• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going from 308 to 6.5 caliber

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey guys,

I'm currently running a GAP 308 with a lawton 7000 action. I'm using 155 scenars which have proven to work very well. I have 2400 rounds out of this one and had another 4000 or so out of another rifle that I no longer own. I'm considering changing to a 6.5 caliber but need some direction. I would like the 260 rem, or 6.5-47 lapua but am not familiar with how much I would gain from my current configuration.

I have also been following the 6.5 SAUM that George and a few others are running as well. So, those of you that have used the 308 with 155 scenars, or any load at that, how much is gained from one of the above mentioned calibers? I have my 338 Lapua to run wayyy out there, just want something better for 600-1200 or so than my 308.

Also, would you sell the complete barrelled action and get a Templar action with the new caliber choice, or just run the Lawton 7000 and rebarrel from there.

Thanks for any direction as I can't make up my mind :)

Alan

My 168gr .308 Hornady A-max really start dropping fast at 500 as compared to my 140 gr 6.5C Hornady A-max.

.308 drop from 200y @ 500 - 50.67"
6.5CM drop from 200y @ 500 - 42.64"

500 is as far as I've been, but my ballistic calc says:

@800 y
308 - 202.05"
6.5C - 161.18"

I'm also interested in this topic but the drop really means nothing to me. I can get dead nuts accurate ranges and my loads on my 308 are very consistent. How the wind performance differs is where I get interested. Always like it when specific bullets velocities and data are quoted though so thanks much for that garandman.

~Brett

I'm also interested in this topic but the drop really means nothing to me. I can get dead nuts accurate ranges and my loads on my 308 are very consistent.
~Brett

My .308 is a semi - just as a ccurate as any bolt fun. So I love my 308.

But remember -

Bullett drop is not just drop in altitude, where you'll run out of scope elevation adjustment.

Its also drop in speed, which means you are getting closer faster to going below subsonic, where things get really dicey.

My .308 is a semi - just as a ccurate as any bolt fun. So I love my 308.

But remember -

Bullett drop is not just drop in altitude, where you'll run out of scope elevation adjustment.

Its also drop in speed, which means you are getting closer faster to going below subsonic, where things get really dicey.

I use 175SMKs which allow me to pass through the sonic barrier without too much worry. I pass through to subsonic just past 1K with my 20" 308. However in the same vein as what you're saying the getting closer faster is the direct correlation to the wind that I'd mentioned being mainly concerned with.

~Brett

I personally switched to a 260 from 308 and it is much easier to hit targets with my 260.

Knowing the distance and wind on your personal range is one thing, but if you go to any matches or unknown ranges you are hurting yourself shooting a 308 (unless it is a 308 only match). Think of it this way the faster/flatter/better bc bullets give you a more generous acceptable error with range and wind calls. The matches I have shot, the targets are all the same size and distance for 308 shooters and hotrod 6.5 or 6mm shooters. So why cripple yourself unnecessarily.

I would recommend reading this article The Case for .260 Remington: A Better Cartridge For Practical Long-Range Shooting I went to .260 Rem from .308 and in field tactical matches it is a noticeable improvement. I am holding edge of steel plate at 600 yard + distances instead of completely off the plate and hoping I got the wind right. There are also articles at Zak's site about the other 6.5 calibers. I know at the Raton, NM match it has been years since a .308 won, at least that is to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the replies..I'll check out the article in the morning. I will most likely do the switch this winter. Off to work now, I'll check the thread in the morning.

Alan

I was a die hard .30 cal 308,300wsm I went to 6.5 and I haven't looked back I'm zeroed at 100 yards and my dope says 7.3 mils to a1000 yard that's with 123gr after shooting 308 for years I'm getting spoiled less wind adjustment and a hell of a lot less elevation. Oh and barrel life is awesome or so it seems it will be with my 6.5x47. Happy hunting.

Alan,

It isn't so much the caliber as the bullets you use and what kind of ballistic coefficient they have as well as what you intend to do once your bullet gets to where you want it to be. I think for many of us interested in extracting the maximum possible - these little differences begin to add up only after taking extra measures. Reloading will provide a way to extract more out of the caliber choice you make. .308 is fine - but 6.5CM provides some additional opporutunity. But, only if you use the proper bullets, reloading recipes, etc. Pick out your requirements, then find the bullet, loading that will get you there. If you do that, your question will answer itself.

I went from a 19" .308 shooting 175 SMK's at 2600 fps to a .260 shooting 139 Scenars at 2830 fps and it was like I was cheating. I would rebarrel the action you have that way you could always pop the other barrel back on if you ever wanted to and you would already be accustomed to the ergonomics of the rifle. Eiether way you really can't go wrong. DO IT you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for more replies. I am going to go through with this..its' just time for a change :). I am going with either 260 rem or 6.5-47 Lapua, but after talking to George, he said I would need a different bolt with a small firing pin hole for the 47 lapua so I might as well go with the 260. I'm not even sure what I would have in a new bolt, or where to get one. PTG I assume.

Can anyone see a big difference in accuracy/etc when comparing 260 vs 6.5-47?

Thanks again,

Alan

Thanks for more replies. I am going to go through with this..its' just time for a change :). I am going with either 260 rem or 6.5-47 Lapua, but after talking to George, he said I would need a different bolt with a small firing pin hole for the 47 lapua so I might as well go with the 260. I'm not even sure what I would have in a new bolt, or where to get one. PTG I assume.

Can anyone see a big difference in accuracy/etc when comparing 260 vs 6.5-47?

Thanks again,

Alan

I've owned one 6.5x47 and three .260s.

Thus far, the .260 is about 75 fps faster without pressure signs. I can actually get the .260 to over 100 fps than I could with the 6.5x47.

The 6.5x47 makes you cringe when you lose brass.

The 6.5x47 seemed really easy to get accuracy with, but then again, I can't complain about the .260s accuracy at all!

Were I to build a new 6.5, I'd get a .260 or 6.5 Creed over the 6.5x47. Simply, they are cheaper rounds to shoot and can run a small bit faster.