• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Go-bag list/ideas

NorthWinds

Private
Minuteman
I've decided I need a go bag. What are some suggestions for what you would put in it and why? Stuff I'd take in any case are a flashlight, chem-lights, Leatherman, food/water purification, lighter, ect. Just trying to get a brainstormed list so I don't potentially miss something important. Thanks.

Oh, and if there's a specific brand/model pack you like and would recommend and why. I've gone through three smaller assault style packs in the last five years, still haven't found one that I liked/can stand up to wear and tear.

I have a couple. One that stays in the car all the time and one that hangs in the garage.

The car bag is a Camelbak Mule (military). I have water purification tablets and filter, Leatherman, fire starter & lighter, tinder, a snack bar, emergency blanket, flashlight w/ extra battery, 550 cord, hand sanitizer, first aid kit, and maybe a couple other doodads.

The big bag is more or less the same but made from a Camelbak BFM, but with a few water bottles, food, an additional knife, eating utensils, a metal water container, a backpacking stove w/ fuel, more fire starting stuff, some warm socks, gloves, and beanie... Maybe a few other things.

Hopefully it gives you some ideas.

I have one for each vehicle. My best advice is to think it through and then tailor it to where you live and what you want to accomplish with it. Then try it out. They are a work in progress for many of us.

I think the term go bag is too vague, what needs does will it address? And what duration of time will it address? Will it go everywhere with you? Stay in the car? Stay at home?

These are very personal and your AO dictates the contents. Level of prep and experience also. In my teachings there is no right or wrong answer or kit as long as you have a use or argument for that piece of kit. Absolutely give it some thought to what you want to it to accomplish for you. Make a list of everything you think you might need. Then go through the list item by item. You will find somethings are just not useful. Look for kit that can double in its use.

Blast Match for fire starter. But I still have Bic lighters in pockets and pouches.

Integral Designs SilShelter. Multiple uses.

Reflective bivy bag.

Close cell foam pad(s) many uses.

I prefer head lamp over a flashlight.

Candles add light and heat to a shelter. Use the flame for many uses. Plus you can turn them off. In my book, way better than a chem light.

Folding bow saw, I like Sven or take a piece of chain saw chain, use the holes in the links at each end to loop P cord handles, wrap it in a small flat tin can. Great saw that takes up little room, not too heavy but can saw real quick. Useful in a damaged house to help clear it and evac persons and of course other use.

Contractors heavy duty trash bags, a few of them. Shelter, solar still, quite a few uses.

Metal cup with handles to boil water. ti, alum, steel needs handles for proper use and take a hot fire.

Mountain money in a zip lock bag. I take a whole roll or two minus the tube.

Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap with a chamois towel

Kit like traps and snares to me, not very useful for those who have tried to actually snare or trap food source.

Sharpie to make notes or mark areas.

In BC I would have 100% DEET and maybe a Thermacell

I like a fixed blade knife or two over folder.

A compass with maps, yes and no. In a city not really needed as you should know the area, bug out to the hills, then yes. Learn basic land nav. Also learn natural nav landmarks, city or in the hills.

A trekking pole is often over looked. On uneven ground in a city and the hills, this simple kit does wonders on the body plus have many other uses for shelter, first aid, etc

Sun glasses, of course these can be made but store bought just better to protect the eyes.

Kit that many over look is broad spectrum oral antibiotic.

Anti diarrhea; two schools of thought; stop is quickly and completely to guard against dehydration leaving virus in the body or slow its process to allow the body to expel some of the virus but take a chance for dehydration. I lean to a slow process.

Allergy meds like Benadryl / EpiPen (epinephrine)

Take at least a basic first aid course. Wilderness First Responder is preferred in my book. Include a good first aid book.

Good luck

I have one for each vehicle. My best advice is to think it through and then tailor it to where you live and what you want to accomplish with it. Then try it out. They are a work in progress for many of us.
Solid advice here. Which setup is "best" will come down to your individual needs, applications, location, level of expertise, time of year, etc. I do think that it is wise to start with the basics, which have been mentioned already, such as hydration, fire starting ability, basic first aid, and food. We put together some setups that address different scenarios, and while they are pretty thorough, they definitely are not complete until you add/customize items based on your individual needs. Check out the link below:

Delta Outdoorsman (Powered by CubeCart)

Best of luck!
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

There is a nice book, "Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag."

