• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock cuts my hand...

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Switched back to shooting Glocks, and am committed to using them. I have run into a bit of a bump in the road though: after years of bodybuilding and powerlifting, I have built up enough grip strength to support an 800 pound deadlift. The side effect of this is that my hand muscle at the web is quite pronounced, and shooting my Glock with a standard high grip, my hand gets cut from the slide during recoil.

I am interested in hearing solutions to this problem. I have found that if it keep my thumbs down further than normal, it shifts the skin our of the way a bit. Perhaps if I practice my draw a thousand or so times while focusing on a consistent grip that keeps my hand our of the way, that will fix it. The next option will be one of the aftermarket beavertails that attach in the back strap area. The final option would be sending the frame out to get reprofiled with a beavertail built in. This seems to be the best option, but I dont have a clue on who to send it to.

Any input from anyone who has experienced this would be great!

-Bob

Re: Glock cuts my hand...

You should look at the "Grip Force Adapter". It makes the tang of the grip protude from rear a little more and maybe it can shield your hand a bit. I have one on my Glock and it is pretty comfortable for me. It is VERY easy to install (and remove it need be).

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/8_Grip+Enhancer/8022_Beavertail+Grip+for+Glock/

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2011/02/glock-beavertail.html

"Grip Force Glock Beavertail Adapter - this new product provides several benefits. It's most appreciated by shooters who have issues with "slide bite" with Glocks. This product eliminates that problem. Allows more control during recoil and provides for more positive indexing of the pistol on multiple targets. It eliminates the drawbacks associated with permanent modifications to your factory pistol. Mates completely to the back strap of the GLOCK frame, permitting the shooter's hand to conform to the frame in a more secure manner. This offers more control and allows the shooter to index the pistol on target more efficiently.

Comes in two models. The Gen 123 model is for generation 1, 2, or 3 Glock pistols, and generation 4 pistols if the Glock factory medium grip panel is installed on the gun. The Gen 4 model is for generation 4 guns in the short frame configuration, which is no backstrap on the gun at all. The Gen 123 and Gen 4 model beavertail works on Glock models 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 38 only!"

Glock%20Beavertail%202.jpg

http://www.diyguns.com/html_catalog/Book...rtail+-DVD.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDd2M-It1b4&feature=player_embedded#!

Be like Ken and point it at your head to blow down the barrel when done. This apparently helps as well.

I never would have thought it was possible but I was on a range once and saw a guy get hacked pretty good. It was a bleeder-

The instructors on the line were looking confused... like the glock doesn't have any sharp edges... how did you cut yourself?

I think the striker is the part that cuts the occasional shooter- but it's a problem the beavertail would probably fix.

Concur with those that have posted previously. The beavertail adapter should fix your issue. I have a buddy who was having the same issue and it worked for him quite well.

Thanks Leo, all, I had looked at that product this morning on Glockparts.com, looks like I'm placing an order.

Thanks,

-Bob

The extended beaver tail is one part of the solution. The other is relaxing your grip. The grip should be compared to a firm hand shake. Men, including myself have a tendency to over grip and muscle most weapon systems. I battle with this all the time. There are times I over grip a Glock 21 so much that I compress the grip on to the mag and if I don't relax during reloads I physically have to rip the mag from the well. Not good. As soon as this happens I slow down and do some dry fire.

I have sent 4 Glocks to Glockworx.com for beaver tail additions. I have big hands and they cut me without them. Glockworx does good work and fast. It's around a 2week turnaround.

I shoot uspsa regularly, and haven't ever seen a Glock shooter that wasn't bleeding before the end of a match......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot uspsa regularly, and haven't ever seen a Glock shooter that wasn't bleeding before the end of a match...... </div></div>

Interesting, I've never seen anyone get bit by a Glock. I have at least 50k rounds through various Glocks and I've never been bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot uspsa regularly, and haven't ever seen a Glock shooter that wasn't bleeding before the end of a match...... </div></div>

Interesting, I've never seen anyone get bit by a Glock. I have at least 50k rounds through various Glocks and I've never been bit. </div></div>

Same, I've carried a 19 for 5 years and never got bit, including competition.

I've shot 13,000 rounds through the G19 without being cut.

I did once wear the skin off the web of my hand though.

My hands aren't small, but then they aren't complete bear paws either- some guys have huge hands.

A friend of mine has cut himself with his Glock 23, I have shoot 1000s of rounds through my Glock 22 left and right handed and never been cut, Change the way you grip the gun or send it off to add a larger dovetail. There are plenty of Glock guys out there adding a dovetail, everyone is different.

It all comes down to how you grip the gun.. The higher the grip and the more meat in the web of your hand the more prone to getting bit... I bought a G19 and had it exactly 10rds before the web of my hand was bleeding...

I switched to a M&P that has a beavertail and have never been bit... I agree that a grip force adapter will fix the problem for anyone that gets bit..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all comes down to how you grip the gun.. The higher the grip and the more meat in the web of your hand the more prone to getting bit... I bought a G19 and had it exactly 10rds before the web of my hand was bleeding...

I switched to a M&P that has a beavertail and have never been bit... I agree that a grip force adapter will fix the problem for anyone that gets bit.. </div></div>

I have big hands, but they are fairly thin - think pianist hands. I don't have a mass of "meat" in the web between my thumb and forefinger.

That said, I "choke-up" on every pistol just as high as I can, to get the bore centerline down as much as possible. I load the web between thumb and forefinger up against the beavertail just as much as I can. Maybe I'm lucky.

Is your right hand creeping up the grip because you're pinky is hanging off the bottom? I've seen guys do that to compensate and end up getting bit. If that's the case, mag extensions. If not, the beavertail looks like a good solution.

Not to hijack, but is there value in the beavertail for Glocks other than preventing slide bite? I always liked the pronounced BT on my 1911, it would be nice to have something similar on my EDC rig. Do they print?

I feel the OP's pain.. I have very large hands as well, and when I first purchased my Glock 23 and took it out to the farm to shoot. I cut my hand 4 shots deep. I tried repositioning my hand on the grip. I talked to several members on Glock talk, and one member suggested the beavertail. Since then it has worked wonderfully.

That paired with an x grip mag sleeve allows be to fit my ring finger firmly on the grip to wear my pinky finger slightly hangs off. Not bad considering my palms from widest point are just shy of 5" wide.

could try the different backstrps on a gen4 glock. Might change the angle / hump for you.

I have a personal G21 and a city issued G23. On a 50 round qualification course I will have a bloody hand web from the G23 because I keep such a high grip on it. It was even worse when I carried a city G27. I don't have huge dick beaters, so I had a grip reduction done on my G21 to make it more comfortable to shoot and at the same time had a beaver tail put on. I love the feel of it. Robar is the only company "authorized" by my department to do grip mods, but they are ridiculously expensive. There are plenty of other no-names out there that can do it for a fraction of the cost, just use your google-fu.

The beaver tail doesn't look bad. I have only cut my left hand while training myself to use it incase something ever happens to my right. I think I had gripped it to hard when it bit me!