intending to import more product from overseas. The problem with all this is now I don't believe anything they advertise. I have two Nikon's on an LR308 and an AR15 varmint. They are made in Japan. They cost about 1/4th that of a Nightforce and they are probably made at the same vendor. There are several things about the Nikon’s that are very similar to the Nightforce. What a way to get a nice price mark up and stuff their pockets with the money made by cheaper imports passed off as made in America. At least Nikon doesn’t lie. They are up front about their product and offer a good scope for the money. I can’t believe what I just paid for a Japanese scope!
Buyer Beware... I think Leopold’s are still 100% made in America. That will be my next scope but not before confirmation of where it was built.
Hope this helps you.
Bob
</div></div>

Would it upset you to know that Nightforce is an Australian owned brand? Get over it jeeze
confused.gif

I am waiting on a Cooper rifle in 257 Weatherby, and I am in the same boat as you. It will be a hunting rifle and I wanted to stay away from the tactical look but still have the performance. I went with the Swaro 3.5-18x44 Z-5. It will work for close shots, be low profile with a 1" tube, and can still be a limited use bench gun. I won't have a range report until June. Alot of good choice's out there, good luck.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-35-18x44-Z5-Riflescope-P40825.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubledown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am waiting on a Cooper rifle in 257 Weatherby, and I am in the same boat as you. It will be a hunting rifle and I wanted to stay away from the tactical look but still have the performance. I went with the Swaro 3.5-18x44 Z-5. It will work for close shots, be low profile with a 1" tube, and can still be a limited use bench gun. I won't have a range report until June. Alot of good choice's out there, good luck.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-35-18x44-Z5-Riflescope-P40825.aspx </div></div>

I have one of those on my varmint .220 swift sako..sweet scope.

Thanks all for the great input. Ended up going with the Swaro 3-18 Z6i. Getting the etched BT on it customized to the ammo. Pretty excited to get the set-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EliBulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all for the great input. Ended up going with the Swaro 3-18 Z6i. Getting the etched BT on it customized to the ammo. Pretty excited to get the set-up. </div></div>

You couldn't have made a better choice.

I do and have "dealt with it". I worked with a lot of good people who were allowed to train their replacements in foreign countries and now no longer make great American products. I guess at my age you will have to give me one. Old men need a few rants now and again. Let's just let that go. Anyhow, I agree good scope and not a bad price for that grade of glass and coatings. If you haven’t bought it yet (I was unable to use my computer for a few days)I believe Zeiss has some very good product. I have a friend who works for Zeiss. The lower cost line is beyond real good and the top of the line is too good to see any better than their lower lines. I would buy a low end Zeiss any day. I also have a high end Burris Black Diamond as well as a very nice Leopold. Both of these scopes are so good that you can't tell the difference. You could do a contrast, brightness and clarity around the edges if you do an eyes closed comparison (with a shooting buddy) you will find contrast and lighting conditions that differ in top end scopes but they are very distortion free. I would have liked to know what I was buying from NightForce. The way I found out was after speaking with NightForce and demanding explanation, they admitted to me where it was made. And what parts came from where. When we were finished, the gentleman at NightForce admitted it was made in Japan and some parts were Chinese. I have 3 Nikons all made in Japan. I have no complaints they are good scopes. However I can by Japanese Nikons for less than half the cost of the NightForce. They are just as good. Typical quality from a Japanese product. Very good. The NightForce was purchased for 1000 yard shooting. As we all know that takes a top of the line scope. NightForce is a very good Japanese scope. For that much money however I would have bought another Burris Black Diamond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmorgil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However, I will never buy a NightForce again. I do not buy high priced items made in foreign companies. After dishing out the big bucks for what was advertised as a high end bullet proof scope and most important to me, advertised as "made in USA" I was shocked at what I received. The scope is clearly marked made in Japan on the bottom. A call to NightForce to express my dissatisfaction revealed more. NightForce employees informed me not to worry, "well we watch them and they build them to our specs". Then I was further shocked when they informed me they were intending to import more product from overseas. The problem with all this is now I don't believe anything they advertise. I have three Nikon's on an LR308 and two AR15 varmint guns. The scopes are made in Japan. They cost about 1/4th that of a NightForce and they are probably made at the same vendor. There are several things about the Nikons that are very similar to the NightForce. What a way to get a nice price mark up and stuff their pockets with the money made by cheaper imports passed off as made in America. At least Nikon doesn’t lie. They are up front about their product and offer a good scope for the money. I can’t believe what I just paid for a Japanese scope!
Hope this helps you.
Bob
</div></div>

Would it upset you to know that NightForce is an Australian owned brand? Get over it jeeze
confused.gif
</div></div>

Yes it would "upset me" but not too bad. I felt we may have a nice fit for a USA made sniper style scope. After a few months of dealing with them however I am done with NightForce. It would be a waste of money. I and several other shooters/gunsmiths across the US are shying away now as the problems begin. Remember they haven’t been around nearly as long as Burris or Leopold since it is an American Company don't expect competitors to say a word. They already know. Check out the equipment on Camp Perry's long range. (I live right next door). Mostly Leopold’s with a lot of Savorski, Zeiss and Burris.