The author lists a lot of specific brands and models for many things.

I don't agree with everything he says or recommends, but it is a good starting point.

I use the Camelback Mule as well. They are tough and perfect for one person. The civilian pack is approx $80-100 but you can find some Army surplus one pretty cheap. New bladders and tubes can be had at optics planet. The good thing is you can use the bag and gear for day hunt trips, so the gear doesn't just sit there unused. While on your hunt or hike try out your fire starter or other survival stuff and add/subtract as required.

I have the following:
Glock 19 with 7 mags and Thompson machine posieden suppressor.
Box of 9mm shot shells
Shemagh
TP
Anti bacterial wet wipes
Hand sanitized
Morphine,
Oxycodone
Tramadol
Turnaqit
IFAK
Carabiners
Pencil
Sharpie
5 cans of Copenhagen
Vitamins
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Shower cap
Super glue
P-51 can opener
Rubber gloves
Smoke grenade
Road flare
$200
Anti diarreha pills
2 liters of water
Water filter bottle
Multi tool (sog)
Bench made folder
Gerber ASEK
200' 550 chord
Space blanket
Trioxide bars
Matches
Lighter
Magnesium and flint
Zip ties
Chemical lights
Various flash lights
Soap
Compass
Cammies
Wool socks
Extra gauze
3 cans of tuna, small bag of dried rice
Space blanket
A few gallon freezer bags
Havalon and 12 blades
And a bunch more stuff, this was just from memory. It ALL fits in a camelback assault pack and i never go anywhere, even 2 miles from home without it.

Last edited:
When I travel with my wife and kids I always make sure I have extra clothes and necessities for them as well as a large stroller to push them in as the kids are all under 6. There is a family bag in the car with water and purifier, wool blanket, kids and wife's clothes, tampons, diapers, baby food and the like. She also keeps her AR and mag pouches in there.

In the summer, I put tennis shoes in the car in case we have to walk, because she will be wearing flippety flops, in the wenter it is smart wool and gore-Tex.

Keep in mind, you will most likely get hounded on this site for thinking ahead.

My kit is much the same as Delta4-3.
My experience in the field has added comfort items.
Insect repellent - insects can drive you crazy
Toilet paper
Waterproof poncho
Hard Candy
151% rum
I pack everything in ziplock bags so it stays dry.
I also have a machete because brush here can be very thick.

That's extremely helpful. 45.308, I'll agree to disagree on snare wire, but in a short term survival situation I can see how it wouldn't be so useful. I can and have trapped bunnies, but at a 10:1 snare:animal ratio, it takes TIME. The intention of this is a true SHTF 72 hr bag (I can stretch that MUCH longer if needed as I am reasonably well trained) if I end up moving to an urban center in the next couple years. I'll definitely look into getting the military version of the CamelBak Mule. Good call on the flares/zip-ties and bug dope (A true must up here). If I can't find one would you guys have any alternate suggestions? Maxpedition, Condor, ect. I don't have the opportunity to eyeball many of these to determine real-world size.

don't forget the astroglide, many lubricating uses. Also a fleshlight, it duals as a holder for matches and candles and then transforms into your boonie bitch

I have a couple. One that stays in the car all the time and one that hangs in the garage.

The car bag is a Camelbak Mule (military). I have water purification tablets and filter, Leatherman, fire starter & lighter, tinder, a snack bar, emergency blanket, flashlight w/ extra battery, 550 cord, hand sanitizer, first aid kit, and maybe a couple other doodads.

I have the Mule in my car too. About the same kit + crow bar, .45, e tool, 6 feet of tubing, and 6' by 6' plastic sheet for solar still.

That's extremely helpful. 45.308, I'll agree to disagree on snare wire, but in a short term survival situation I can see how it wouldn't be so useful. I can and have trapped bunnies, but at a 10:1 snare:animal ratio, it takes TIME. The intention of this is a true SHTF 72 hr bag (I can stretch that MUCH longer if needed as I am reasonably well trained) if I end up moving to an urban center in the next couple years. I'll definitely look into getting the military version of the CamelBak Mule. Good call on the flares/zip-ties and bug dope (A true must up here). If I can't find one would you guys have any alternate suggestions? Maxpedition, Condor, ect. I don't have the opportunity to eyeball many of these to determine real-world size.

