• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Glock 20 SF breakdown problems

Flying Goose

Gun Toting Hippie
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
Wyoming
I know this is not a Glock site nor is it a pistol site but there are enough of you to know what I may be looking at. Let me preface this with, this is not my first Glock so yes I do know how to take it apart (at least major groups). I just traded in my old Glock 20 for the SF model. Ran a snake through it and shot off 50 rounds this weekend. I then went to take the slide off to clean it and I can get the slide to release about a 1/4 in but it wont come the rest of the way off. I don't want to put too much pressure behind it fearing its caught on something and the closest Glock certified gunsmith is 2hours away.

I was shooting Fed 200gr factory ammo and all shots were clean, no malfunctions, and with one exception all casings were ejected in the same direction of about 4-5 o'clock. The one that didn't go that direction hit me in bill of my hat. Also all casings had the same firing pin mark that was received from factory sample

Thoughts?

when it it releases a 1/4" can you pull the trigger to release it the rest of the way?

Are you still able to function the slide normally other than trying to remove it?

Dry firing only moves the slide back that 1/4 to lock it back in place, I've tried holding the slide in place and slightly forcing the trigger but it wont budge. The slide functions completely normal other than not being able to break it down.

When you say 1/4 are you talking about 1/4 of an inch or 1/4 of the length of the slide?

Additionally, have you changed out any parts such as springs, trigger, or safety spring

Last edited:
I had a new 20SF as well, make sure the trigger is pulled and "oomph" it off, it will be sticky the first couple of times....

give me an idea about oomph... I've put 20-30lbs on it and nothing, I'll try that though

make sure you don't have a magazine in the pistol as well, im sure you don't but if im not mistaked it wont come off easy with one in

1/4 inch

yes the magazine is removed but thanks for the double check

no after market anything it is 100% stock

After pulling the trigger and moving the slide back, are you pulling down on the pulldown lever just in front of the trigger guard (required to remove the slide?)

do you know how to remove the slide cover plate? It is a PITA trying to diagnose these on the internet. rack the slide back, remove the cover plate and that should give you a better view of what is going on in there with a good light. you might see that it is hanging up or the safety could be catching in which case you take a small 3/32 or similar sized rod (Allen wrench) and see if you can manually operate it to remove the slide

Well, the only time I've run into a similar problem is:

Not pulling the trigger prior to retracting the slide a 1/4" or,

Not pulling down hard enough on the takedown lever before attempting to move the slide forward for disassembly.

SORRY!

So I tried a bunch of things when I got to the house, non of them worked so I called a guy in town and took it down there and low and behold right in front of me doing exactly what I do every time it worked.... it was a little stiff but all the same WTF!

I have no idea, thanks for all your ideas