• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing GLock front sight?

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
So before I get rained down on about this, I went to google and searched for the front sight removal with snipershide added in. There were some threads about this, but none answered the question I had, as my front sight is not bolted on.

So I have a G23 and it has Glock night sights on it. They work fine, but I am wanting to refinisht the slide. I need to remove the front sight post. I've read several posts about just grabbing it with a pair of plyers and pulling it off. That would work I'm sure, but is there any way to remove it and be able to reuse it? If not then I guess I'll be buying another, but I would really rather not as the front sight still works fine.

Any help would be appreciated and I'm sorry if this is a repost of the same old crap. I don't never have any luck finding what I want to know through searchs. Thanks Jason

Re: GLock front sight?

Jason,
From under neath is there a hex head? If so try heating that up a little to break the loc-tite. Then buy or borrow a Glock front sight screw tool and try to carefully back it out. There is not much meat to grab onto, so try not to strip. If that does not work, put the slide in a vise and hit the side of the blade with a hammer and a punch. The screw will give. But You have just purchased a new Front sight.

I really hope someone has better advice.
Jack

nope, no hex head. It's staked in I guess you would call it. I'll see if I can get a picture and post it to help show what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure it's factory stuff.
2mgm7io.jpg

334hilt.jpg

You can punch that style out with a small punch.

You might be able to squeeze the flared portion back down and re-stake it.

I've had mixed results and when they won't tighten back up again, they get replaced with the newer screw type.
You have to have something to hold the sight tightly against the slide while re-staking while supporting the slide.

I've got some plastic white dot front sights that are takeoffs from customer guns.

You can have one if it goes bad.

In all honesty, just replace it.

Glock factory nightsights are about 60 bucks IIRC. The biggest problem is trying to get the "crimp back to where you can stick it back thru the milled hole in the slide then get it restaked without the propper tool.

Just curious... what/why are you having the slide refinished?

Because it has wear in that has worn the black oxide coating. Plus I'm looking "pimp" my glock! Well really I'm gonna change the color scheme some.