• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock,Gen 3 or Gen 4 ?

AK10mm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2008
Kasilof,AK
www.youtube.com
I'm ready to buy another Glock,this time an M21 in 45acp.I'll be doing a 460 Rowland conversion in it,and also using it as a 45acp.

Question is,do I stick with the proven design of the Gen 3,or take a chance on the Gen 4 that has a slimmer grip profile,oversize mag release,removable backstrap,two recoil springs,and(don't laugh)three mags instead of two in the box.

Anybody here running a Gen 4 and how do you like it ?

Re: Glock,Gen 3 or Gen 4 ?

I say go for a Gen 3 RTF2 if you want and aggressive grip, but I'm a tad bias as I've had 4 RTF2's and a new Gen4 17 that I had issues with

g22.jpg

There are a few Glock 21 RTF2's on gunbroker now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311942561
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=313147074
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=309846380

Goodluck!

I'd go Gen3, just for the simple reason the recoil spring assembly/system is simpler and more easily replaced to give you the spring you need for 460.

For what it's worth:

I have a Gen3 21C. I used some Starline 45 Super brass, and loaded it to 460 Rowland specs. I had a Wolf 24lb recoil spring installed.

10gr Longshot and a 230gr XTP was over the top, and left some bad glock smiles.

12gr Longshot and a 185gr XTP was sweet. Hit the steel plates like a thunderbolt from Zeus himself.

[/quote] <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go Gen3, just for the simple reason the recoil spring assembly/system is simpler and more easily replaced to give you the spring you need for 460.

</div></div>

The Gen 4 actually has a different recoil spring? I thought functionally it was still the same gun with added ergonomic features . . . I might have to take a better look at one next time I see one sitting around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go Gen3, just for the simple reason the recoil spring assembly/system is simpler and more easily replaced to give you the spring you need for 460.

</div></div>

The Gen 4 actually has a different recoil spring? I thought functionally it was still the same gun with added ergonomic features . . . I might have to take a better look at one next time I see one sitting around. </div></div>

Yes. It has a "dual spring recoil assembly". I don't know if the wolf and IMI aftermarket guide rods/springs fit Gen 4. I don't think they do.

Also, I don't believe triggers and trigger housings are the same from gen3 to gen4. It really IS a new generation of Glock.

I switch out my triggers and sights on all my Glocks anyway, so a Gen 3 or 4 will both get the same treatment. I went with the Gen 4 because of the improved ergonomics and upgrades. So far it's been a great gun, and in usual Glock style, has had no malfunctions. I'm not sure about compatibility issues the 460 Rowland mods, but the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 issues have largely been worked out. Get the one you can find for the best price.

I have a gen 4 23. first glock that I held that didn't feel like a block of wood. Lone Wolf has guide rods for the gen 4. I put one and the trigger kit in mine. I actually like it.

Gen 4.

Still a glock, better grip. I have a gen 4 G19, 100% reliable so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bearwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go Gen3, just for the simple reason the recoil spring assembly/system is simpler and more easily replaced to give you the spring you need for 460.

</div></div>

The Gen 4 actually has a different recoil spring? I thought functionally it was still the same gun with added ergonomic features . . . I might have to take a better look at one next time I see one sitting around. </div></div>

Yes. It has a "dual spring recoil assembly". I don't know if the wolf and IMI aftermarket guide rods/springs fit Gen 4. I don't think they do.

Also, I don't believe triggers and trigger housings are the same from gen3 to gen4. It really IS a new generation of Glock. </div></div>

Turbo is correct. It is a double captured recoil spring assembly on all Glock models that are Gen 4. To be fair all the issues with the newer Gen 4 Glocks were the mid and full size 9mm models. Glock previously had the single captured recoil spring on the G17 and G19. These are the models that have experienced the most issues because the new recoil spring is too stiff to cycle most practice ammunition. I also believe there were changes made to the extractor on the Gen 4. I really like the ergonomics of the Gen 4 along with the larger mag release. That being said I've never had one single issue with my Gen 3 G19. I'll stick with my Gen 3 unless I'm purchasing a .40 cal Glock.

I never liked the finger groove of the 3rd and 4th gen, 2nd gen is all I need

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never liked the finger groove of the 3rd and 4th gen, 2nd gen is all I need </div></div>

We all have our own a tastes, don't we? I sold/replaced all my gen1 and gen2 Glocks so I could HAVE the finger grooves.

I have a Gen 3 17, Gen 4 - 19, 26 & 34. They all function without issue, it really goes to personal preference.

Personal pref. for sure, but the Gen 4 grip options Could make the diff. for you.......best to try before you buy. And if the Gen 4 Recoil spring setup is an 'issue', Glockmeister or LWD has an reinforced option.....

I have owned every generation of Glock. All of them work fine. My Gen 4's are the most accurate Glocks I have ever owned and they run with my reloads and every factory ammo I feed them. Obviously they missed the internet memo on being defective..... Go with the model that fits your hand the best. No worries.