• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

Stalpeth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2012
Metropolis, IL
Can't make up my mind on which one to get so help me out. This won't be a carry gun just something new to try at the range mainly to shoot steel. Also any advice on upgrades would be great like trigger, sights, etc. Anybody have theirs set up with an RMR if so pic's please and would you recommend it.

Thanks
Phone Man

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

If you're wanting a range gun I would go with a long slide set up with a RMR. The longer guns are more fun to me for something like that. But if you're sold on a 19 I would go non compensated. I'm not a fan of the fire blowing out the top. Although it does look cool at night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock 19 (gen3) with 10-8 or Straight 8 sights, Glock Factory OEM 3.5lb connector, and shave the finger grooves off and stipple.

If you have big hands like me kick your pinky out when you reload or you'll pinch your palm. I keep a 17 round mag as my reload. I don't like the compensated versions (and it's silly in a 9mm Glock anyway, grip angle and bore axis) and I don't like the Gen 4.

Last edited:
Standard 19 Gen 4 (more adaptable with the interchangeable backstraps). The compensated models are being discontinued by Glock anyhow.

I love, love, love my G21C. I had serious doubts about it before buying it - I just didn't think those little slits in the barrel would be very effective, nor did I think a 45 had enough pressure to drive a compensator very well. I was dead wrong; it works great!

I did buy a standard G21 barrel I can swap in, though - so I can run it non-comp'd when I choose.

I say buy the "C" model if you're interested!

As for triggers, they're highly subjective. My preference is a Wolf hi-power trigger return spring, a Wolf low-power firing pin safety spring, a 25 cent trigger job, and setting sear engagement on the striker lug to .025".

Compensated is fine as long as you never plan on carrying it regularly. It'll destroy your night sight when you fire it, and the best defensive pistols aren't usually compensated. For range and fun only? Go for it guess. You can always get a regular Glock 19 barrel too and then have it un-compensated as well. Best of both worlds.

Most Glocks I leave stock, but polishing on bearing surfaces helps if you're keen on that, and a Glock 3.5lb. connector is nice for a range pistol too. I'd leave the recoil springs alone unless you fire weak handloads, weak target loads like I do, then you may find a steel guide rod and various spring weights handy. But with a carry gun, keep all this stock.

For all Glocks: Sights? Always change those, all my Glocks have aftermarket sights. I like Trijicon for carry, Meprolight adj. for target shooting. Both use tritium. You could use the ext. Glock slide release if you like, but I'd be wary of aftermarket anything save some of the steel guide rods and sights. Generally, Glocks work best stock. They just do.

But then again, it'll work fine for range use without being compensated too. Get some good sights and go for it. I have several Glocks, not a one is ported. For target use, I put a 15lb spring it for light loads, and I carry the same G17 or G17L using the factory recoil spring with regular loads. No problems.

I have a G17L, a 6" long slide, and it's a tack driver as far as Glocks go. Now that one and the G34 are both 9mm's that have large cuts in the top of the slide that allow for ported barrels already. The 17L stopped coming in C model a long time ago due to issues it caused with the sights. Aftermarket Trijicon or Meprolight may alleviate this problem, I don't know. Not sure if 34 comes in a C model. Regardless, they have the cuts and you can have a stock barrel or aftermarket barrel ported to work with these openings. You'll have two barrels, one compensated and one not; the best of both worlds, only in a longer pistol.

Lots of options, but they work best as stock as possible if you ever plan on depending on it. Good luck and Happy New Year!

G17 / 10-8's / chop it to a 19 grip / Dremel to fit your hand / stipple

I just bought a Gen 4, G19. I really like the interchangeable grip panels. They made some other improvements as well. There were plenty of early problems with Gen 4 guns, but those problems appear to have been remedied.

2013-12-31 12.08.08.jpg
2013-12-31 12.07.19.jpg
gen 2 with trijicon HD I have an internal laser sight as well replaces the main spring.

I run my glocks with a OEM glock extended mag release and I sand the corners and take a bit of length off. I can get to the mag release without altering my grip. I like warren tac sights. For a range gun the sky's the limit on upgrades...don't really see enhancements down range from any wizbang doodads. A good set of sights will produce the best upgrade in my opinion. let us know what you do

General question for those who have first hand knowledge. I have both a 17 and a 19 Gen 2 that are bone stock. No complaints over the years with them. I see a lot of guys changing out the connector and springs on gen 3 and 4's to improve trigger pull,etc.

My question is, is it worth doing on a Gen 2?

I'm of the mind of if it isn't broke, don't fix it and my trigger feels perfect to me. Of those people I've seen have issues with a Glock, all had done some tweaking of some sort to the gun. Hence my reluctance to consider changing any of the internals out.

I have a 17 Gen I with 70,000 rounds through it. No mods. No issues. Just sayin'...

I wouldn't change a thing on the trigger...shoot it and you will be more than proficient. Read case law on shootings and you will find out it is a benefit to not change the trigger. glocks are a force when it comes to practical shooting.

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

Read case law on shootings and you will find out it is a benefit to not change the trigger.
Please don't keep us in the dark:

You wouldn't happen to have a citation to a 'trigger change' case, would you?

Because the issue is whether deadly force was permissible in self defense, not how heavy is the trigger pull.

I'm just saying, if you have to face a prosecutor in court it is not a good thing. It is not in criminal court but in civil court this may come into play. just a thought

I'm just saying, if you have to face a prosecutor in court it is not a good thing. It is not in criminal court but in civil court this may come into play. just a thought
I know what you are saying. I'm stopping short of accusing you of making it up. So I'm instead asking you to justify WHY you are saying what you are saying:

Why is facing a prosecutor having used a 3lb connector gun 'not a good thing' compared to a 5lb connector gun.

