• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns glock gen 3 to gen 4 questions

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
i tried the search, as i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i must be putting in the wrong words.

i currently have a glock 31 .357sig, my girlie sized snubby hands have a tough time gripping the pistol within my comfort zone, especially with the 357sig cal.

i'm tossing around getting a gen 4 receiver and putting the gen 3 upper on it.

anyone that has done this experience any issues with that? i looked at a few different sites, it appears there will be a gap in the front when doing so, some say there are issues, some say not, then it goes off topic without a clearcut answer.

also the recoil spring of the gen 4 seems to be the shit vs. the gen 3, with putting a gen 3 upper on a gen 4 lower, can the gen 4 recoil spring still be used?

apparantly, i can still use the gen 3 mags, as long as i don't want to move the mag release to the other side for lefty use.

thanks for any info.

Last edited:
I am unable to answer your questions, however I have a question for you. How much do you figure you are saving just buying the frame and using an existing slide? I would think just selling the Gen 3 and buying a Gen 4 would be an easier option and probably only cost 50-100 dollars. Seems to be cheap insurance to me unless you want to have a spare Gen 3 frame around for some reason.

On topic, I believe, but may be wrong that the notches in the barrels where the recoil spring seats are different between generations and you may not be able to use the Gen 4 spring assembly. Don't quote me on that as I'm going off what I saw in a gun store playing with a Gen 4 vs my Gen 3.

Back off topic, have you considering a grip reduction? Either doing it yourself or having it professionally done? It isn't terribly difficult once you get past deforming a few hundred dollar piece of plastic. Just a thought that may be even cheaper if you chose to do it yourself.

A quick search on Glocktalk indicates that a Gen 3 slide will fit an a Gen 4 frame but not vice versa. Also it looks like the steel that surrounds the guide rod on the lower portion of the muzzle is a little smaller on the Gen 3 slide. Looks a little funny. I only own Gen 4's myself so I cant try it out to confirm.

I would agree with propeine in that either a whole swap or a grip eduction would be the safest bet.

Plus those guys on Glocktalk are a little squirrely and should not be considered trustworthy.

I sold my gen 3's during the last major panic and have since replaced them with Gen 4's. the new gen 4's fit my hands better and they missed the memo on all of the functioning problems. They run great. Easiest solution is to sell you old stuff and buy the new ones.

The problems you will see is that the hole for the guide rod at the end of the slides are machined differently to accommodate the dual recoil spring on the gen 4. So, the channel on the frames is cut different too and I remember trying it with some 9mm's and I think i got the gen3 slide on a gen4 frame but just function testing it it didn't feel right so I never test fired. My advice would be not to mess with it. And no the gen 4 recoil spring will not work on the 3 frame. Dual recoil springs have a place with heavy recoil rounds like the sig, on the 9mm's tho I found them to be sluggish and unnecessary, I found myself waiting for the slide to come back so I could fire again. It'll be your personal preference after shooting both styles though

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Predator,

There are many things that WILL work, but are not advised. I can shoot a .40 through my .45- it sounds funny and the casing is toast, but it's not a good idea. Others have covered the whole RSA(recoil spring assy) and the channel in the frame.

I'd recommend as has been mentioned - sell it, and get Gen4 entire firearm.

OR - send your frame off Gen3 frame to Robar(or similar type company) that will fill in the backstrap void, shave the grip down to a size of your general liking. A few of my co-workers have done this and it turns out pretty good!

The only thing I'd "recommend" you to do is get a .40cal barrel to practice with since shooting .357 SIG is a pricey hobby. Then - all you have to do is swap out the barrel.

Again, I would *NOT* advise you to mix-n-match Gen3/Gen4 parts and pieces.

Shoot safely!

-G45

I've got a couple of Gen 4 pistols in 9mm. My hands aren't big. I really like the hand fit now.... My daughter has a baby glock, gen 4. She even likes it for her small hands. I think the recoil springs have been replaced on all the newer models. I don't think there are issues with function now. The original problems may have been do to underpowered ammo.

Last edited: