• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wfjames22

trigger yanker
Minuteman
  • May 8, 2009
    SW TN
    I think I am about to lose my Glock virginity. My only real question is, do I want to buy a fullsize (17 or 22) or a compact (19 or 23)? I might concealed carry this gun, but the main usage will be plinking, carrying it on my hip around the farm, carrying while deerhunting, etc.

I realize that the compacts have about a half inch shorter grip and half inch shorter barrel which may help with regards to concealed carry, but in my experience thickness accounts for much more in that arena and they are the same thickness.

I own quite a few different pistols (Sigs/HKs/Berettas/1911), so I am not looking for anyone to suggest something like that. I would appreciate any opinions/experiences that you would like to share about why you (me) would choose a fullsize Glock over a compact or vice versa.

Thanks!

Re: Glock question

Glock 23 and done. 13 rds in the mag, 1 in the pipe.
    The merits of the .40 will be realized if you need to dispatch anything around the farm or while hunting.
    As far as my experience with mine. Fits my hand the best of any gun I have ever held (I have several Glocks [full size and sub-compact]), including various HK's, Beretta's, revolvers, etc. It has NEVER had a jam or fail to fire, and after several thousand rounds through the factory barrel...it still shoots baseball size 27 round groups at 10 yards.

You really need to fondle each of them in your fun store before you decide...not the type of round it fires. They both have a very different feel...even though the look similar. The Glock 19 is very popular because it's a "really good for all-around requirements" for a lot of shooters do all requests. I have small hands and the 19 feels great. The 17...too big. Add the "snappy" recoil of a .40 and up in a lightweight sidearm and another dimension is added.

Cost effectiveness of the 9mm vs. anything else is an instant known. You'll shoot the 9 more often. Practice will equal better shot placement. The massive .22LR kills and injures more people in the US than any other caliber. Yup, statistically there are probably more weapons out there chambered in it but...the end result is .40 grains of lead doing plenty of damage.

Handle them, or better shoot them, before you buy.

The 19 or 23 is the easy answer here. These duty size pistols are easy to shoot well, sit on the hip comfortably, and will conceal well too if you decide to go that route.

Honestly, there is no reason in the world to buy a full length glock in 9mm or 40...unless you're going to play the IPSC/USPSA/IDPA games.

Also, the 19 will also take 17 mags, and the 23 will take 22 mags, so you can have higher capacity backup mags if you choose. Conversely, the 17 will NOT take 19 mags, nor will the 23 take 22 mags.

Another thought (hehe) is to get a 26 or 27. Many people (myself included), find the little Glocks very accurate and very easy to shoot, and they only make carrying and concealing more easy. Again, they take either of their big brothers' mags.... The 26 will take the 19 and the 17 mags.

Still another point if you are questioning caliber: Get the 40, and buy a $100 lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it (or even a 357sig barrel). You can NOT put a 40 (or 357) conversion barrel into a 9mm.

Just my $0.10

I agree with you. The thickness is what's hard to conceal. The grip is too, but not if you have the gun canted correctly.

I've owned compact, subcompact & full size Glocks & I've never had a problem concealing any of them. I carry a 21 every day with no problems.

As far as choosing one I'd go hold the models you're interested in & see what feels right.

Since they're the same thickness the only decision you'll have to make is full size/more ammo, compact/less ammo.

Welcome to the Dark Side! Glocks are the best!

For your needs, the compact Glock fits the bill. Nice overall size. Still big enough to shoot a bunch comfortably and still small enough to conceal if needed.

If you are going to CCW, definitely go with the compact. I agree with getting the 23 because it's cheap and easy to get a 9mm conversion

I own a 17 and a 23. The 23 still has a 4" barrel, fits all your fingers (I have pretty big hands being 6'4") yet is quite a bit better for CC. It's the best all-around. After owning both sizes, if I could only have one it would be a 19/23 no questions asked. LOVE my gen 3 g23! Doesn't kick bad for a .40 being slightly smaller. I'd say my XD40 kicks just the same...

I was always under the impression, and from my experience it is, that the frame is the same size in the 19/23 as is the 18/22. With that being said, assuming it is, then the difference in caliber is negligent in the way it fits the hand. I would do the 23 and if you want a 9 get a conversion kit.....boom essentially 2 guns in 1. For carry I can conceal a g22 or 1911 (full-size) with no problems. Using an IWB holder is key there. I agree with getting hands on, but I don't think you'll feel a difference in them. On the plus side you can have a beaver tail done or a grip mod and make if fit better, depending on whether you need to lengthen or shorten the grip diameter. You can buy an add on that attaches to the back of the grip or you'll have to have somebody reduce the grip. I don't think you'll be disappointed though. Just remember that there will be some adjusting on your part as with any unfamiliar firearm.

