• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 10mm replacement barrels-KKM or Lone Wolf?

balkandom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
NW Arkansas
Hey folks,

I'm looking for a better barrel for my G20, I'm having the bulging case issue with hot loads. I have read good things from both websites, but I'm looking for a bit of personal experience. I'm interested in a plain stock-length barrel. I'm open to any advice you have.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Re: Glock 10mm replacement barrels-KKM or Lone Wolf?

I have several lone wolf glock barrels. All have been good. I can't think of much reason to spend 2-3 times more on the KKM.

The 29 and 20 barrels I own have TIGHT chambers. No bulging issues whatsoever, and more accurate than I can shoot, which is to say 3" groups at 25 yards offhand isn't a problem.

As far as I'm concerned, they're good to go, and a steal for $100.

Be warned though, the fully supported chamber comes at the expense of 100% reliable feeding. Obviously, Glock didn't DESIGN their pistols to bulge brass - it's a side effect of relieving the feedramp for stone cold reliable feeding. My LWs are probably 99.5%, but I do get a failure to fully go into battery on occasion.

I use a 24# recoil spring, and use ~10gr 800X under a montna gold 200gr JHP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balkandom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey folks,

I'm looking for a better barrel for my G20, I'm having the bulging case issue with hot loads. I have read good things from both websites, but I'm looking for a bit of personal experience. I'm interested in a plain stock-length barrel. I'm open to any advice you have.

Thank you in advance,

Mike </div></div>

What year is your Glock. The newer Gen 3's don't usually have this issue, as the sometimes around 2008 they beefed up the chamber support in the stock barrels. Anyway its not recommended to shoot reloads in your factory polygonal rifled glock barrel. Lone-Wolf is the way to go for the money! I got a 6" lone wolf just for hunting, and I picked up 100-160 fps on various loads. Also the 22lb wolf spring and guide rod helped with the consistency of the fps from shot to shot. With the factory spring and guide rod I sometimes had a 50 FPS difference, now its pretty consistent with the 22lb spring. The Stock length Lone-wolf is the way to go, if you don't want an extended barrel.

They are old, probably 1st generation. They were bought when they first came out. Based on what you all have told me, the Lone wolf is the way to go, where does one get the spring? The guns will be shooting warmly loaded Speer 180gr GDHP's.

Thank you all for your advice.

I did this search a couple of months ago. Researched KKM, Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and Pac Nor. The Pac Nor deal seemed to be the best where you send them your pistol and they get it feeding 100% before sending it back to you but they have several months of backlog right now. I called KKM as they were my second choice but they were out of stock and he, while a very nice guy, was not sure when they would be in stock again. I can't remember why I did not go with Storm Lake. I thought Lone Wolf was going to be the ticket but after reading a bunch of stuff on the internet, I opted to just stick with factory for now as it has been totally reliable. I don't reload pistol ammo but have run a bunch of Underwoods 135 and 200 grainers through it and it functions flawlessly. Good luck with your choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Balkandom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are old, probably 1st generation. They were bought when they first came out. Based on what you all have told me, the Lone wolf is the way to go, where does one get the spring? The guns will be shooting warmly loaded Speer 180gr GDHP's.

Thank you all for your advice. </div></div>

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister...info/GMSSR20CS/ That link is the Best deal I've seen on one.

If you go with a 22lb recoil spring, remember it is for the hot loads. It keeps the gun from taking abuse and really helps keep consistent FPS. Keep your 17lb factory for shooting real light loads. Very light loads don't eject as forcefully or as far, but I have never had a malfunction shooting light loads. Anyway if you want to shoot light loads you don't need a 10mm, just get a 40 S&W. I also got a conversion barrel to shoot 40 S&W, that's when I put the 17lb factory back in, as it easier for the light load to push the slide back. The hot 10mm's slam slide with the 17lb factory back to fast and with to much force sometimes. If you carry it, I would suggest keeping stock parts, as you can buy a new Glock OEM barrel, as they have good chamber support. For the range and hunting, the aftermarket parts are the way to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did this search a couple of months ago. Researched KKM, Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and Pac Nor. The Pac Nor deal seemed to be the best where you send them your pistol and they get it feeding 100% before sending it back to you but they have several months of backlog right now. I called KKM as they were my second choice but they were out of stock and he, while a very nice guy, was not sure when they would be in stock again. I can't remember why I did not go with Storm Lake. I thought Lone Wolf was going to be the ticket but after reading a bunch of stuff on the internet, I opted to just stick with factory for now as it has been totally reliable. I don't reload pistol ammo but have run a bunch of Underwoods 135 and 200 grainers through it and it functions flawlessly. Good luck with your choice. </div></div>

I don't know why anyone would send a glock off for work unless it's for a finish coat. If you can clean a pistol, you can change a barrel, trigger, or any spring on a Glock. Lot's of Videos out there that show step by step instructions for everything.

I bought a KKM, it was too tight (wouldn't go into battery with Norma brass) and they gladly took it back to open up the chamber a bit. It's been great ever since and I can recommend them. I don't understand Turbo's comment about a KKM being "2-3 times more", my barrel was about $150 plus shipping.

