• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Global Warming ?

Tuna921

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Fort Lauderdale
My Butt

Few minutes to the beach and 4 inches last night.Going to be 50 today and melt.

24eoyfq.jpg

Re: Global Warming ?

Yes, I drove down here to Florida from Central NY several weeks ago to evade Winter. Now, every state but Hawaii has snow, so I guess we all have a lot of company.

Greg

one of the coldest and snowiest winters on the books here in VA. I think someone should take Al Gore and stuff a huge ice packed snowball up his ass and send him to someplace nice like PA or MD to enjoy the climate and SNOW. Global warming my ass!!!

We've actually had one of the warmest winters on record, but it followed THREE of the coldest and wettest on record. So the overdue el nino or la nina is WET - and it's what is causing your snow - but it's RAIN here...

It rained so friggin hard last night I thought my roof was going to collapse -

My back porch has black mold, standing water in the backyard - frogs and salamanders and you wouldn't dare walk on the grass as you will sink 3" into muck.....the cat is trapped on the porch for a week until this crap drains (I gotta fix that this summer LOL)

I hear west of the rockies is rather dry and warm this year. I hope this doesn't turn into a dry summer for us east of the mountains.

On FOX news today

Joseph Romm, a climate change expert and former Energy Department official; Jeff Masters, a meteorologist who writes on the Weather Underground blog; and others argue that this winter's snowstorms are, counterintuitively, evidence of global warming and not cooling.

"It's absurd for the 'anti-science side' to say we're in a cooling trend when we're in an overall warming trend," says Romm of the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank. "Heavy snow is not evidence that climate science is false," he added, noting that "the snow we've seen is entirely consistent with global warming theory."

But Patrick J. Michaels, senior fellow in environmental studies at the Cato Institute and state climatologist for Virginia for 27 years, disagrees. "Global warming simply hasn't done a darned thing to Washington's snow," he wrote on National Review, adding that "if you plot out year-to-year snow around here, you'll see no trend whatsoever through the entire history."

<span style="font-weight: bold">Politicians are jumping on the bandwagon, too. "It's going to keep snowing in DC until Al Gore cries 'uncle,'" tweeted Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuna921</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On FOX news today

Joseph Romm, a climate change expert and former Energy Department official; Jeff Masters, a meteorologist who writes on the Weather Underground blog; and others argue that this winter's snowstorms are, counterintuitively, evidence of global warming and not cooling.

"It's absurd for the 'anti-science side' to say we're in a cooling trend when we're in an overall warming trend," says Romm of the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank. "Heavy snow is not evidence that climate science is false," he added, noting that "the snow we've seen is entirely consistent with global warming theory."

But Patrick J. Michaels, senior fellow in environmental studies at the Cato Institute and state climatologist for Virginia for 27 years, disagrees. "Global warming simply hasn't done a darned thing to Washington's snow," he wrote on National Review, adding that "if you plot out year-to-year snow around here, you'll see no trend whatsoever through the entire history."

<span style="font-weight: bold">Politicians are jumping on the bandwagon, too. "It's going to keep snowing in DC until Al Gore cries 'uncle,'" tweeted Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C.</span> </div></div>

What absurd is a weatherman trying to tell me he can predict what the weathers gonna do years from not when he can't get tomorrows forcast right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">72 and sunny here. </div></div>

You must pay extra property taxes

Shit, we got 12" of snow in Kemp,TX. Been here for 30+ years and have not seen more than 3" previously. Imagine what it would be like without global warming? hahahahaha

I think people get fixated on the "warming" part. From what I understand is the above normal temps cause extreme storms resulting in these crazy snow storms in some places. No one knows for certain though, except that change is constant and in any direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipitysnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think people get fixated on the "warming" part. From what I understand is the above normal temps cause extreme storms resulting in these crazy snow storms in some places. No one knows for certain though, except that change is constant and in any direction. </div></div>

And my dick is 14" long...

I'm in Miami, FL and in the 2nd week of January we had a cold front that actually caused freezing here. Awoke in the morning and saw my bird feeder had frozen over, frost on the cars and trucks, etc..global warming my ass.

To follow the logic of RFK jr., the absence of snow in D.C. a couple years ago was definite proof of global warming. Thus the abundance of snow now is proof of global warming...

The subjects of dictatorships, totalitarian regimes and tight fisted monarchies must submit to bullshit of this nature for fear of grave punishement. That otherwise free people, with no worry of retribution, accept it as unequivocally true is evidence of an intellectual indolence so profound that the republic is endangered by the sloth of it's citizenry.

This is ample proof that the burgeoning supply of suckers is still a booming field for exploitation.

