• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 34 or something else?

slivoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Chicago, IL
I joined a new gun club and plan on doing a lot more shooting more often. I currently own no 9mm pistols, but obviously I want to shoot something cheaper than my .40 and .45. I also want something with a 5 inch or longer barrel. The G34 seems to be everything i'm looking for and I can get a good price on Glocks.

I respect the opinions of the forum members and I'm curious on your thoughts on the G34 or perhaps something else.

Thanks guys.

Re: Glock 34 or something else?

Good choice. Just got one a couple months ago after owning a 17 since 1988 and a 19 for a few years. I really like the 34. I put Dawson Precision fiber optic sights, 3.5 connector and did the 25 cent trigger job and it's very nice to shoot.

Another pistol to look at is the XDm 5.25. A buddy has one and really likes it.

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to check out both the XD and M&P to see what they had. I would love to get another HK, but they are a little pricey at the moment for me.

just punching paper? or maybe some IDPA/IPSC?

either way, the G34 is a great choice. The only suggestion I'd make would be to also check out the new-ish Springfield Armory XDm 5.25" barrel.

Comes with lots of goodies, and might fit your hand better. I'm very happy with my 4.5" version, after installing a powder river trigger, fiber optic front and dawson rear sight.

If you like Glocks, go for it.

If you prefer the 1911 grip angle, I would choose the S&W M&P Pro over the XD or XDm because it has a lower bore axis.

It's hard to go wrong with any of these three.

The Glock 34 is not legal in "IPSC" Production, feersum, but it is the most common USPSA Production gun.

34 is an awesome choice. Shot the 35 and loved it. You can get a trigger that reacts just like 1911 trigger, ext mag and slide release and a contour job all for cheap.

i liked all my glocks till i bought my m&p 40 pro series 5 inch. Loaned the m&p to 3 guys i shoot idpa with and they all bought 1

If you like a trigger reset that you can feel, dont get the M&P. The G34 is the ticket for everything you mentioned. Probably the best track record also. Mine is crazy accurate. Better than any of the five 1911's that i've owned.

Just found out my buddy is ordering a dueling tree, SWEET!!
grin.gif

Are the 19 round mags hard to find for the G34?

I would go for a Glock 34 over an XD. I shot a 17 for years, then carried a 19 for work and, like Rob did, I am now considering getting a 34 for the matches. I have had no trouble finding the +2 mags.

i started with a xdm, before they had the longslide. i loved it and shot it well. i sold it and bought a g34 and have never looked back. i have never shot a mp but i like the extened beavertail. i always slicing the web of my hand on my glock. too used to my 1911. from my experience unless you can shoot a glock. you would prolly do better with the xdm for the grip angle. it messes alot of people up.

I would get the Glock 35 in 40 S&W.
Add a 9mm conversion barrel and you have the best of both worlds. Cheap shooting with the 9mm, and the ability to shoot 40 S&W (major) in USPSA style matches. I get more regular shooting out of my nine barrel but more matches with the 40 S&W barrel. The perfect combo.
That said I love my wifes XD 9mm Tactical. That gun is flat FAST to shoot and 19 rounds on board is pretty cool too.
Dave

Ive got an M&P Pro 5" 9mm and a Glock 34. The M&P Pro is decked out full apex. I got it that way so I can't comment on stock form. The reset is short but a little hard to feel. It is a sweet shooter and may turn me from the glock side to the M&P side. Gotta do some trigger work on the glock now. The G34 has served me well extremely well, however, and I ran the Warren/Sevigny sights.

Bottom line:
You can't go wrong with the M&P Pro or Glock 34.

ETA: if you want to try them both and end up near indianapolis, send me a pm.

I sometimes wish I'd got a G34 over my G35, either will serve you well, but I always recommend trying before buying

Apex makes a reset assist for around 20 bucks. They call it the RAM. Makes and audible reset and you can feel it.

Thanks for the offer Takashi, maybe if I win tickets to the superbowl we can hook up!!

I'm going to hit the gun store this weekend to confirm grip comfort. I believe my guy can get both the 3rd and 4th gen. Besides the backstraps and recoil guide rod assembly, what other differences are there? Would you guys go for the gen3 or gen4?

