• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 34 & Glock 17

Mactrev

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2012
Kingsville, MD
Only have a Taurus 357 right now & was looking to buy a Glock that I could use for home defense , 3 gun & target shooting. I like the idea of 9mm(less recoil & cheaper to shoot) and high round count. What do you think of the 34 & 17 ?? Also saw that they have different generations too. Would like to hear your opinions - thanks .

Re: Glock 34 & Glock 17

Go with the 34...I carry a 35 (Its larger-caliber counterpart) on entry; it is unreal what that weapon is capable of. I know that several here may disagree, but I like the longer barrel & sight radius. Try them both and see for yourself.

I went with a G35 because if I ever wanna shoot major at a pistol comp I'll have a pistol to do it with, I too like the longer sight radius, get the G34 for sure.

Definitely feel both to see which you like more, if it's going to be used for protection get what you're comfortable with for your home. Same goes with the generations, whichever you prefer. 4 is new, has some upgrades and more grip options. With that though Gen4 has some bad reviews which always come from new models and shouldn't be enough to discourage you. Gen3 lacks all the new perks but is tried and trusted. Go look at and handle everything! See what you like. Also you can get other Glocks and convert calibers very simply if 9mm isn't what you're completely set on too.

i have both and love them but if i had to choose 1 for a do everything gun besides conceal carry i would choose the 34 and i would get a gen3 in the newly released coyote tan

If you aren't going to carry it, the G34 will certainly be an excellent option. Either Gen 4 or Gen 3 would work. I like the mag release on the Gen 4s a little better than the Gen 3 guns, and with 9mm I haven't noticed any real recoil difference between generations like in the .40s.

As a note, the 34s aren't available in the FDE.

-Sean

I carry a G35 at work and love it. For home protection / competition i'd go with the G34 from your choices. I personally dont like the Gen 4's cause of the new texture. They have made some improvements between Gen 3 & 4 though, not enough to be a deal breaker if you cant find one or the other.

I'd go with the 34 in Gen4. Have a 34 an love it but just picked up a Gen 4 19 and like the new changes. The 34 balance's great and works great not to mention fairly accurate as far as Glocks are concerned

In my opinion, the 17 is too big for CC, so if CC is a consideration, go with a 19 or 26.

If CC is off the table, the 34 becomes a no brainer. It isn't stupid big, is top notch for competitions, and holds its value a bit better than the others.

If really maximizng your performance is what your after, and you're willing to forgo the pistol being able to fit in the "IDPA box", consider the 17L, which is another 3/4" longer yet than the 34.

The trigger is better on the G34, it is better for comps with the longer sight radius but pretty big for carry. For carry agree with Turbo, G26/G19.

I run a 35 in comps b/c I can load down the 180gr bullets and still be on power factor. Makes knocking steel over easier than 147/124gr 9mm rounds. I carry my G26 or G19.

Thanks for all the responses . Not sure if I will ever get a CC permit cause I live in MD(only criminals have those hard to get permits here). How many rounds do the G26 & G19 have? Anyone use these in 3 gun competition?

Other than CC it sounds like the G34 is the way 2go . I live on a farm and work many nighshifts away from home. Im thinking my wife could handle the 9mm better than the taurus 357 too.

19 holds 15. 26 holds 10. Either can except from mags from gun the next size up. IF you plan on carrying I'd vote for the 19, otherwise I hold with my previous recommendation of 34.
PS: the 34 holds 17. Any of the mags can add a +2 cap on the base or just say screw an get the 33rd'r an have fun!
An of course "add 1" for the chamber for total capacity.

I CC a G19 and Competition/3gun with the G34. Why settle for 1 when you an just buy 2? Glocks aren't that expensive.

As far as buying Glocks - are places like GUNBROKER.COM a good place to purchase (save on taxes). Or are local gunhops able to match online prices? Any favorite online stores you would recomend? Thanks

I've never bought from gunbroker but I browse it all the time to check prices. Budsgunshop.com is very popular and they have good prices. Ask some people who live around you if you can, there's a pawn sop near me that sells for $10 bucks over cost. Might be able to find something similar near yourself.

GB is way overpriced, your better off buying local FFL and if you can find a good PawnShop, I bought both my 34 and 35 for under 550.oo each..
Also Mac fill out your profile..

I know a few places in Texas that give Glock LEO pricing to all first responders, military and security, which is $398 for many of the models, my G34 Gen4 was $515 after tax.

gtdist.com

I will check with some guys at work(BCFD Firefighter) about discount purchases. When I bought my AR15 , I went the internet route for the better deal than local.

Looks like the G19 is one of the most popular handguns around. May have to pick up a G19 & G34.

G19 is just about the perfect all around pistol as far as I'm concerned.

-first, it's a glock, which means it is reliable, and very easy to operate. Very few "nuances" and special instructions. Mag in, rack it, stick in holster. To shoot, pull it out of holseter, point at target, pull trigger. Repeat as necessary. When finished, put back in holster

-second, it is sized perfectly for all around use. It is small enough to reasonably conceal, but large enough it's not a "little" gun.

-Third, it has excellent capacity. 15+1 in the form factor of the G19 is fabulous

-Fourth, 9mm is great for many reasons (coming from a 45/10mm guy, by the way). The modern 9mm ammo has made it very, very competitive in terms of terminal ballistic performance. It doesn't recoil a lot, has a small form factor so for a given pistol size, you can always hold more 9mm than 40, 357, or 45.

The G19 is tough combo to beat for "all around" pistol purposes. For those that specifically want to target practice, there are better options. For those that want to deeply conceal a pistol, there are better options. For those that want protection from BIG stuff, there are better options. However, for a one-size-fits-all pistol, look no further.

Another question - Anyone use the G19 in 3 gun competitions? Or is the G34 a better choice for that area ?? thanks

You might want to go to a range and check them out (or see if a friend has one to try). I like the way the G34 (longer sight radius) gun points (I use a G35) but some people like the standard size (G17).

It is not a big deal and you get used to it, but for some people the longer guns actually point a little differently than the standard sized pistols.

As far as comps you can run any gun you want. If you want to game it I'd say the longer sight radius G34 with Heinie race cut sights is about as fast as you can make any stock gun.

I own both a 19 and 34. The 19 was my first Glock and I carried it for about a year until I bought the 34. It is a bit more gun to pack around but I don't have much trouble carrying it, the 19 however is much more comfortable to tote around all day.

I rarely shoot my 19 anymore, it stays in my fiancees truck now. They are both great pistols, like Ramius said, see if you can find someone who has both and try them side by side.

Also any gun shop in your area would more than likely let you try some holsters and the glocks on if you wanted to see how they would feel for carry.

Thanks for all the info on your Glocks. This will help out alot - along with checking them out at a nearby gunshop. May see if some co-workers have any too that I can shoot.

I had a 17 and just got a 34 to lay the guns side by side the difference doesn't look like a lot, but when you look down the barrel it sure is easy to see the added sight radius and why it should be easier to be on target with it.

Get the long one. I carry my G20L often IWB. It is a half in longer than the 34/35. It would be a breeze if it were a half inch shorter.