Al Gore was worth under 10 million before his golbal warming started, now he is worth over 100,000,000.00

It's sunny & clear here today.
I believe this means that the current global trend is that there will be no clouds and no night time.

I don't need no stinkin' scientist to tell me otherwise. I know what I see.

Global warming is bs, just another way to make money!
Here in washington its 52 degrees and sunny.... Id love some snow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipitysnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think people get fixated on the "warming" part. From what I understand is the above normal temps cause extreme storms resulting in these crazy snow storms in some places. No one knows for certain though, except that change is constant and in any direction. </div></div>

And my dick is 14" long... </div></div>

well my dick.....played on the feature screen....yo dick went straight to dvd

Hot weather causes cold temps. That makes sense.
I would like to know what persons it is that gets to decide what the perfect global temperature is. Who the hell gets to decide that we are 2 degrees to high or 1 degree to low? I like it hot some like it cold. Let the people decide by locating to the climate they prefer. Utter bullshit

It's cold as hit here, and this area isn't used to getting freezing temps... It has nothing to do with the rain in my AO, it's just COLD.

Global Warming is just the trend, a trend that is loosing steam. In a few years, it will be something different...

I am old enough to remember when the big thing was global cooling. We were supposed to be heading for another ice age that would kill us all like the dinosaurs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipitysnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think people get fixated on the "warming" part. From what I understand is the above normal temps cause extreme storms resulting in these crazy snow storms in some places. No one knows for certain though, except that change is constant and in any direction. </div></div>

Yeah, sort of how they focus on a thin layer of gas, no a small amount of that gas that is refractive in the right way, no a small percentage of that special gas, say 3%, that man is associated with man... and not the oceans or a giant nuclear fireball that provides almost all the warmth we do have.

In other news, scientist discovered a third giant magnetic rock that has frozen over and been smashed sufficiently to wipe out almost all life, multiple times, and possibly even birth a moon. On it live these fragile predators with more advanced brains than the other species. Though thy are the species dejour of the last nanosecond, and could be easily wiped out because nearly none is capable of individual survival, they think the big rock is scared of them and their big, bad, plant feeding tailpipes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am old enough to remember when the big thing was global cooling. We were supposed to be heading for another ice age that would kill us all like the dinosaurs. </div></div>

Pitched by the same scientists no less. Th fix for both situations involves less people and less technology coincidentally enough.

I'm probably going against the usual view here but have to mention that just because the USA has snow this year in odd places doesn't mean that the overall temperature of the GLOBE isn't increasing. Contrary to popular belief the USA, that I love!, isn't the only place where weather matters.

The fact that we are getting snow now doesn't stop the polar ice caps from melting at record rates or stop the world's glaciers receding at faster than normal rates. If you take the time to study this stuff you'd be surprised what you learn. The world is not just what you see outside of your window.

For reference, in northern Nevada we're getting significantly LESS snow than we did in the 1990s... it's ridiculous. The ski season kinda sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hot weather causes cold temps. That makes sense.
I would like to know what persons it is that gets to decide what the perfect global temperature is. Who the hell gets to decide that we are 2 degrees to high or 1 degree to low? I like it hot some like it cold. Let the people decide by locating to the climate they prefer. Utter bullshit </div></div>

This might answer some of your questions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatology
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm probably going against the usual view here but have to mention that just because the USA has snow this year in odd places doesn't mean that the overall temperature of the GLOBE isn't increasing.</div></div>

You're right, the fact that it isn't increasing, and hasn't been for a decade, yet is measured to be cooling on average, that is what means it isn't. And actually, for the "globe" as a whole to increase as opposed to cooling it would mean we've gone nuclear and are now a star. The surface temperature is not the temperature of the globe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that we are getting snow now doesn't stop the polar ice caps from melting at record rates or stop the world's glaciers receding at faster than normal rates. If you take the time to study this stuff you'd be surprised what you learn. </div></div>
Err, that's not a fact. Here's a hint.... which pole's glaciers and before which corrections are you referring to? You're right, it would be amazing what you learned... if you studied the stuff.

Now, I laughed when you followed up with anecdotes here:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The world is not just what you see outside of your window.

For reference, in northern Nevada we're getting significantly LESS snow than we did in the 1990s... it's ridiculous. The ski season kinda sucks. </div></div>
For real reference, the ski season in northern Nevada has been classified as "kinda sucks" for a good 10,000 years. It will pick up again, and it won't have a damn thing to do with us.

I gurantee you that everyone whose first snows were snowmageddon will in 20 years remember how it just doesn't snow as much as it used to, and find something to blame their faulty recollections on. I had one guy say how where he was from it was too hot to grow and farmers were hurting. The real stats? His area was cooler and had experienced more rain than statistically occurs and had been on that trend for over 3 years.