I've got the Lone wolf and have been pleased with it.
Use a Lee factory crimp die if you reload. I get 100% reliably reloads using it.

Hey Silver Bullet -- what does the recoil spring have to do with consistent velocities out of the barrel?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titandriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Silver Bullet -- what does the recoil spring have to do with consistent velocities out of the barrel?

Thanks!</div></div>

Helps keep the barrel locked up till the bullet is out of the muzzle. With the 17 lb spring you can start to see premature opening of the breech and therefore velocity inconsistencies.

FWIW, I have several thousand rounds through the G20 and G29 platform and handload for both. In my G20 I went with a Lone Wolf barrel and have no regrets. My G20SF was a 2010 and I still got case bulges when running really hot loads. Not big enough bulges to worry about case failure or anything, but enough that resizing was a pain in the ass. The LWD does fail to go back into battery every once in a long while due to chamber tightness as has been said but not often.

Also run Lone Wolf's 22 lb spring and steel guide rod, and have been pleased. Someone above said to only run the stronger spring for heavy loads, which is fine but I leave mine in all the time whether shooting 40S&W equivalent loads or serious beast loads, and it hasn't cause any failures with light loads.

Enjoy!

I've also noticed more consistent MV with the heavy recoil spring.

I also leave my 24lb spring in all the time, regardless of ammo. No issues. The '20 seems heavily undersprung from Glock.

While newer Glock barrels certainly support the cartridge better than early ones, FULL power (and more than full power) loads can really benefit from more support.

I threw a lone wolf bbl and 22lb wolff spring/steel guide rod combo in my 20SF and it hasn't hiccupped once. I was worried about shooting lead through the oem bbl.

I did pay the extra fee to have lone wolf blind mark and blue the bbl so I don't have to look at that stupid cartoon wolf. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way that I had to pay extra for that, but the people were nice to deal with and it was still a good value. The bbl has been excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I threw a lone wolf bbl and 22lb wolff spring/steel guide rod combo in my 20SF and it hasn't hiccupped once. I was worried about shooting lead through the oem bbl.

I did pay the extra fee to have lone wolf blind mark and blue the bbl so I don't have to look at that stupid cartoon wolf. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way that I had to pay extra for that, but the people were nice to deal with and it was still a good value. The bbl has been excellent. </div></div>

A fine swiss-tooth file and 5 minutes also removes the homosexual wolf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I threw a lone wolf bbl and 22lb wolff spring/steel guide rod combo in my 20SF and it hasn't hiccupped once. I was worried about shooting lead through the oem bbl.

I did pay the extra fee to have lone wolf blind mark and blue the bbl so I don't have to look at that stupid cartoon wolf. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way that I had to pay extra for that, but the people were nice to deal with and it was still a good value. The bbl has been excellent. </div></div>

A fine swiss-tooth file and 5 minutes also removes the homosexual wolf. </div></div>

If they didn't offer blind marking I definitely would have resorted to that

I got a Lone Wolf compensated barrel for my Glock 36 and it would not fire HP rounds. They would hang up every time. It shot FMJ fine. I sent it back and after they had it for nine weeks I called them and they said that they would replace it for a newer one that had a better slope for the HP. Now they had the barrel for nine weeks and I had to call them to find what was going on with my barrel. They also asked if I still wanted it in black because that would take an other four weeks. They claim that there barrels will shoot any thing. This one didn't and there customer service sucks. I picked up a 6"barrel for my Glock 21 from them and it works fine. I have had no problems from it. It shoots HP Lead any thing I put in it. So I guess you just take your chances with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titandriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Silver Bullet -- what does the recoil spring have to do with consistent velocities out of the barrel?

Thanks! </div></div>

RyeDaddy answered perfect "Helps keep the barrel locked up till the bullet is out of the muzzle. With the 17 lb spring you can start to see premature opening of the breech and therefore velocity inconsistencies."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did this search a couple of months ago. Researched KKM, Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and Pac Nor. The Pac Nor deal seemed to be the best where you send them your pistol and they get it feeding 100% before sending it back to you but they have several months of backlog right now. I called KKM as they were my second choice but they were out of stock and he, while a very nice guy, was not sure when they would be in stock again. I can't remember why I did not go with Storm Lake. I thought Lone Wolf was going to be the ticket but after reading a bunch of stuff on the internet, I opted to just stick with factory for now as it has been totally reliable. I don't reload pistol ammo but have run a bunch of Underwoods 135 and 200 grainers through it and it functions flawlessly. Good luck with your choice. </div></div>

I don't know why anyone would send a glock off for work unless it's for a finish coat. If you can clean a pistol, you can change a barrel, trigger, or any spring on a Glock. Lot's of Videos out there that show step by step instructions for everything. </div></div>

They do more than change the barrel. They "fit" it for feed and function. Read the hundreds of posts online about aftermarket G20 and G29 barrel feeding problems. Maybe then you will figure out why someone would send theirs in. It is not a barrel swap, it is a fitting and Pac Nor is the best whether it is a 1911 or a Glock. They must do something right as their backlog is now 6 months.

