• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 34 gen 5 MOS Question

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hello,

Considering a Glock 34 gen 5 MOS and a Glock 17 gen 5 to purchase next year. I would be all in on it except that the MOS slide cut has me hesitant. Was originally looking at a 17, but then shot a 34 gen 4 and loved the way it felt over a 17 gen 5. Was more accurate with the 34 as well. Yes was the 34 broken in more? Yah, just like my 26 gen 4 is smooth and accurate. Regardless, I enjoied it more than the 17.

So my actual question is to you 34 gen 5 owners that DO NOT have a RDS mounted. Has the MOS plate or screws ever been an issue (backing out, rusting, etc)? I like the solid slide of the 17 but still prefer the 34. I am not wanting a RDS as I prefer the simplicity/durability of iron sights on a handgun.

My purpose for the handgun? Utilitarian handgun (CCW, range, social unrest, off-duty training, etc). The PD I work for should be going to 17 gen 5 handguns in October, so I may just run with a 17, we’ll see.

Anyways, any issues with the MOS configuration if I’m not going to actually use it? Be awesome if Glock had a non MOS/ non slide cut slide for a 34!

Edit to add: If it matters, i’ll have an estimated round count of 600 9mm and 6,000 .22lr (Advantage Arms .22lr Slide) rounds per year through it.

Last edited:
Not exactly the same, but I've put 1000 rounds through G19 MOS without the plate screws moving..

Reactions: PBWalsh
I just sold a gen 4, Glock 34, absolutely no issues with the plate or screws with thousands of rounds. Only issue I had was with my own ignorance and found that when ordering Dawson sights I forgot to select mos compatible ones which wouldn’t have covered the mos plate. Side note, I have a safariland g34 optic ready als retention duty holster for sale dirt cheap if you’re interested ?

I used blue Loctite with both the optic and on the regular plate when not using the optic

I was in this debate just last week. I ended up going with a Gen 4 G34 MOS. The main reason why I went this route over the Gen 5 is that the Gen 4 has the cool cut out on top of the slide towards the front. The Gen 5 is sweet. But right now there are more after market options with the Gen 4. As long as the finger grooves don't bother you I would suggest getting the Gen 4 non MOS if you have any worries. To be honest I think most handguns will start to offer more MOS options. We will be seeing more optics for pistols in the years to come.

I was in this debate just last week. I ended up going with a Gen 4 G34 MOS. The main reason why I went this route over the Gen 5 is that the Gen 4 has the cool cut out on top of the slide towards the front. The Gen 5 is sweet. But right now there are more after market options with the Gen 4. As long as the finger grooves don't bother you I would suggest getting the Gen 4 non MOS if you have any worries. To be honest I think most handguns will start to offer more MOS options. We will be seeing more optics for pistols in the years to come.

That cool cut out groove is exactly why I will not buy a 34 gen 4. That cut out gives room for Murphy to work its way in and cause malfunctions. I'd rather not take a dive in loose gravel/mud/etc. and have my slide gunked up with debris preventing my slide from actuating. For a competition standpoint the cut out is just fine, but for serious usage, it can hinder under less that ideal circumstances.

Think I am leaning towards a 34 though, I may decide in a galaxy far, far away that I want and trust a red dot.

That cool cut out groove is exactly why I will not buy a 34 gen 4. That cut out gives room for Murphy to work its way in and cause malfunctions. I'd rather not take a dive in loose gravel/mud/etc. and have my slide gunked up with debris preventing my slide from actuating. For a competition standpoint the cut out is just fine, but for serious usage, it can hinder under less that ideal circumstances.

Think I am leaning towards a 34 though, I may decide in a galaxy far, far away that I want and trust a red dot.
Ya I was in the same camp as you. At first I didn't like the cut out. But then I realized that my 34 will just be a competition gun/range toy. For a SHTF gun I will take my 19 all day long or my USP 45 Tactical. The balance of the gen 4 is awesome. I was taking with the Glock rep when he visited the local gun store I often go to. He said on the Gen 5 they made the slide out of a different material on the 34. That way it's still as light as the Gen 4 slide with the cut out. They are both extremely well balanced. With the Red Dot sight just by one that allows you to co witness suppressor height sights.

The Gen 5 G34 is an amazing gun right out of the box. The slide is made out of a completely different material and has a more durable coating. Yes, the notable open top is no more but it still handles exactly the same. The MOS plate a screws is a non issue when not having an RMR in place. Great gun!

Totally forgot about this thread! Went with the 34, now thinking of switching to a CZ Shadow 2... go figure!

Probably only around 2-2.5k round through it currently. Never got the .22 slide, can’t justify it when I can buy 2k rounds of 9mm for the same price.
34629189-2459-49CD-955C-F71D56D8502F.jpeg

The slide cut out was created to balance the gun, allow ported barrels and keep springs and other internal parts compatible with the G17.

