• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock Slide Bite - How to fix? Grip ? Gear ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I'm shooting more and more pistol lately and I'm shooting Glocks pretty much exclusively. I'm shooting mostly Gen3s just simply because that's what I own. 17's & 19's.

I'm right handed and get slide bite right on my knuckle. Would a beavertail grip really help me out? What are you guys doing for that ?

Does my grip on the pistol come into play here? I feel like I'm relatively well trained. I'm right handed, so my left hand thumb is on the frame of the pistol and my right hand thumb wraps over top.

Just curious what others are doing.

I have added a beavertail to my non gen 4 Glocks. Once I learned how to grip the pistol correctly I would get cut by an unmodified Glock now with the modification it is fine.

The Glock slide bite is what sent me down the path of 1911 and 2011.

Which one did you add? The grip force adapter? I just bought a Gen5 to try the whole no finger grooves and factory backstrap with a beavertail. Just to see if that's the magic sauce.

Maybe you have larger hands than I (I wear S to M Mechanix/latex gloves), but I’ve had an issue with my Glock 26 gen 4. No matter what backstrap I use, though I now use no backstaps. Always had a smooth recoil. Perhaps you’ve got more meat on the back of your hand though.

I have some meaty paws & sausage link fingers! Not sure what it maps to on the Mechanix side, but I wear XL SKD Pig gloves.

I'm shooting more and more pistol lately and I'm shooting Glocks pretty much exclusively. I'm shooting mostly Gen3s just simply because that's what I own. 17's & 19's.

I'm right handed and get slide bite right on my knuckle. Would a beavertail grip really help me out? What are you guys doing for that ?

Does my grip on the pistol come into play here? I feel like I'm relatively well trained. I'm right handed, so my left hand thumb is on the frame of the pistol and my right hand thumb wraps over top.

Just curious what others are doing.

I’d like to see a pick of how you grip your pistol.

There is a beaver tail for Gen 3 and Gen 4 glocks that should fix the issue. Glock store sells them. Your grip looks good. Just making sure before giving advise. ??

Appreciate the feedback and taking the time to look at my pitiful pictures.

Is this the guy? https://www.glockstore.com/Beaver-Tail-Grip-Adapter?quantity=1&custcol7=91&custcol8=3

Maybe I'm paranoid, but this seems ripe for failure. The only place I can find that does any type of molding into the frame itself is Robar. They haven't returned my email asking about it yet.

I'll order one and check it out. My concern may be unwarranted. Seems flimsy. I see some folks are expoy gluing that thing on. Might be an option.

Appreciate the feedback!

Off topic: What is the measure that appears to have a belt & motor attached?

Are you sure it's the slide that is actually cutting your hand? I wear large/ x large mechanics gloves and on my 17/22 the knuckle on my thumb gets a cut/ abrasion after ive shot a few rounds from having a really high grip and squeezing the gun hard. The knuckle on my thumb will start bleeding like it was cut from the slide but it's actually from the polymer beaver tail on my gen 3.

I added the beaver tail grip to my duty g22. I had a lot of range days with slide bite to the web of my thumb due to hig( grip and large hands. Wearing search gloves often induced a failure to go into battery due to the fabric gettin* caugh5 in the slide as well. Beaver tail has been working so far.

If you don't like the aftermarket beavertails or the OEM beavertails (because they don't just add a beavertail, they make the damn grip larger!)
I would suggest trying to add a beavertail via Sugru.

Take the slide off, mold it in the to length you need, and smooth it out. Leave it to try for a day or two, and then play around with it. If you like it, keep using the Sugru or get a professionally done beavertail from Robar or Bowie Tactical. (You can even do it yourself if you are skilled.)

I did the sugru way for a bit, and after noticing that without the medium beavertail grip adaptor my front sight would be high after the draw, I just ripped the sugru off and put the adaptor on.

1+ for the Grip Force Adapters.....use them on all of my Glocks except 43, don't make one.
A few examples G23, G19, G17.

IMG_0083 copy.JPG
IMG_0077 copy.JPG
IMG_2582 copy.JPG
IMG_7382 copy 2.JPG

I have a Glock 27 and a 22. The Glock 27 never gives me an issue, but the much larger 22 does. I can't explain why. I was getting cuts on the web of my hand. After a number of times, I really looked at the gun. The serrations on the slide are very sharp, especially where they run off the bottom of the slide (they are like a serrated knife), and they had blood and skin on them. I got my Dremel tool and just ground the bottom of the rail into a nice radius, and feathered out the bottom of the serrations so it felt comfortable. I had some gun black and that colored the radiused edge nicely. Have not had a problem since.

First Aid tape does the trick for me whenever im gonna burn off a case.

dvdt,

I strongly suspect (from your pics) that since you're wrapping your strong hand around your weak hand, the strong hand is higher than it should be. This would be the cause of your bite! Sam's video of Bob Vogel a few posts up shows a very different grip. His strong hand thumb is on the gun, not on the other hand. It's subtle, but I think that might fix your problem.

I shoot a few different platforms and never get bit. Just for fun I mimicked your grip and compared it to my own (which is more like Vogel's), and I'm pretty sure this will solve your problem. When I use your grip it inadvertently raises my strong hand up into the path of the slide.

I thank you for posting this because I've tried to help a few folks over the years with this problem. While I could show them the "right" way to hold the handgun and not get bit, I never knew what the original issue was. I'll be looking for this now!

Reactions: Sam Dunham
Thank you for saying that bluegrasspicker, I did not want to be offensive or take a chance of it so I posted the video. I picked up on the OP's right hand over his weak side thumb. Note that Vogel also mentioned "Meteor hands" and spoke of Glock mods.

I’ve found the polymer 80 frames to be good products that address a lot of the Glock frame “issues”. The beaver tail adapter pieces made the grip too large for my tastes. But I have small hands.

I have small little carney hands so I’ve never gotten bit by one of my Glocks. I do shoot a lot of 1911s though so maybe my grip is off on the Glock, or maybe it’s just the carney hands.

I shot a Glock gen 4 with the factory beavertail for work and when I transitioned back to a gen 3 19 I had a tendency to get bit on the meaty part between my thumb and index finger. It took a couple range sessions to get my grip changed without chocking too far down on the grip.