• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glass suggestion

AngryKoala

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2020
Hello All,

I have a ddm4v9 16" 556 with a patrol rifle optic on it. I plan to use this at the range for hitting out to 600 yards but I still want to shoot at 100 yards. I obviously need glass beyond the red dot. I was looking at magnifiers but for the price I feel there are better options. Plus I will probably transfer the patrol optic to my AR pistol (when I buy it).
I'm a glass novice (only used red dots) so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I'd start by looking at the Steiner PX4 1-4, Razor G2 1-6, and I've read lots of good things about the Eotech 1-6 and Burris 1-8. for more coin, the Razor G3 is a great optic, as is the NX8 if you are looking for something really small & light.

Reactions: Docsherm
I was wondering what magnification would be optimal like a 1-10, 3-12, 3-15 ect.

For under $1k you may want to look at a few 1-8 scopes that are around. US Optics has a good one is in your budget.
It can be slightly over 1k as well I just don't want to drop 2k on a optic for a DD rifle.

Reactions: Pugster
For under $1k you may want to look at a few 1-8 scopes that are around. US Optics has a good one is in your budget.

I haven’t looked through any of USO’s latest scopes but the The USO SR8 1-8x I owned had a fair amount of “fish eye” at low power (until about 2.5x if I recall my experience with them correctly). It bothers some but not others (I couldnt stand it lol).

@AngryKoala, The Trijicon Accupower 1-8 FFP may be an option for you. They can usually be had for less than a grand and have decent reticles. 34mm main tube for those. 8x is plenty for 600 yards assuming you are shooting at something like a 1/2 IPSC target or larger.

I would really try to stay at a true 1x on the low end, then buy the best you can afford, be it 1-6 or 1-8. The new Razor would be perfect, but it’s a little more coin than it sounds like you want to spend.

I would really try to stay at a true 1x on the low end, then buy the best you can afford, be it 1-6 or 1-8. The new Razor would be perfect, but it’s a little more coin than it sounds like you want to spend.

If I have to spend it due to lack of options then I can spend the money. Whats the major difference between the new razor and the 1-8 atacr? What will those scopes give me that a trijicon accupoint won't?
Even if it's not a true 1x couldn't I just get a fixed 8 and have a 1x at 45deg?

I have a Burris XTR II FFP 1-8 ina Midwest Industries mount if you ate interested. It's only been used a few times. I'm about to actually post it in the PX.

If I have to spend it due to lack of options then I can spend the money. Whats the major difference between the new razor and the 1-8 atacr? What will those scopes give me that a trijicon accupoint won't?
Even if it's not a true 1x couldn't I just get a fixed 8 and have a 1x at 45deg?

I had a Acupoint and didn't care for it. I didn't like the reticle and the illumination was not daylight bright. the glass was fine for what price range it is, especially what the street price is for them today. finally, the eyebox flexibility just didn't work for me vs. the Razor2 - which is what I was directly comparing it to at the time.

the only scope I've got time behind that has the super forgiving eyebox of the Razor2 is the Razor3. That said, I've got zero experience with the Kahles and that scope is very well respected and has the reputation of great flexibility and resolution.

I've also got zero time on the ATACR, but it's supposed to be excellent - it has a well thought out reticle and it's supposed to have greater flexibility than the NX8 - which is a scope that I really like. but the NX8's greatest attribute imo is it's extra small size and weight. If the ATACR is in your LVPO budget I've heard the new Minox is supposed to be really great too and should be +/- ATACR money.

all of the scopes mentioned are not "true"/paralax free 1x optics. they do the best they can with the compromises their designers believe works for their market.

if you like offsets, than you can go anyway you want - there are plenty of great mid range optics from Leupold, Vortex, Steiner, Nightforce, Kahles, ZCO etc. it's all about the feature set you want (eg. locking turrets vs capped, reticle that makes sense to you, budget, etc)

My friend just bought a burris rt-6. Way under your budget brand new and I have to say it’s pretty nice. For what it honestly sounds your in need of this could fit the bill and save a lot of them as well. Just a thought for you to check out

Not all the rage like the 1-8s mentioned above but the Leupold Mark AR series are affordable as another option.
1.5-4, 3-9, 4-12, & 6-18.

