• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 17 w/ RMR Initial Impressions

deadly0311

Tacticool Ninja
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I recently added some forward cocking serrations and lightening port to my Gen 4 Glock 17. I had an RMR 01 here and wanted it mounted. I do not have CNC capabilities and doing the slight radius of the RMR on a manual mill didn't sound like fun to me, plus my patience wouldn't allow it. I sent my slide to Doug Presson @ DP Custom Works for the RMR cut and received it back a few days ago. Dougs work was very good and the RMR mounts up very very tight.

My initial impressions are very good and hopeful.
-With the suppressor height sights finding the dot is very fast. If you punch the gun out looking for the dot you run into trouble, if you punch out looking for the front sight the dot appears very quickly.
-The RMR01 is a 3.25 MOA dot and I find it very good for the distances this gun will most likely be used inside of. 1-50 yards
-The tits Doug machines into the slide help soak up some of the recoil along with the screws and dont rely on the screws only to absorb recoil
-The cuts and RMR weigh to my uncalibrated hand less than the factory slide without anything done to it.
-The lightened slide seems to help the gun shoot flatter and track a little better
-The solid mounting of the RMR is good as it has been used as a slide racker a time or two since it got here
-I have always been so so with a pistol when it came to inside 15 yards, outside that I sucked. The RMR really does help when the distance starts to grow with getting accurate rounds on target
-Zeroing the RMR is a little time consuming as it adjusts in 1 MOA increments, and making sure you still apply the fundamentals of pistol shooting

All in all I am very happy thus far with the work and the setup. I could honestly see doing this to a Glock 19 that I have here as a EDC.

Any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer

What is it like reaquiring the dot after firing? What does your sight picture look like through the course of firing, what does it look like as the dot returns to your target, assuming you had good follow though?

Why no comp like a true open pistol?

I'll try and get some through the optic pictures. Reacquiring the dot isn't bad at all. Like I said its a very flat shooting pistol, and provided I keep a good form I don't lose the dot at all.

Rob, I didn't build this as a comp gun. More along the lines of a tactical (as much as I hate that word) gun. I have yet to shoot any of the pistol disciplines such as IDPA, IPSC, or the likes

Red dots aren't only for gun games. I have EDC a RMR'ed G22 on-duty for over two years.

56608E75-5C2B-42C6-A98E-6A365D64D447-1650-00000188DB99E3B1.jpg

I love running a red dot.... a person would be amazed at how much better you get when shooting irons (b/c that little dot shows you all your imperfections... once you polish them up, it becomes instinctional).

Set this guy up as a dual use item (open class/3 gun set up) and I love it.
2j1k4fn.jpg

Nice build deadly...

any suggestions for the easiest way to zero a red dot for a pistol? Im planning on putting a vortex razor red dot on a g17 in the near future

I see in all the pictures no one used the available mounting plate - i know from trijicon they are expensive but is there a reason besides that?

the mounting plates from vortex are only 20 dollars so i was planning on just using one of them

Reason I didn't use the mounting plate is that it puts the sight that much higher. If I could have buried it more I would have. When I zeroed mine I started at 15 yards and got roughly zeroed and moved the distance out to 50 for fine tuning going out in 10 yd increments. There is probably an easier way but I had ammo to burn and nothing to do that afternoon.