What may 'come into play' in civil court with a 3lb connector that doesn't with a 5lb connector?

To each their own. It comes down to what you are comfortable with because you are ultimately responsible for your actions. not trying to start anything. just something to think about. thanks for the discussion on this Graham.

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

I'm stopping bad info, not starting anything.

The legal system is a system: If people are going to give advice about that system based on 'case law', I would like to know on what that advice is based.

Trigger pull weight has nothing to do with whether or not deadly force was appropriate under the circumstances. Nor is it an excuse for, or a defense to, a negligent discharge.

OP,

A Glock 19 is a perfect carry gun. But if you intend to mostly shoot steel I would go with a 17 and, if you don't have large hands, reduce the grip. I prefer Dawson sights. Lasers and lights are (mostly) tourist traps. Unless you are competing you don't need a high-zoot expensive trigger setup.

Last edited:
I have the G19 with Meprolight sights and Vickers Tactical extended magazine release. I had tried the Glock extended mag release, but it was too long.

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

I understand what your saying. I'll include a hyper link to Massad Ayoob. The Massad Ayoob Chronicles, Part V | The Truth About Guns
He has spent many years in the court room as an expert witness.
I know Mass. I first met him in 1980.

He advises against triggers lighter than the factory recommends. He also says that anything you do as a modification to make a weapon shoot better is 'defensible'.

I understand that people often repeat what he says. But what I was asking you is: WHY?

WHY does he say he recommends against light triggers? It is not because there's a body of 'light trigger' case law.

Last edited:
Can't answer that one Graham...guess we can just place the debate out there and let each and every person make a decision on what they will do. Good conversation and I think it will make people think.

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

Can't answer that one Graham...guess we can just place the debate out there and let each and every person make a decision on what they will do. Good conversation and I think it will make people think.
The answer is in the text of the link that you posted: Mass is against light triggers because, under stress, it increases the likelihood of an unintentional discharge. It has nothing to do with case law.

Last edited:
This guy asked for some advice on a gun, not a high court debate.

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

This guy asked for some advice on a gun, not a high court debate.
If you think that it was a high court debate you've never been to a high court.

It's called Thread drift. It happens.

Glock 19 or Glock 19c?

I have carried a 21 C for 9 years and have qualified day and night fire with it every year. I have never had it effect my night vision, especially with low flash powder in defense ammo.

The down side of the C models is if you ever shoot in competition the put you into open class and while the ports do work, they are not enough to be competitive in open division of most games.

A lighter connector will work fine if you keep the dremel away. The generation of Glock will not matter. Lighter firing pin springs can cause light primer strikes depending on which primer. My 34 has the springs and connector changed and the trigger pull is just under 3 lbs. It is 100% reliable with federal and winchester primers. Move away from those primers and all bets are off.

If you may carry it at some point the 19 or 19C are great. If it will strictly be a range gun you would probably be happier with the 17 or better yet the 34. The 34 does not come as a C model but the slide is open and you can get aftermarket barrels with the ports if you wish.

I have 8 Glocks. The 34 has over 7000 rounds and the 21C has over 5000. They have all been great guns. If you like the grip angle (which I do) I'm sure you will be happy with any of them.

Last edited:
General question for those who have first hand knowledge. I have both a 17 and a 19 Gen 2 that are bone stock. No complaints over the years with them. I see a lot of guys changing out the connector and springs on gen 3 and 4's to improve trigger pull,etc.

My question is, is it worth doing on a Gen 2?

I'm of the mind of if it isn't broke, don't fix it and my trigger feels perfect to me. Of those people I've seen have issues with a Glock, all had done some tweaking of some sort to the gun. Hence my reluctance to consider changing any of the internals out.

Back to this. I didn't change the springs, I changed the connector and replaced it with a Glock OEM part (3.5lb connector) that they put in their competition models. It doesn't make the trigger lighter, but it takes out the hump you feel before the break on the standard Glock trigger. The part, when you can find it reasonably, was around $5 and takes a whole 2 minutes to swap in. I bought a pack of 10 years ago. I only own one Glock but they're all gone now. Everyone that's tried my Glock has asked me to swap one in, or give them one to have their department armorer swap in. It's worth checking out in my opinion. There are aftermarket versions of this part, but I went with a factory part for various reasons, even through they're harder to find generally.

Can't make up my mind on which one to get so help me out. This won't be a carry gun just something new to try at the range mainly to shoot steel.

If you're wanting a range gun I would go with a long slide set up with a RMR. The longer guns are more fun to me for something like that.

Glocks are sweet as they are in the simplest form that you can get them.

Stick with the basic, non - compensated 19 - or get a 17L, which has six inches of fun.

For the range, the longer - the better :)

I won't carry a C model. I had a 17C years ago and fired it from the retension position during a class. I got a face full of burning powder and a lot of embarrassment. A compensated 9mm is kind of pointless anyway.

I shot over 4,000 rounds through my 34 last year My next favorite Glock is the 19, no need for the comp barrel in the 19 it shoots soft enough as is and the comp barrels will night blind you and their dirty.

G 34, G 19 and a 30s on the way. need another 17 for my collection and a 10mm.

Did I mention I like Glocks. Just to easy to work on and so many mods available.

If it is not a carry gun, why stick with the 19? I would pick up a 17 or 34. The C models will give you some interesting marks if you ever shot it from a close/retention position.

I swapped my sights to a set of Warren tacticals with a red fiber optic front, solid black rear. Put in a new connector and the competition spring kit from glockwokz. I kept the stock striker spring in tbough to prevent issues with tough primers. So 20 bucks to upgrade the trigger seems pretty affordable to me.