Ok folks,

I went with the Wolf standard length barrel and the 22# recoil spring setup from Glockmeister, based on what I gleaned from what all of you have said. I took a few things into consideration. The first being that the recoil spring on a stock G20 is rather lacking (I have 1006's and 1076's, I don't have to buy upgrades), and my father wants to shoot juggernaut full power loads through his Glocks.
The second thing I took into consideration was the barrel, and it really seems that the Wolf will do what I need it to do as far as the heavier loads are concerned, and the extra bonus is that it opens up shooting cast bullets.
If any are interested and any care, I will be loading up his stuff (Pretty easy), but since I have come into a rather large amount of 10mm, I'll be loading some GC (Gas Check) 10mm cast bullets of different sizes, as well as some swaged jacketed bullets made from 9mm brass just to see how they work, and if they do well, I will be making them myself.
If any want a progress report, please let me know, I'm not going to crap up the boards with my rambling.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the reply Ryedaddy & Silver Bullet! Does the effect of "premature opening" show up only on the chrono or does the brass exhibit signs as well?

Thanks!

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teamr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did this search a couple of months ago. Researched KKM, Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and Pac Nor. The Pac Nor deal seemed to be the best where you send them your pistol and they get it feeding 100% before sending it back to you but they have several months of backlog right now. I called KKM as they were my second choice but they were out of stock and he, while a very nice guy, was not sure when they would be in stock again. I can't remember why I did not go with Storm Lake. I thought Lone Wolf was going to be the ticket but after reading a bunch of stuff on the internet, I opted to just stick with factory for now as it has been totally reliable. I don't reload pistol ammo but have run a bunch of Underwoods 135 and 200 grainers through it and it functions flawlessly. Good luck with your choice. </div></div>

I don't know why anyone would send a glock off for work unless it's for a finish coat. If you can clean a pistol, you can change a barrel, trigger, or any spring on a Glock. Lot's of Videos out there that show step by step instructions for everything. </div></div>

They do more than change the barrel. They "fit" it for feed and function. Read the hundreds of posts online about aftermarket G20 and G29 barrel feeding problems. Maybe then you will figure out why someone would send theirs in. It is not a barrel swap, it is a fitting and Pac Nor is the best whether it is a 1911 or a Glock. They must do something right as their backlog is now 6 months. </div></div>

That means they polish the feed ramp on the barrel, and sometimes fit and then polish if the barrel if it is to tight. I sanded a Barsto once to fit and then polished. They are tight,and usually need to be fitted. The Lonewolfs usually drop in (no fitting needed), and I haven't heard to much of or experienced feeding problems with the Lonewolfs as there not as tight. That's cool if one wants to pay to have it done, people have to make money, and they must do a good job!
cool.gif
I still say it's all easy to do on a semi auto pistol like a Glock, with so many vids and instructions out there to help..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titandriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply Ryedaddy & Silver Bullet! Does the effect of "premature opening" show up only on the chrono or does the brass exhibit signs as well?

Thanks!

Rich </div></div>

You can possibly see brass bulging, no big issue unless you reload. Hot loads generate enough pressure to prematurely open your breech face. When this happens, the opening breech face has an effect on the burn rate of the powder which effects your FPS by as much as 100.

What has happened to cause all this is the ammo manufacturers have water downed the 10mm (aka 10mm FBI loads). For these loads you will not see this problem, and the stock 17lb weight is sufficient. For shooting the hot loads, you really need a 22lb spring weight.

I use KKM barrels in my Glocks and love them. I won't go with any other brand any more. Personal preference, but I'm a big fan of the KKM barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use KKM barrels in my Glocks and love them. I won't go with any other brand any more. Personal preference, but I'm a big fan of the KKM barrels. </div></div>

I just bought a Lone Wolf threaded barrel for a G21 suppressor host. It was all over the place for the first 100 rds or so. Seems to have settled down some but it does not seem as accurate at the original Glock barrel.

I also just bought a KKM for a G19 suppressor host because of my experience with the Lone Wolf (and because there are no Lone Wolf G19 threaded barrels out there it seems.) The KKM was ~220 with thread protector so not 2-3X. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I use a 24# recoil spring, and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">use ~10gr 800X under a montna gold 200gr JHP</span></span>.</span> </div></div>

what kinda velocities where you getting??

(also to anyone reading this, i wouldn't dare fire that in a stock barrel without the case support!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjaytuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I use a 24# recoil spring, and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">use ~10gr 800X under a montna gold 200gr JHP</span></span>.</span> </div></div>

what kinda velocities where you getting??

(also to anyone reading this, i wouldn't dare fire that in a stock barrel without the case support!!) </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">It is a stiff, stiff charge that must be worked up to slowly!!!</span>

JayJay, it goes just a shade under 1400fps

I have a kkm in my 20,I can shoot baseball size groups at 15 yards on a good day,I would change the recoil spring/rod with the
barrel swap,some extra power mag springs are a must if you shoot
mostly hot or stout handloads