• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

avidflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
St Louis
Are they worth it, looking for another target / tactical gun How good are they, I have a nice 1911 and a sti 9mm 1911 just wanting to try something different.

Re: Glock 34

IMHO, its a nice tactical gun that you can abuse the hell out of and that offers a plethora of aftermarket parts/upgrades. In stock condition, in my opinion, it cannot compare to the crisp functioning found in most 1911s. I have fired quite a few stock 1911's(springfield, kimber, para, etc.) and the stock G34(3rd gen.), and I get better accuracy out of the 1911's. But that just might be a result of the fact that I like the 1911 triggers better. I know many people get a trigger job done on their glocks and the results are very impressive.
Personally, I prefer an XDm over a glock. I find it to be more ergonomically pleasing, I like the fact that it comes with a match grade barrel(one more thing I won't have to upgrade), and since I plan on having a trigger job done regardless if it was a glock or not the trigger isn't that big of a deciding factor.
My advice is to go out and shoot one... Your preferences are not my preferences. There are plenty of people who love their glocks and plenty of people who hate them. You will find people who will advocate for the M&P, the Sig, the HK, and everything else but ultimately it is YOUR gun and YOU will be the one who has to shoot it, so it only matters that YOU are happy with it. Most guns today are of high quality so the playing field is pretty level. Let the results of your own tests speak for themselves. DON'T DRINK THE COOL-AID.

Depends what you consider good. They are crazy accurate, reliable and durable. Made my choice easy...

I bought one a couple weeks ago to get started in USPSA and it shoots great for just a stock gun. I haven't had a chance to install any upgrades yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are they worth it, looking for another target / tactical gun How good are they, I have a nice 1911 and a sti 9mm 1911 just wanting to try something different. </div></div>
Their def different than a 1911 platform.I have the 34 and 35 and they are very accurate and they can take a beating.

I got a G35, I did the 25 cent trigger job, Jager striker, comp spring kit, trigger breaks clean at 2.5 pounds, and is fun to shoot, G34 is no different, I would buy a Gen 3 over a Gen 4 though.

Gen 3 Glocks flat out work, and because the Gen 4 are out there the 3 are cheaper.

I have a simple rule for all Glocks. Sights, trigger and springs.

Sights - Factory are garbage. Swap them out.
Trigger - Often polishing is enough to help.
Springs - Like most factory guns, they're WAY over sprung. Drop the recoil spring weight down a smidge and you're done.

Rich

The only truly major differences between Gen 3 and 4 are the reversible magazine catch and the texturing of the grip. Most people don't give a damn about making a Glock's grip larger, so the additional backstraps are irrelevant. The differences between recoil spring assemblies are rather trivial IMO, which means you're ultimately spending an additional $40-75 over the Gen 3 to get an additional magazine, grip texture, and mag catch. If the latter two don't matter to you, go for the Gen 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most people don't give a damn about making a Glock's grip larger, so the additional backstraps are irrelevant.</div></div>

Not quite... You need the smaller back strap to make it the same size as the Gen 3 G34. The other one will make it bigger. Going without results in a slimmer grip than the Gen 3.

He who buys a Glock 34 rarely regrets it. It is at home at an IPSC match as it is in a duty holster; in the hands of Bill Rogers or Shirly Temple, it cares not.

I have been using a 34 for about 2 years for 3 Gun and USPSA. They are a very reliable handgun, but they take some practice and work to get the most out of them. The parts listed above are a good start. I changed out the sights and dropped in a trigger job. The trigger is not as crisp as a 1911 but it is pretty good.

It took me a lot of range work to get good with it. I grew up shooting 1911 pistols and the trigger was so much different that it took me a while to get used to it. It has a hinged tirgger that I had to force myself to pull straight back to keep from throwing shots.

It is durable. I shot a match in the pouring rain. That night I started cleaning my guns and the AR bolt and the shot gun were starting to rust. I left the pistol to work on the next day. Not a speck of rust on it. I have had back to back 1000 round training days without cleaning without issue.

Glock guns are the lawn mowers of the shooting world. As long as you keep them fed and occasionally change the oil you should be OK.

Guns

Its very rare to get a 1911 that will 100% out of the box, how ever its also very, very rare to find a glock that will not run 100% everyday, all day in any weather.

Amen. That's why I keep coming back to Glock. I have to have guns that work period! I don't need another $1000+ paper weight that is oh so very temperamental.

bought the 34 paid to much but I got it from a local shop so what the hell....

For sights I might recommend the Warren-Sevigny sights, they are nice! If you mess with the trigger, think hard about something from Vanek Custom.

I have one with Warren's and it is a awesome pistol that shoots little bug holes with a factory barrel.