I just bought my dad a condor pack for fathers day, and the quality isas good or better than my camelback. I have some of their mag pouches and the build quality blows me away.

Prep and knowledge are the key to survival and helping someone put together a bag. I still say and teach that there is no right or wrong kit, these are very personal, and skill and AO dictate what is packed. I do not know everything and will never claim that I do. Even disagreement about the order of shelter, fire, water. Its a good training lesson to hand out a list of kit and have students prioritize them taking only 10 out of the 20 given on the list, then debate it.

Snaring or trapping: if you know how, what to look for, etc fine but many just want to or say include a snare/trap and have no idea how to actually go about snaring animals. In my book, snare may be more about long term survival but who is to say a short experience cannot turn into an long ordeal. Most bags have 72 hours of food, then what.

Plus most bug outs come from urban dwellers. Bush rats really do not need much of a go bag because they are less effected and have the skill set to survive already with kit in hand. Its hard to comprehend 1000 Anchortownites or Squarebankites leaving home with a bug out into the bush to survive, and this goes for any city USA.

I taught alpine travel mostly with the philosophy of light is right, lighter is righter and lightest in bestest. When I went to motel rooms or class room depending on whom, fit the kit to the pack not the pack to the kit. Find a good pack that fits you well with the bells and whistles you prefer, go down a size and then make your kit fit. Most users go find a backpack they like or is highly recommended by whomever, size does not matter, then get it home and fill it up. I prefer a true klettersak, a single main body with a single top pocket over the main body. The Greg Lowe clamshell design (assault packs) of the late 70s are all the rage with tact guys for whatever reason but I do not like the design for backcountry travel even though I have many. I am not a zipper lover or buckle lover, seen them fail in the backcountry.

Insect repellent - insects can drive you crazy
Hard Candy

Absolutely. flying bugs can drive someone insane real quick. 100 DEET and/or a Thermacell. My wife picked my up a Thermalcell when they first came to market. Yep, thought they were a sales gimmick. First time using one, strong believer now.

Hard candy, good one I forgot to list. Been taking hard candy on backcountry trips for a long time.

Also I like rocket fuel: chocolate covered coffee beans.

I have a 6 gallon BPA free container of water in my care, a 5 gallon bucket of Mountain House meals, two different stoves, propane, multiple knives, anchor points, tow rope, come along, med pack, machete, compass, blankets, ammo, multi-tool, and pots for boiling water.

Prep and knowledge are the key to survival and helping someone put together a bag. I still say and teach that there is no right or wrong kit, these are very personal, and skill and AO dictate what is packed. I do not know everything and will never claim that I do. Even disagreement about the order of shelter, fire, water. Its a good training lesson to hand out a list of kit and have students prioritize them taking only 10 out of the 20 given on the list, then debate it.

Snaring or trapping: if you know how, what to look for, etc fine but many just want to or say include a snare/trap and have no idea how to actually go about snaring animals. In my book, snare may be more about long term survival but who is to say a short experience cannot turn into an long ordeal. Most bags have 72 hours of food, then what.

Plus most bug outs come from urban dwellers. Bush rats really do not need much of a go bag because they are less effected and have the skill set to survive already with kit in hand. Its hard to comprehend 1000 Anchortownites or Squarebankites leaving home with a bug out into the bush to survive, and this goes for any city USA.

I taught alpine travel mostly with the philosophy of light is right, lighter is righter and lightest in bestest. When I went to motel rooms or class room depending on whom, fit the kit to the pack not the pack to the kit. Find a good pack that fits you well with the bells and whistles you prefer, go down a size and then make your kit fit. Most users go find a backpack they like or is highly recommended by whomever, size does not matter, then get it home and fill it up. I prefer a true klettersak, a single main body with a single top pocket over the main body. The Greg Lowe clamshell design (assault packs) of the late 70s are all the rage with tact guys for whatever reason but I do not like the design for backcountry travel even though I have many. I am not a zipper lover or buckle lover, seen them fail in the backcountry.

Absolutely. flying bugs can drive someone insane real quick. 100 DEET and/or a Thermacell. My wife picked my up a Thermalcell when they first came to market. Yep, thought they were a sales gimmick. First time using one, strong believer now.

Hard candy, good one I forgot to list. Been taking hard candy on backcountry trips for a long time.

Also I like rocket fuel: chocolate covered coffee beans.