I have a pretty big hand if that makes any difference. But I'm definitely going to the store this weekend to manhandle them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to hit the gun store this weekend to confirm grip comfort. I believe my guy can get both the 3rd and 4th gen. Besides the backstraps and recoil guide rod assembly, what other differences are there? Would you guys go for the gen3 or gen4? </div></div>

A larger reversible magazine release as well on the Gen4. A lot of guys with tell you to get the Gen3 since they are solid. As far as the Gen4, the G34 have relatively very few issues. Mine has been 100% reliable and a tack driver. I too have large hands on often prefer the larger back strap.

The G-34 uses either 10 or 17 round magazines.

I own a G-19, G-17, G-21 and two G-34s. One has night sights and the other Dawson fiber optic.

There are a huge number of after market parts available for the Glocks. The magazines are cheap. Check out the price of the M&P or XD mags.

I would stay away from any G4 Glock. They tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and in my opinion made a mess of it.

I shoot my G-34s the vast majority of the time, but sometimes I like the compact feel of the 17. Yep, after shooting a 34, a 17 feels like a compact. The extra sight radius of the 34 really comes in handy sometimes.

I've had both the G34/35 and the XDm 5.25 and my opinion is that the XDm is a better gun for the $. It's all personal preference though and what works for me may not work for you....try them both is that's an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you like Glocks, go for it.

If you prefer the 1911 grip angle, I would choose the S&W M&P Pro over the XD or XDm because it has a lower bore axis.

The Glock 34 is not legal in "IPSC" Production, feersum, but it is the most common USPSA Production gun. </div></div>

I think they recently changed the ruling and let the 34/35 be used in Production.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spiffums</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you like Glocks, go for it.

The Glock 34 is not legal in "IPSC" Production, feersum, but it is the most common USPSA Production gun. </div></div>

Not a ruling. IPSC Production is limited to guns with barrels 127mm and shorter.

I think they recently changed the ruling and let the 34/35 be used in Production. </div></div>

http://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php

In addition:<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

13. Can we use Glock models 34 and 35 in Production Division?

Glock in their own advertising call them "long slides". They are special sporting handguns with a lighter trigger pull (3.5 lbs) and a longer barrel (135mm) out of the box. Maximum barrel length in Production Division is 127 mm (5").

The Production Division does not include special sporting models like the Glock 34 and 35, or the H&K USP Expert, or the Sig Sauer Sport II series if they differ in barrel length from the standard model (Glock 17, Sig Sauer 226, H&K USP).

"Production" does not necessarily mean that all pistols which are currently in production are legal for use in this division.</div></div>

http://www.ipsc.org/rules/rules_faq.php

I used to run a M&P Pro series in production but I found the mags to be a a hindrance when it came to reloading. I went back to a 34 and I couldn't be happier. I know several people that have had various issues with the M&P series. I handled the new XDM but just didnt care for it. Everyone has a gun that will work the best for them, try them all and see what works the best for you.

How many of you IDPA shooters use a Glock 34 for your events? What modifications and other equipment is needed in order to compete?

How many of you IDPA shooters use a Glock 34 for your events? What modifications and other equipment is needed in order to compete?

1) Sights--Dawsons are great.

2) Grip tape--Talon Grip is great.

3) Fill the cavity in the backstrap so you don't get your mags hung up during reloads--this must be made of plastic--Glockmeister is great.

4) Optional--get a Production/SSP trigger--Vanek is my favorite.

5) Install a lighter recoil spring--your preference but most folks are 11 to 15 pounds.

I added a dawson ice mag-well to mine with some Trijicon straight eights. Works well. Stay with a gen 3. Check out the +7 extensions as well.

I added a dawson ice mag-well to mine with some Trijicon straight eights. Works well. Stay with a gen 3. Check out the +7 extensions as well.

I agree. The magwell makes reloading way easier, the Straight Eights are great and Gen 3 is better than Gen 4.

Never could understand why magwells are not more common on tactical guns. I bet they will be in the future.