If you have debri from mud, sand or gravel that might inhibit the function of the weapon, that is the least of your problems. You should be more concerned with what got into the muzzle, that when fired is going to cause serious damage to the gun and you.

I have a twenty five year old G24 with the slide cutout and it has been to hell and back and never created a problem.

If the slide cutout bothers you look at the Baretta 92 that served our military for over twenty five years in some of the harshest enviroments. It's slide is open from the barrel chamber to about a half inch of the muzzle.

If you preffer iron sights you must be under forty years of age. Time and mother nature will likely change your mind about RDS.

I have a gen 3 34 with the cut and a gen 5 without, with an RDS. No issues with either one, screws backing out or otherwise. IMO the finger grooves are more of an issue on the G19, particularly for people like me with wide hands. After 14 years with this same Gen3 G19 I think it is gonna get a relief cut under the triggerguard. It rubbed me raw during a high round count, 4 day training I went to. Yes I blue loc tited the RMR plate and optic on.

For those who, like me, hate suppressor-height sights, consider the Shield RMS when putting a red dot on a handgun - and, face it, those that can eventually will.
The Shields have a rear sight notch cut into the sight body, acting as your rear sight. If the dot fails, go to notch and front sight post, easy.

I have a gen4 34 with a shield and like the setup. I have since transitioned away from Glocks and to the Sig 320s, as the Xfive indexes hella better for me and the trigger is worlds better than anything Glock makes - and no more trigger finger bites.
My plates all wear blue loktite and nothing has backed out. I don't care for the MOS plates as the screws seem super short and you only get a few threads of plate-to-slide grasp. That said, I have not sheered a screw or had an issue.

For speed and precision, red dot is where it's at (and that coming from one who learned on a 1911 and always believed a man's caliber started with a 4); and for red dot, I am a Shield fan. I've run RMRs and Romeos and Fastfires, and all are now in a box, with Shields whenever possible. If you're gonna get an MOS, get a red dot and play with it. Once you go to dots - and put the practice in to retrain your brain - they make going back to irons a pain.

For those who, like me, hate suppressor-height sights, consider the Shield RMS when putting a red dot on a handgun - and, face it, those that can eventually will.
The Shields have a rear sight notch cut into the sight body, acting as your rear sight. If the dot fails, go to notch and front sight post, easy.

I have a gen4 34 with a shield and like the setup. I have since transitioned away from Glocks and to the Sig 320s, as the Xfive indexes hella better for me and the trigger is worlds better than anything Glock makes - and no more trigger finger bites.
My plates all wear blue loktite and nothing has backed out. I don't care for the MOS plates as the screws seem super short and you only get a few threads of plate-to-slide grasp. That said, I have not sheered a screw or had an issue.

For speed and precision, red dot is where it's at (and that coming from one who learned on a 1911 and always believed a man's caliber started with a 4); and for red dot, I am a Shield fan. I've run RMRs and Romeos and Fastfires, and all are now in a box, with Shields whenever possible. If you're gonna get an MOS, get a red dot and play with it. Once you go to dots - and put the practice in to retrain your brain - they make going back to irons a pain.
Rancid:

Thanks for the post. Hope this is a hijack but have been looking everywhere for the right Glock 17, G4 RMR slide. I'm on the fence about getting a complete slide vs getting a Gen 4 MOS entire gun. At some point, it's pretty damn close to the same amount. I'm pretty tough on my Glock because it rides my hip on a hunting ranch in Florida. Thoughts on milling slide, buying 2nd slide, or buying stripped slide and building myself? Any input would be great.

Lone Wolf is an option, they will sell you a complete slide, but it will cost what a whole new gun would. There are shops that will mill your slide but, again, expect to pay a hundred $$ for it.

Are you getting the LED RMR or the dual?

If open to suggestions, I am a fan of the Shields (and I do not work for them or get anything for recommending them, I've paid for every one I have.) If you get an RMR, you'll probably want/need suppressor height sights to get over the sight body and co-witness; that isn't a problem with the Shield. Also, the dual is dim, especially if you get the triangle version as they use the same amount of tritium to illuminate a dot vs a 12.9MOA triangle, making the triangle all but pure ass-sucking-dimness.

Hope that helps.

Thanks @RancidCoolaid .....Let me check out the Shields. I have no bias at this point. Certainly appreciate your feedback

The singular downside to the Shield is that the dot source is visible from in front of the gun. Then again, I am finished with 2-way ranges (I hope) so am not as concerned about my light signature. It is a minor thing, and I run them anyway, because the competition has more severe issues, in my opinion.

You can run glocks stock all day long, but for me things they need are guard undercut, grip groove removal, stipling and pre Gen 5, trigger work.

My 35 limited gunView attachment 7150203
and EDC 19. Trick on the RMR if you go that way, nail polish the screws. Local PD complained about some working loose on their MOS duty guns.