Obviously that’s one of the things that makes this a great country. We can try what we want. I wish you the best.
Bob

Here is their headquarters and contact statement:

REPRODUCED From the NightForce contact site.

After two business days, if you have not had a reply or response from NightForce Optics, please call our customer service department at 208.476.9814 Customer Service, Technical & Warranty:
NightForce Optics, Inc.
336 Hazen Lane
Orofino, ID 83544
tel 208.476.9814 • fax 208.476.9817
[email protected]

The big tip off I missed here was the phrasing in the first to sentences. Don't expect immediate communication. Also, if you are getting very technical you will need to wait until they find the right guy. It took them 15 min to finally get someone on the phone who could talk about the coatings.

They do have an Aussie sales office but they are definitely an American out sourcing firm. They have put together a very good scope and web page as well as a sales network. The scope is just way over the top on cost for a scope put together by many different companies. If you would like to see a US scope that is very tactical check out a "SuperSniper". Very nice scope. Anyway none of them hold a candle to the aesthetics or integrity of a Burris Black Diamond.

I am all for supporting US companies and if Zenith and GM are the best we have to offer, we are in a world of hurt.

Nightforce fills a nitch and they do it well. If you want a US build high end scope then look to US Optics. Bang for the buck and a CS model second to none, look to Vortex. To categorically dismiss Nightforce as a alternative or to much less place Burris above them then I think you need to consider having a reality check.

But what do I know

If you want American buy a trijicon Tars. Expensive and heavy but is American made and I believe even the glass in the lenses are American made.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=TARS&mid=3-15x50

Here is what lowlight said.
http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.phpubb=showflat&Number=3119188

"I have no idea what you guys were looking at but the TARs was a tank with absolutely awesome glass, bulletproof internal, with something like 150 MOA without the need for an aggressive base. The internals were some of the most impressive internals i have ever seen, in fact the scope is designed to equal the durability of an ACOG, try that with any other day optic.

Did you need see that super thick dual objective lens ?

A 100% American Made, American Designed scope and not just saying that, but meaning that. They are THE only one actually using US Schott Glass from Rochester NY, nobody does that for anything other than prototyping.

Let's face it, the only complaint any of you have is, the scope is priced out of your price range.

Going to be available in both Mils and MOA with matching reticles to the turret, this scope is a truly bulletproof military designed optics and not something "borrowed" from the hunting and competition world."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmorgil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmorgil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However, I will never buy a NightForce again. I do not buy high priced items made in foreign companies. After dishing out the big bucks for what was advertised as a high end bullet proof scope and most important to me, advertised as "made in USA" I was shocked at what I received. The scope is clearly marked made in Japan on the bottom. A call to NightForce to express my dissatisfaction revealed more. NightForce employees informed me not to worry, "well we watch them and they build them to our specs". Then I was further shocked when they informed me they were intending to import more product from overseas. The problem with all this is now I don't believe anything they advertise. I have three Nikon's on an LR308 and two AR15 varmint guns. The scopes are made in Japan. They cost about 1/4th that of a NightForce and they are probably made at the same vendor. There are several things about the Nikons that are very similar to the NightForce. What a way to get a nice price mark up and stuff their pockets with the money made by cheaper imports passed off as made in America. At least Nikon doesn’t lie. They are up front about their product and offer a good scope for the money. I can’t believe what I just paid for a Japanese scope!
Hope this helps you.
Bob
</div></div>

Would it upset you to know that NightForce is an Australian owned brand? Get over it jeeze
confused.gif
</div></div>

Yes it would "upset me" but not too bad. I felt we may have a nice fit for a USA made sniper style scope. After a few months of dealing with them however I am done with NightForce. It would be a waste of money. I and several other shooters/gunsmiths across the US are shying away now as the problems begin. Remember they haven’t been around nearly as long as Burris or Leopold since it is an American Company don't expect competitors to say a word. They already know. Check out the equipment on Camp Perry's long range. (I live right next door). Mostly Leopold’s with a lot of Savorski, Zeiss and Burris.

Obviously that’s one of the things that makes this a great country. We can try what we want. I wish you the best.
Bob

Here is their headquarters and contact statement:

REPRODUCED From the NightForce contact site.

After two business days, if you have not had a reply or response from NightForce Optics, please call our customer service department at 208.476.9814 Customer Service, Technical & Warranty:
NightForce Optics, Inc.
336 Hazen Lane
Orofino, ID 83544
tel 208.476.9814 • fax 208.476.9817
[email protected]

The big tip off I missed here was the phrasing in the first to sentences. Don't expect immediate communication. Also, if you are getting very technical you will need to wait until they find the right guy. It took them 15 min to finally get someone on the phone who could talk about the coatings.

They do have an Aussie sales office but they are definitely an American out sourcing firm. They have put together a very good scope and web page as well as a sales network. The scope is just way over the top on cost for a scope put together by many different companies. If you would like to see a US scope that is very tactical check out a "SuperSniper". Very nice scope. Anyway none of them hold a candle to the aesthetics or integrity of a Burris Black Diamond.