Anyone up for saying how gov't thermometers don't lie? Go ahead, but I'll leave you red in the face there too.

It's easier to mock people that worship man's power than anti-gunners, flat-earthers, and politicians combined. Please, pull out more bogus claims, please.

still does not answer the "BIG" question. Who gets to decide what the "Global" temperature gets to be? You? Me? You may not want to ask me because I would really like to be warmer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hot weather causes cold temps. That makes sense.
I would like to know what persons it is that gets to decide what the perfect global temperature is. Who the hell gets to decide that we are 2 degrees to high or 1 degree to low? I like it hot some like it cold. Let the people decide by locating to the climate they prefer. Utter bullshit </div></div>

This might answer some of your questions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatology
smile.gif
</div></div>

OK, it's beginning to get darker here now.
The sun appears to be sinking behind the trees.
It's already getting colder too! At the current rate of temperature decline, and with the sun gone, it will be something like 300 below zero by Monday.

Global warming, my ass!

Now that we're losing the sun forever I'm afraid humanity won't able to survive.

Oh God...... <span style="font-weight: bold">OH GOD!</span>

Guys they've changed the arguement to Climate Change. So hot or cold they can always be right. I just think Seasons are screwing their with thier heads.

They're looking for the next "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE UNLESS" as we speak. They'll figure out something to scare the sheep into thinking the end of the world is coming again.

Remember the hole in the Ozone layer, that miraculously appeared about the same time we put a satellite up that could read that kinda stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm probably going against the usual view here but have to mention that just because the USA has snow this year in odd places doesn't mean that the overall temperature of the GLOBE isn't increasing.</div></div>

You're right, the fact that it isn't increasing, and hasn't been for a decade, yet is measured to be cooling on average, that is what means it isn't. And actually, for the "globe" as a whole to increase as opposed to cooling it would mean we've gone nuclear and are now a star. The surface temperature is not the temperature of the globe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that we are getting snow now doesn't stop the polar ice caps from melting at record rates or stop the world's glaciers receding at faster than normal rates. If you take the time to study this stuff you'd be surprised what you learn. </div></div>
Err, that's not a fact. Here's a hint.... which pole's glaciers and before which corrections are you referring to? You're right, it would be amazing what you learned... if you studied the stuff.

Now, I laughed when you followed up with anecdotes here:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The world is not just what you see outside of your window.

For reference, in northern Nevada we're getting significantly LESS snow than we did in the 1990s... it's ridiculous. The ski season kinda sucks. </div></div>
For real reference, the ski season in northern Nevada has been classified as "kinda sucks" for a good 10,000 years. It will pick up again, and it won't have a damn thing to do with us.

I gurantee you that everyone whose first snows were snowmageddon will in 20 years remember how it just doesn't snow as much as it used to, and find something to blame their faulty recollections on. I had one guy say how where he was from it was too hot to grow and farmers were hurting. The real stats? His area was cooler and had experienced more rain than statistically occurs and had been on that trend for over 3 years.

Anyone up for saying how gov't thermometers don't lie? Go ahead, but I'll leave you red in the face there too.

It's easier to mock people that worship man's power than anti-gunners, flat-earthers, and politicians combined. Please, pull out more bogus claims, please.
</div></div>

I won't even bother trying to convince you of anything. Believe what you want to believe, doesn't matter to me.

Edit: if you took the time to learn anything about northern nevada before spouting off you'd realize that Reno has a ski resort 25 minutes away called Mt Rose which has the highest base elevation of any resort in Lake Tahoe, in addition the Ruby Mountains have many peaks over 13,000' with a heli-ski operation in Elko, Nv. So get your facts straight before bothering with a reply.

Never cease to be amazed by some of the people who buy this crap. Sorry to hear about your ski season.

dumb-and-dumber.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What this country needs is a Department of Climate Change- like Australia. We could then spend billions of dollars on the subject, create millions of useless jobs, and lower unemployment which will prove that Obeyme politics works and change is a good thing!!!

Han </div></div>

This already exists in everything but name. It's called publicly-funded science.

As far as people on both sides talking about year-to-year variability somehow explaining or refuting anthropogenic climate change, what a crock.

1) There are serious issues with how "global temperature" is measured, as if such a thing is easily done.
2) There are clear problems with how the ~100yrs of instrumental temperature data is interpreted, given the changes in station equipment, measurement protocols, and surrounding land use to mention a few.
3) Climate variability on a regional scale is quite high on a centennial timescale, and to point to things like glaciers or drought is a bit absurd, when we really have no idea what conditions have been like on a high-resolution timescale before a few years ago at worst, a few decades ago at best.

There is little proof on either side at this point. If you read the fine print, even the most dyed-in-the-wool GW climate modelers will tell you that they cannot predict the role of major players such as water vapor and clouds, both in paleomodels and future predictors. Huh.

