• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 19 problems

VTgunner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Fredericksburg, VA
I have a Gen 3 G19 I bought about two years ago. The last range trip on Monday I noticed that the slide no longer locks to the rear after the last round in the mag. It did it on all 7 of my mags. I clean it after every use so I don't think it's because of that.

Any ideas or thoughts??

Re: Glock 19 problems

Not a hack on you but do you limp wrist? If not why don't you just call Glock and get it handled under warranty? That way you will be assured a safe and reliable pistol

No I don't limp wrist. I passed it off to a couple co-workers (all also mil or FLEO) and they had the same problem.

If you have big hands, and a thumb over grip, the glock 19 is very easy to ride the slide stop. If you ride the slide stop, it won't lock back.

If you do this a lot, then the slide stop will get more rounded out and won't catch as well.

If this isn't the case, then you might just need to clean your mags. (But it doesn't sound like this is it.)

Does it lock back when you hand cycle with an unloaded mag?

Are you shooting light hand loads or 147gr sub sonic ammo? Also like the above question will it lock back when you rack the slide?

Pull the slide off of the frame. Insert an empty mag into the frame and see if the mag follower lifts the slide stop up. There should be a small tab on the slide stop that makes contact with the mag follower after the last round is fired and pushes it up locking the slide back. If that tab is bent or broken off it won't operate correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have big hands, and a thumb over grip, the glock 19 is very easy to ride the slide stop. If you ride the slide stop, it won't lock back. </div></div>

I had that problem with my XD 9mm. It just did'nt feel comfortable without my thumbs close to or on the slide release/stop, I got a CZsp01 because of that.

Definitely inspect it like Phylog said. You didn't upgrade your recoil spring recently did you?

Sometimes the heavyweight ones will cause this, especially with light loads.

It's your grip. Your thumb is hitting the slide lock and releasing it. Happens to me on all my glocks. Try moving your thumbs out of the way or filing off the slide lock tab...

Wow ok lol.

Right now I'm shooting Sellier and Bellot 115gr and Federal Hydra-Shok 147gr factory loads.

Yes it locks to the rear when I rack it without a mag.

I haven't upgraded anything but the mag release and put on night sights.

I'll try adjusting my grip to see if that's it. I hope it's not something that dumb but who knows

either your thumbs bumping the slide lock lever or the slide itself its worn to a point that it wont lock back anymore. from wear over time the slide notch will wear down and no longer lock back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll try adjusting my grip to see if that's it. I hope it's not something that dumb but who knows </div></div>

Do you shoot 1911s much?

does it happen on all your mags? worn out spring maybe?

When you strip the weapon down for cleaning, do you do the basic field strip or an armorer complete take down. If it is the later, you may not have the slide stop lever spring fully underneath the locking block pin. Fast way to check this is to remove the slide and push up on the slide stop lever. If the lever snaps back down quickly, it is installed correctly.

Over gripping and depressing the slide lock is the most common reason next to mag springs wearing out. Though 2 years is way too early for 7 springs to wear out.

Make sure the slide lock and spring is installed correctly, and the spring is in the proper position. An earlier posting already mentioned checking the tab on the slide lock to insure it is present, and in it's proper orientation.

disassemble check Slide lock and spring. Check Magazines. Does it happen with all your mags? If it locks without a Mag then I would think that the malfunction is in the mag, ammo, or perhaps the slide lock itself.
Hang in there. It is probably something pretty simple. It IS A GLOCK.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sounds like a case of Nancy-girlie wrists at work ...</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"C'mon, hit the gym and step up to a .40-something ... like I did."</span>
napoleon-dynamite.jpg

laugh.gif

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Sounds like a case of Nancy-girlie wrists at work ...</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">"C'mon, hit the gym and step up to a .40-something ... like I did."</span>
napoleon-dynamite.jpg

laugh.gif

cool.gif
</div></div>

If you learn how to aim and shoot correctly you won't need anything bigger than a 9mm

;-)