</div></div>
You know that Burris out-sources scopes too, right? I am not completely certain about the Black-Diamonds, but most are made in the Philippines.
And Swfa has never said anything other than the fact that their scopes are made in Japan.

Wise words. I am in agreement with most of that. Now about that shot you took at Burris. My Black Diamond is the finest Hunting scope I have ever tried, owned or evaluated in 30 years. I have and have had many Burris scopes including a rare mid focus (most would call it a scout scope today) on a pistol for IHMSA. I have had 1 issue on the IHMSA scope. Lost the gas in the tube. In a week I had a new scope. No questions. I had bought it at a gun show and who knows where before that. Burris stood behind it no question. Did you have an issue with a Burris? I would shure like to hear about that. I have never heard seen or otherwise been made aware of any comparisons/complaints about a Burris Black Diamond other than It has always been as good as you can get. It has Zeis lenses the rest is all Burris. They have the very best scope rings available. Lapped in and installed correctly and it will hold any scope on a .50 cal without issue.
As you, I also like the U.S. Optics. A good value there.
Anyway, best to all
Good Shootin'
Bob

Just FYI, some NF scopes are made in the USA...

2.5-15x24 NXS
2.5-15x32 NXS
3.5-15x50 F1 NXS

And yet all their other non usa made models are high quality scopes. Way less prone to failure and issues than pretty much any other scope on the market. Certainly less prone to failure and issue compared to US Optics and definitely in comparison to Leupold. I've been so happy with the performance of my NF scopes that I just can't see buying anything else. They've definitely showed me that they are superior to the Leupold scopes I've owned. Enough so, that I can't in good conscience recommend a Leupold scope to anyone.

Wanting to buy an optic purely based on it being American made is silly.

It's a good thing we don't live close. We would have to have several hours of beer drinking' to get through this. I can tell though Marine.... you respect your elders so you would have to be nice. No more Purple Hearts for this family. All oldies! Even a WWII survivor from the beach on D-Day around here somewhere. He keeps digging holes in the yard and hides in them. (just kidden’)

Simper Fie my countryman. I'm thinking you were probably in the sand. Thanks man. You put your life up for me and you did it because I am a Countryman of yours. Thanks again.

There is a funny one on that Burris where made deal. It is much worse than Japan... Straight up Made in China. I couldn't wait to get my new Burris CQB AR322. I got it and oh my made in China! My brother is still laughing. $400 for a dot sight made in China! I bought 2 and before it was over I had retuned 8! All kinds of issues. The dot windage and elevation screws worked on some and on others the dot was splattered all over. Oh man what a mess. And right on the web page they brag "Made In America".

The simple fact is Night Force makes a scope whose reputation for reliability all scope makers should strive for. The only reason I don't run one, is I couldn't afford the one with the features I wanted.
Burris has stood behind their products that I have had, and failed... But after that I realized that a life-time warranty is best if you never have to use it. I am not aware or the specific rings you are referring to, but ones I am speaking of are the XTR's. They wouldn't hold a scope for anything! And when I called Burris, they recommended Signature Series rings. Those held the scope, but wouldn't hold the rail...I gave them away, and bought Badger's. As far as the scopes go, the first scope I ever bought was a 3-9 FFII. It has been good enough to take an elk and a buffalo. But I have since moved to other products.
Thank you for your kind words on my service. Please do not take my words as an attack on you, or even on Burris. It is just my experience with the company.

Thanks man! I am putting in an order right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmorgil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wise words. I am in agreement with most of that. Now about that shot you took at Burris. My Black Diamond is the finest Hunting scope I have ever tried, owned or evaluated in 30 years. I have and have had many Burris scopes including a rare mid focus (most would call it a scout scope today) on a pistol for IHMSA. I have had 1 issue on the IHMSA scope. Lost the gas in the tube. In a week I had a new scope. No questions. I had bought it at a gun show and who knows where before that. Burris stood behind it no question. Did you have an issue with a Burris? I would shure like to hear about that. I have never heard seen or otherwise been made aware of any comparisons/complaints about a Burris Black Diamond other than It has always been as good as you can get. It has Zeis lenses the rest is all Burris. They have the very best scope rings available. Lapped in and installed correctly and it will hold any scope on a .50 cal without issue.
As you, I also like the U.S. Optics. A good value there.
Anyway, best to all
Good Shootin'
Bob
</div></div>

facepalm.jpg

Lets not start "ring wars" again....

Tools of the trade. Burris has their place. As a Tac Scope...they are not it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give the Premier LT Tactical a look.
25oz and feature rich. Just put one on a medium weight 7wsm and it fits well. </div></div>

If you decide to go that route, I've got one for sale in as-new condition for a great price.
smile.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...415#Post3561415

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.5-10X32 Nightforce </div></div>

+1

Nightforce would be really good choice if you are wanting to stay sub $2000 if not then USO, S&B