As always, GREAT STUFF. I absolutely love reading your entries, solid advice every time that is based on EXPERIENCE, not internet "wisdom". Thanks for continuing to share when these posts come up.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. 45, your replies have been insightful and helpful. I thought about my last hike and the fact I fit all the kit I would have needed for 2 nights in my pockets. I always have a candle, but I find chem-lights convenient when on the move or you don't want/need heat. A buddy and I were out hiking and had to bug out because this bear kept coming around in the dark. Cracked a couple glow-sticks so we could could keep track of each other in the dark. I've built quite a few survival kits and own much of the kit already, and have got the skills to be comfortable using all of it in the field. I just wasn't sure if there was any particular urban specific kit I may be missing. It's not surviving in the woods I'm worried about.
light is right, lighter is righter and lightest in bestest
I'm going to remember this. Packing light is something that is taking me a good long while to learn. I absolutely agree with you about pack design. I think the idea is that to can get to your gear a little easier. For multi-day hikes I've got a Tatonka external frame identical to one my uncle has that he bought 25 years ago, and is still going strong. They make some solid packs.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. 45, your replies have been insightful and helpful. I thought about my last hike and the fact I fit all the kit I would have needed for 2 nights in my pockets. I always have a candle, but I find chem-lights convenient when on the move or you don't want/need heat. A buddy and I were out hiking and had to bug out because this bear kept coming around in the dark. Cracked a couple glow-sticks so we could could keep track of each other in the dark. I've built quite a few survival kits and own much of the kit already, and have got the skills to be comfortable using all of it in the field. I just wasn't sure if there was any particular urban specific kit I may be missing. It's not surviving in the woods I'm worried about. I'm going to remember this. Packing light is something that is taking me a good long while to learn. I absolutely agree with you about pack design. I think the idea is that to can get to your gear a little easier. For multi-day hikes I've got a Tatonka external frame identical to one my uncle has that he bought 25 years ago, and is still going strong. They make some solid packs.

Packing light took me years to perfect but in all reality, never did perfect it. Very fluid idea to keep changing. Lightest I ever remember going was a 3 day 50 miler over, through the Chugach guiding 3 charges (clients) with 12.5 pounds total weight that included the weight of my pack, backpack was my bivy sack. I have a WildThings Technora Andinista stitched up with a long sleeve that comes to my neck to double as a bivy shelter. Best pack ever designed in my experience.

I think an urban kit most over looked is a saw. Look at natural disasters, we think of a saw as cutting wood for a fire or shelter and nothing else. If you have a bow saw or piece of chain saw chain to use as a saw, can be real helpful both urban and backcountry. Never had much use for an ax, saw is much more efficient.

Another thing about a go bag:
Train with it. A lot. Treat it like a weapon. I wear it when I go through my run and gun course on the farm, and do scenario based runs. Sometimes I train to treat a casualty at the far end of the course, or treat myself for trauma partway through, or PUC someone.....the list goes on. There is a group of 5 of us that do this regularly.
I know it sounds stupid, but it gives us the knowledge we need to pack it with the right gear, and put said gear in the most effective spot. It also aids in physical conditioning. The benefits are limitless. Of course the most important one is that it looks like you're bag was on the front line in about a month, so everyone will think you're cool.

Another thing about a go bag:
Train with it. A lot . . . Of course the most important one is that it looks like you're bag was on the front line in about a month, so everyone will think you're cool.

I find a lot of people over pack. The bag should have a purpose and be set up for that purpose. There are general items that should be in most bags but if you are in Alaska you are going to have to have certain items that is not necessary when you are in Florida.

Keep it low profile.

I have not figured out how to keep things from melting in the Texas heat :p

I second, or third by now, training with your pack. I used to put my girl down for a nap and hit the 2 acre block of woods on my property. I had a wireless baby monitor and could see the house a whole 30 yards away. I would make a fire first, then work a shelter that took a few trips to build, and gather water to boil and filter. Also, I practiced setting snares. I got pretty good at setting spring loaded snares and was wanting to catch a deer. Instead I caught an idiot by mistake and after almost losing my arm decided I would eat bunnies. I learned a lot of shit the 3 or 4 hours a week I was down there. Don't think you need to plan a weekend long trip to try out your kit. Just around in the yard is the best place to start.

I keep a frost mora in every bag I have. They are great knives and cheap enough if they end up lost in the woods it's no big deal.