Not all the rage like the 1-8s mentioned above but the Leupold Mark AR series are affordable as another option.
1.5-4, 3-9, 4-12, & 6-18.
I also like those options just wish they made a 1-6 instead of that 1.5-4.
They don’t make it anymore but I have the vx6 multigun 1-6 on my wife’s 3 gun rifle and it’s a pretty sweet little optic not sure why they did away with it but it works great for her.

I appreciate all of the responses. I think I will go with the razor gen3. It seems to be the best bang for the buck. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
If 1x is important to you I think you’ll like the Razor. I picked up a GenII nonE 1-6 here on the classifieds because it was offered at a great price & I had been wanting to check one out. Even though it’s heavy the eye box is great and at 1x with the red dot it’s highly enjoyable to shoot. I don’t have it on a host right now but still can’t bring myself to part with it.

Hello All,

I have a ddm4v9 16" 556 with a patrol rifle optic on it. I plan to use this at the range for hitting out to 600 yards but I still want to shoot at 100 yards. I obviously need glass beyond the red dot. I was looking at magnifiers but for the price I feel there are better options. Plus I will probably transfer the patrol optic to my AR pistol (when I buy it).
I'm a glass novice (only used red dots) so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Take a look at the Blackhound scopes. Very nice scopes that are dealer direct cutting out the middle guy. THEY HAVE A 1X8 AND A 1X6 THAT ARE VERY NICE AND BUDGET FRIENDLY. I have used both, not as good as my Burris XTR but hundreds of $$ cheaper.

Hey guys so I just checked and the longest range around me is 300 yards so I guess I could probably drop to a 1-6. I've seen some posts suggesting the razor HD gen 2. Is this the route to go or at 300 yards should I just get a magnifier? Magnifier isn't that cheap so I wouldn't save much either way.

The nice thing about good glass is it will usually outlive your rifle and can move at-will.

You don't seem to be too reluctant to ponying-up the extra dough, so I'd toss my hat into the ring behind the new Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24 in MRAD. I just received two of them a couple of weeks ago and they're "all that." These are my first Razors, mounted with Scalarworks LEAP 07's. I'm accustomed to putting ACOGs, EOTechs / Aimpoints + Magnifiers, and Elcan SpecterDR's on my combat carbines -- especially since I run a lot of NV.

It took me a LONG time to come around to an LPVO, and the G3 Razor does not disappoint. It works brilliantly with the UTC-Xii thermal and Flir MUNS clip-ons, and is nearly as fast, in my non-high-speed experience, at 1x acquisition as my T2 or EXPS.

It's a special optic, and not outrageously priced.

I was thinking MOA for myself. My buddy just gave me a nice deal on a 18" FN15 but not sure I want to pull the trigger (1299 comes with a Nikon 1-6). Thinking I can plop the razor on that and use the nikon for my carbine.

Did you notice a huge difference at distance vs using an elan or red dot with a magnifier?

I was thinking MOA for myself. My buddy just gave me a nice deal on a 18" FN15 but not sure I want to pull the trigger (1299 comes with a Nikon 1-6). Thinking I can plop the razor on that and use the nikon for my carbine.

Did you notice a huge difference at distance vs using an elan or red dot with a magnifier?

MOA works just as well. I'm more of an MOA guy myself, more because that's what I "grew-up" with, but... the MRAD version has the nifty Horus-style "Christmas Tree" reticle, which makes hold-overs much quicker. If the MOA G3 had the same reticle, I probably would've opted for that instead, but it has the more basic crosshair with some hold-over markings.

In answer to your second question -- Oh yeah! There's a significant reach improvement over either RDS+Magnifier or the Elcan SpecterDR. I bought two -- one for my SR-15 and the other for my SR-25 ECC. I was considering a higher-power optic for the SR-25, but most of my shooting is <500 yds, so 10x seems like the ideal compromise -- especially since it starts out at a legit 1x.

Best of all worlds.

Just my $0.02 in a world where pennies are worthless. :)

Going for man-sized targets you won't need much magnification. You might get more bang for your buck in the under $1k budget looking for a used Vortex, NF or Trijicon. Running a 1 generation older scope will still you great clarity and performance. Older scopes sell for a bargain when the newer models come out as many shooters treat scopes like cell phones and gotta have the latest and greatest, which is expensive. Majority of shooters wouldn't know they have a older gen scope until they see or read about the new release. It's an option to consider to avoid paying for trendy high end brand name glass.