Bottom line, "Global Warming", or "Climate Change" as the zealots have relabeled it, is little more than a fundamentalist religion, where if you do not swallow the entire line, you are basically considered pure evil. The motivations? Feelings of self-importance, control of others, and money.

If you currently make the mistake of letting the State educate your children, prepare for an onslaught of additional "Climate Change" curricula. A catchphrase I caught at a recent conference referring to skeptical parents and teachers: "green denial".......

It was 65 here today.
Since the climate has now changed at my house again, I wish to retract my previous condemnation of global warming.

I agree with others in this thread who stand by the theory that you have to assume that whatever is going on at your house at any given moment is exactly what is happening on a worldwide level.

So, for now, global warming seems to be a real threat to our way of life.
If it continues to warm this week as much as it did today, it will be August here by Wednesday.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and stick my head back up my backside so I am not influenced by science and other such nonsense.

I'll pull it out for a while tomorrow and see if the long-term trend has changed again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's the blood poisoning. You still among the bi-pedal Tucker? </div></div>

It's definitely a slow healing process.
I have spent most of this weekend with it elevated and alternating ice and heat.
The goose egg is still as big as a baseball in diameter and it still hurts after spending much time on it.

Research indicates these things can take up to a month to get right.
I'm two weeks in and it's slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never cease to be amazed by some of the people who buy this crap. Sorry to hear about your ski season.

dumb-and-dumber.jpg

</div></div>

That's one of the best movies ever!

Seriously though, unless anyone here is a climatologist it's pretty much a waste of time to discuss this stuff as no one is a real expert on the subject (assuming anyway). Would you take gun advice from a climatologist? Probably not.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, which is all that's going on here - we're not the scientists so you know, what good does it do to get all pissed off about something that we 1) can't change 2) don't have all the facts on 3) are discussing a topic that even the experts tend to disagree on

There's always a fear tactic being used by political parties to make their drones fall in line, that's probably the best description for global warming right now as I see it. However, it never hurts to lessen the waste by-product of our cars/machines and to protect the limited resources at our disposal. That's why logging companies replant... gotta keep shit around for later; same with oil and finding alternate energy source - limited resources should be conserved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's one of the best movies ever!

Seriously though, unless anyone here is a climatologist it's pretty much a waste of time to discuss this stuff as no one is a real expert on the subject (assuming anyway).</div></div>

It's not so much that We are climate-tologists - it's that you have different scientific opinions broadcast - and two or three scientists have quit and come out and said they were downright threatened for not going WITH the "global warming" theory.

But the other scientist in particular, worked for NASA, and flat out said that we were 3 years behind on solar cycles, the average temp is SHRINKING since 1995 - we DID go through a warming phase.

Anyone old enough to remember "We have to ban CFC's otherwise the planet will cool down!" ???

I do remember that, everyone's big fear was that we would cause an ice age by using too many chemicals in the atmosphere.

Didn't happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyone old enough to remember "We have to ban CFC's otherwise the planet will cool down!" ???

I do remember that, everyone's big fear was that we would cause an ice age by using too many chemicals in the atmosphere.

Didn't happen. </div></div>

Oh yeah, I remember that. I was a youngin but I do recall... I did see the change from just about everything containing CFCs now not containing CFCs as well. Whether or not that had anything to do with anything changing - no idea but it was another one of those scares in use.

Society is about progress (ideally and usually) - so if scaring people into using less oil and using alternate renewable energy helps keep the environment cleaner then the end fits the means. I am a big proponent of keeping public use areas open to dirtbiking and 4x4s - something the Sierra Club absolutely hates - but people need their outlets. Therefore if someone comes up with an alternate energy dirtbike that's as fun to ride as my gasoline burning carb'd 250 is... I'll ride it. I want to be able to USE the lands around me, not have them closed off. The same goes with whatever the hell these scientists decide about global climate change, I take "the newest fad" with a grain of salt, but it does make sense that the less oil we use as a society the cleaner our environment is and the longer we can enjoy it. If you've ever seen the results of oil processing and/or shale oil production it's absolutely disgusting how it harms the wilderness areas we could be enjoying in other ways. So surely there is a compromise somewhere here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Seriously though, unless anyone here is a climatologist it's pretty much a waste of time to discuss this stuff as no one is a real expert on the subject (assuming anyway). Would you take gun advice from a climatologist? Probably not.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, which is all that's going on here - we're not the scientists so you know,
</div></div>

You are assuming quite a bit here.

Duponts patent ran out on R-12 freon coincidently at the time they discovered and patented R-134 freon and R-12's banning. Hmm sounds like a little government sponsered corporate greed.