• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 45acp which one ?

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
Glock guys help me out
I've finally decided on a Glock in .45 for my next handgun
question is which one
help me choose between a gen 4 G21 , a gen 4G30 & a gen 3 G30sf
are there any difference's in the gen 4's & the sf's other than grip texture ?
I can only get 2 fingers on the 30
but I've heard I could use a extended mag for a 3 finger grip
will this set up bite- pinch or cause feed issues ?
other than that -I like the smaller size & the muzzle taper on the 30
any info aprreciated

Last edited:
Take a look at the new G41 Gen4. It has a slightly longer slide than the G21, but the slide is thinner and it is ~2.5oz lighter.

Gen4 frame is setup as short frame then you can add back straps to your desire. The Gen4 also has a dual recoil spring which is pretty stout and should help tame recoil from the 45 a bit. The Gen4 mag release is bigger and can be switched to the right side for lefties. It sounds like you don't want a giant 21 so I'd say don't go with it. I've shot the 30 and 29 (10mm version) and I found it pretty comfortable to shoot. No pinching. When I sold glocks I thought the 30 came from the factory with a pinky ext on the magazine. Some gun stores I know don't have any mags in the display models. But if not theyre easy to get a hold of. Either way most of your grip is in those 2 fingers so you shouldn't be limp wristing it. If so you need to change technique. I've got big banana hands and I shoot small compact 2 finger guns with no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

bkw1911 covered some of the differences pretty well. What is your intended use for the gun? My personal preference would be for a Gen4 21.

What do you plan to do with it? Big difference between a subcompact 30 and a full size 21.

it will be for edc if it pans out - size & weight are always a consideration even though where I live its cold or cool 9 months a year
Im really leaning towards the 30
mainly looking for any differences in internals - triggers-connectors ect. of gen4 & gen3

Triggers are basically the same. I had a first production g17 gen4 that I tried fitting a new connector in and it didn't fit right but it fit in my gen 3s. I've seen others now not having any issues with competition connectors in the 4s. Mine may have been a fluke but it seemed like the shorter frame held the connector at a weird angle and it would bind. At the time there weren't any gen4 specific connectors and I'm not sure if they distinguish a 3 vs 4 now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

For an EDC the 30 would be a better choice as the 21 is big. There are differences in the internals of the Gen 3 and 4 but parts are out for both so it's not an issue.

I've carried the 21 and found it too heavy for all day carry. I've got a G36 that is very nice to carry and not bad to shoot but you're limited to 7 rounds. It fits my smaller hands well also. I could never get used to the grip on any of the G30s. Felt like holding a short 2x2 wood block.

I have a G30 gen 4 that I alternate cc with my G19 gen 4. I love em both. The G30 grip feels better in my hand, but the capacity and weight are why I also use the G19. The G30 is noticeably heavier than the G19 in the pants, but not enough to be a hinderance to carrying it. I use a hybrid leather/kydex iwb holster for both.

I'd go for a G30 gen 4 in your shoes, because for some reason I can't explain, the gen 3 Glock's feel weird in my hand when comparing the two side by side with a friend's G30 gen 3, but for most people, that isn't a concern. I don't know what it is, but to me it feels like more than the texture. I also prefer the larger magazine release of the gen 4 Glocks. You can upgrade to an extended one on a gen 3, but it just sticks out more, whereas the gen 4 release is wider front to back and flat with the frame rather than recessed.

I've never had problem with my G30 gen 4. The trigger and reliability were too similar to choose a winner. I just run the stock trigger because it works and it's one less thing for a lawyer to go after in a potential incident of me ever having to use my sidearm.

Personally, I shoot with two fingers on the grip and my pinky on the bottom of the mag, not the front of the mag extension. I tried the pinky on the front, but there's just enough wiggle in the mag to pinch my, admittedly fat, pinky. Another friend experienced this when shooting it too, and he has large, but not fat, hands.

I shoot the G30 gen 4 more consistently than any pistol I've ever shot. I even sold my M&P 45 full size because it made no sense owning two 10 round .45's when one was so much smaller.

All in all, for concealed carry, or just all around use, I'd say G30 gen 4 or G30s if you don't mind the ergos of the gen 3 Glock because it has a slimmer G36 profile slide, weighs ~4oz less, and retains the magazine capacity of the standard G30.

Hopefully that is helpful.

Justin

P.S. I liked the speed of the Glock U sights versus three dot traditional sights, but wanted night sights, so I went with Ameriglo i-Dot pro's. The front is a green tritium vial with orange paint around it and the back is just a yellow tritium vial. They're just as fast and accurate as the Glock stock sights, but they are night sights. I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
if everyday carry is the main use, my vote is for the 36 gen 3 which is my favorite. Its not a gun you target shoot a lot but its there when you need it. Now if capacity at 7 rounds is not enough, think of how many rounds you have needed so far. I also carry a 19 gen 2, I like it but the 36, its a way better feel. just get the pierce grip extensions for the 36.

