• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock FTF issues with Lights?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Just got back from spring quals and several of our guys had failure to feed issues w. Glocks equipped with rail-lights.

As we almost never have issues w. our Glocks, the number of FTF's was statistically very alarming. Several folks had multiple FTF's. All were shooting lights. Those of us w. no lights had no issues.

We shoot Glock 22's (.40), unmodified. Training ammo is Winchester Ranger FMJ.

About 6 months ago after we concentrated on some night shooting drills and exercises. After that, many of our officers started buying rail lights. This is the first time we have had an 'official quals' range day with more than half the dept shooting with a light.

Lights are almost all Streamlight brand. Various models. No NC Star or eBay airsoft junk. All are top quality lights. None are Glock brand lights, however.

The number of failures to feed was bad. And it occured across the board, including with the officers who normally shoot very well and don't have issues w. their guns.

Our two armorers both said that at a recent armorers class by Glock, there was a warning about lights. Apparently under recoil, the lights can cause minute deflection/deformation on the frames that could cause feed issues.

But these lights are so universal that if everyone has the same issues we are having, it's cause for concern.

Have any other depts. had this issue? Are there some lights that are better than others on the Glock?

Right now, we are taking all lights off until we figure out what's going on. If anyone has worked through this, we would like to hear about your solutions or your similar experiences!

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

Re: Glock FTF issues with Lights?

Pretty interesting, I've never used light on standard duty 22, but my Tac rig is G34 and I shoot it with light all the time and never had any issues whatsoever.

The 40 cal gen 3 glocks are well known to have this issue. This only happens with the 40's. The Gen 4 design catered toward the 40 cal's and supposedly fixed this issue.

I have never had this issue with my Gen 3 glock 23.

+ 1 our guys had the same issue same model with light had to change the recoil guide rod spring or something to that affect. I carry a Glock 21 in .45 acp with Streamlight TLR 2 never had an issue in 6 years with it.

The Gen4 G22's are supposed to have this problem fixed.

After reading the material on the 10-8 and seeing the same experiences echoed by folks here on SH...

I am more than a little torqued that we haven't seen any Technical Service Bulletins, warnings, notices... nothing? Not a word about this issue from manufacturers and we had to dig into Internet forums? Glock didn't send something suggesting a light issue? Streamlight (or other light companies) didn't reference this problem w. Glocks? Noone proactively suggested that there might be a problem w. the light/G22 combination?

From what we have been able to determine... we spent six months with half our Glocks unserviceable -- basically we were going onto the street backed up by officers equipped w. fancy single shot flashlights. That's just unacceptable.

Though bad on us for not testing the lights before allowing folks to carry. That won't happen again!

Very, very appreciative (as always) of the folks here on SH who helped w. this.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading the material on the 10-8 and seeing the same experiences echoed by folks here on SH...

I am more than a little torqued that we haven't seen any Technical Service Bulletins, warnings, notices... nothing? Not a word about this issue from manufacturers and we had to dig into Internet forums? Glock didn't send something suggesting a light issue? Streamlight (or other light companies) didn't reference this problem w. Glocks? Noone proactively suggested that there might be a problem w. the light/G22 combination?

From what we have been able to determine... we spent six months with half our Glocks unserviceable -- basically we were going onto the street backed up by officers equipped w. fancy single shot flashlights. That's just unacceptable.

Though bad on us for not testing the lights before allowing folks to carry. That won't happen again!

Very, very appreciative (as always) of the folks here on SH who helped w. this.

Cheers,

Sirhr</div></div>

These issues have been floating around for quite a while now. Glock never admits wrong...they do upgrades, not recalls, etc. They're not going to come forth with much of anything.

On occasion you can get a straight answer from their reps after you do your homework and corner them on it...but that's about the way it goes.

Glock is no different than S&W, Sig, etc...they all play the same game. "Nope, never heard of that before...but have you have you tried this new part we just came out with to address that problem?"

You think S&W sent out new strikers and magazine catches to every department that had older M&P's that broke strikers and dropped magazines? Nope, they deal with problems when the customers complain.

Just the way it goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issues with G22s and lights are well documented.</div></div>

Been going on for years .

I have documented over 1K rounds through my Glock 22 and TLR-1 combo without the slightest malfunction, but as soon as I put the light on my RTF G17 I had a FTF.

Interesting thread....good read.

Thanks guys.