Only thing to "adjust to" with a Glock is an awesome reset, zero maintenance, and tipping the front end down a little.

FS and if you want a shorter grip later - cut it.

DVC Guns is doing these 17 -> 19 style conversions. Great for carry, shorter grip for greater concealability, full length for a longer sight radius. Esp if you carry IWB, this is the best of all worlds.

Good luck

If you conceal carry Sig/Berettas/1911, you won't have any issues with a glock. If it's a carry around gun, go with the bigger frame 17/22, better sight radius.

Thanks for all the info guys. As you can see in the pic below I decided to get the Gen 4 19 to start off with. As soon as I get out of this deerstand I'm going to run a couple hundred rounds through it.

mhxclk.jpg

Good decision. I have had my glock for about 4 months now and have put 700+ rounds down the tube. I am still waiting for my first malfunction..

Good luck hunting and shoot straight,
    Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I am about to lose my Glock virginity. My only real question is, do I want to buy a fullsize (17 or 22) or a compact (19 or 23)? I might concealed carry this gun, but the main usage will be plinking, carrying it on my hip around the farm, carrying while deerhunting, etc.

I realize that the compacts have about a half inch shorter grip and half inch shorter barrel which may help with regards to concealed carry, but in my experience thickness accounts for much more in that arena and they are the same thickness.

I own quite a few different pistols (Sigs/HKs/Berettas/1911), so I am not looking for anyone to suggest something like that. I would appreciate any opinions/experiences that you would like to share about why you (me) would choose a fullsize Glock over a compact or vice versa.

Thanks! </div></div>

If you are thinking about carrying it go with the 19 or 23. 9mm vs 40S&W, well that will start an argument. Which ever you are more comfortable with. The Glock 23 works for me.

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DEzXbBJws

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4

The Glock 19 is the most sold pistol that Glock makes. That is also the most common Glock in the military. That being said the 23 is the same size but in .40 cal. I would go with a 19/23 if I was you depending on what caliber you prefer. I can conceal mine easily and I am not a fat guy. Reliable cheap to maintain and easily customized if there is something you do not like about it.

Chuck

Get a 19 or 23. If you decide you need a longer grip then get some +2 extensions. Then if you decide you want a longer barrel then get a Lonewolf L or XL upgrade. Then Its like having two pistols in ONE!

If you have big hands the mid-size glocks will feel awful. I have giant ape mitts, and I can do a sub-compact, or a full-size, but I can't stand the G19/23/etc. I know a bunch of people love them, but I'd recommend you try different sizes and see what fits your hand.

I have the whole family of 9mm 17, 19, and 26. I only buy one size mag the 17. the 17 mags fit in the 19 and 26, so the first mag in the 19 is the original size and all the back ups are full size 17 rounders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the whole family of 9mm 17, 19, and 26. I only buy one size mag the 17. the 17 mags fit in the 19 and 26, so the first mag in the 19 is the original size and all the back ups are full size 17 rounders. </div></div>

No 34?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the whole family of 9mm 17, 19, and 26. I only buy one size mag the 17. the 17 mags fit in the 19 and 26, so the first mag in the 19 is the original size and all the back ups are full size 17 rounders. </div></div>

No 34? </div></div>
    damn I need to buy another one now, oh yeah and the wife has her own 19

get a 23 then u can shoot 40sw or 9mm or 357sig. Get SS guide rod and a slightly heavier flat spring by ISMI like 19lb vs factory spec.

I own a G17, but I would recommend the 19. Don't get me wrong, I like the full frame, but the accuracy difference between the compact and full frame is neglegeable at best. If you want a full size grip or more ammo in the gun for carrying around or hunting, put G17 Mags in it.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

Bowie Tactical is doing Grip reductions, for those that like having a full sight radius of a 17 and like the grip of a 19 for concealed carry, you can now do that. I have heard of guys doing this, but have not been able to see it up close. There are pics on the website.

When I was a uniformed police officer - it was a Glock 23 with me 24/7! My co-workers were buying Glock 22's and then G27's for off-duty. My 23 was perfect for both - and I shot it better that they shot their little 27 also!

George P.