Another vote for the 36 if EDC is your goal. I've got the 21 as well and skipped over the 30/30s. I like the big 21 for range shooting and such but the 36 is way thinner, lighter and shorter in the grip making it a stand out candidate for EDC role in the glock .45acp lineup.

I have carried a G 21 (Gen 2) for a few years, it is a big gun, but can be concealed and carried with the right gear. I recommend kydex. I also carried a G 36 for 3 years until I got the mystery malfunction. I rebuilt the entire slide and then it worked fine. I have a G 21SF and a G 30SF, my hands are not that big, but the +1's d help with the grip on the G 30SF. I keep the G 21SF on my Brokos belt with 3 mags and 2 M4 mags and an IFAK.

Here comes the shocker......

I EDC a 45 GAP now, smaller frame, same ballistics. Go figure.

Oh and save the Internet Hostage Rescue Comments from Mommy's basement. I have plenty of ammo and reload for it easily. I also own all 3 Glocks in 45 GAP.

First off, I'm a Glock whore. Unabashedly.

Second, I love my Glock 21 Gen 4, but I'd never CC it. Too big and bulky, so unless you're a huge dude that wears baggy clothing, it's hard as hell to CC it. For working up on the mountain, I toss my 460 Rowland LW conversion on it and rock out. There's not a bear or hog on earth that can stand 13+1 rounds of 460. And if the zombies ever come, 13+1 of 45 ACP will drop every single brain-muncher out there. My only complaint is that I paid too much for mine in the godforsaken People's Republic of Maryland. That was my fault though, and at the actual, free state price point of Glocks, they are hard to beat for reliability, value, aftermarket parts, mags, and user-serviceability.

If I were going for CC, my choice would be a Glock 30, hands down. Good capacity, great power, not bulky, not very heavy. You can put the sights and trigger you want in it and have something that will run all day, every day, and be 100% dependable.

The 21 is a great gun, but unless you are a big guy, or wear really loose/bulky clothing all the time, they are so big that concealing them effectively is pretty difficult. As a duty gun, that isn't an issue, but for anyone under 175 pounds, trying to conceal a G21 is a real chore.

Glock 30. I own every iteration of gen3 Glock 45acp made. The one I'd least like to give up is my 30.

It holds 10+1, its concealable, it gives up almost no velocity compared to the 21/21C, and it is a SOFT shooting gun.

The one I'd be most willing to give up is my 36. It's too big for what it is. PM me if you want to buy it.

I ran the glock 30S for my EDC for about 7 months. The 10 round capacity and slim frame made EDC easy. I have big hands so I utilized the Scherer plus 0 grip extension and had no problems. At first it was hard to find holsters but it's been out awhile no you shouldn't run into any problems. Only thing left to change is the sights. I use ameriglo Spartans or trijicon HDs.

As a 1911 fan, as much as I didn't want to like plastic guns, I gotta say that I love my Glock .45's, and don't think you can go wrong with them. Owned a Gen 2 21 for years. Then added a 30. Then added a 36. Then sold the Gen 2 21, and replaced it with a 21SF.

The 36 is hard to beat for EDC IMHO. I carry it in a Raven Concealment Phantom, with two extra mags. It is light enough to carry without worry, and conceals very well, even under a loose fitting t-shirt. It's not hard to find reports about some 36's being problematic. I've never had any issues with mine. It has been 100% reliable, and has shot any ammo I've ran through her without problem. In addition to carry, and regular range time, I've also used the 36 in a couple training classes. With standard (non +P) ammo, it's relatively comfortable to shoot.

The 30 is one of my all time favorite handguns. Small enough for carry. Big enough to still pack good punch. Though some people seem to think they are a little thick? I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs, and have no problems concealing / carrying the 30. With 10 rounds of .45 in the mag, and 1 round in the chamber I never feel unprepared. The 30 fits my hand really well, and I find it to be very comfortable to shoot. It is also plenty accurate.

While the Gen 2 21 was just a little large for me, the 21SF is just enough thinner to fit my hand really well. I love the 21SF. You often hear the question come up... "What if you could only grab one handgun...?" Well, if I was limited to just one, it would be the 21SF for me. My Les Baer is a really awesome handgun, but she's picky about ammo, and has had a fair share of hiccups. For something that I would need to rely on to save life and limb, I'd grab the Glock. I love having 13+1 rounds of .45 at the ready. The 21SF is the handgun in my wheelhouse that I have shot the most, and I've never had a single malfunction of any kind with her. While a little large for concealed carry, I do carry it at times when I can wear a jacket of some kind. I use a Kaluban Cloak for CC, and love this holster as well. My 21 SF can also be found on my side while hunting, or in training classes. Currently, I use a Blackhawk Serpa for hunting and training carry. However, after some of the Serpa related issues have surfaced, I'm rethinking this choice, and looking into other holster options.

Good luck!