• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

going from single stage to dillon

rockwind1

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
westworld
was wondering how many folks have done made the switch and what difference you saw in your loads as far as sd/es

This is a broad questions. What press? 550, 650 or 1050?

You can achieve the same accuracy and SD's on a Dillon (XL650 for me) that you can on a single stage but it takes some modifications and experience, depending on the caliber your reloading. Whidden clamped and floating die toolheads I use, Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die, ARea419 powder funnel for large stick powders, polished hoppers, powder dies, and baffles for powder drops.

I did a side by side loading session, 50rds each on my Forster Co-Ax and Dillon XL650 with LC 5.56 brass loaded with 23.4g 8208XBR with Hornady 73 ELD-M's. Weighing on the A&D for the Forster and dropping with the Dillon powder drop on the 650. Same Forster Ultra Seating die in both. SD's were identical and accuracy was identical. Not a difference.

Now, I have said this many times. If you dont do proper load development and make sure you are 100% in the center of a node then small variations in powder drop can hurt you on the Dillon. Load development is key.

Are you going to be just using the powder dispenser that comes with it? I use a Dillon but still weigh charge.

ou can achieve the same accuracy and SD's on a Dillon (XL650 for me) that you can on a single stage but it takes some modifications and experience, depending on the caliber your reloading. Whidden clamped and floating die toolheads I use, Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die, ARea419 powder funnel for large stick powders, polished hoppers, powder dies, and baffles for powder drops.

Padom, there was a short video of you on youtube prepping brass in a 650 with a Dillon power trimmer. I've heard that due to the cutter and speed you don't have to chamfer/debur. But most people aren't making ammo like you're talking about above. Do you still use the power Trimmer?

Padom, there was a short video of you on youtube prepping brass in a 650 with a Dillon power trimmer. I've heard that due to the cutter and speed you don't have to chamfer/debur. But most people aren't making ammo like you're talking about above. Do you still use the power Trimmer?

Here's what I do. I prep brass in large batches with a dedicated brass prep toolhead for each caliber. Deprime, push shoulder back, trim, set neck tension all on that toolhead in large quantities. For 223 and 6.5cm semi auto I will do an initial tumble in corn cob so they arent super dirty. Run them through the brass prep toolhead than SS tumble them. This SS tumbling after trimming and all smooths the case mouths out really nicely and deburs them. Is it as perfect as using a chamfer/debur tool? No. Are they any burs left? No. I only do this for my semi auto

For my bolt guns I only tumble in corn cob and yes I chamfer/debur every time.

For my match rounds I hand load case into the primer stage on my 650. I took the power charge out of the equation because it was just too inaccurate. I use a chargemaster for the powder loading. Remove case at bullet seat stage, load charge, seat bullet and let it fall into the bin after it hits the last stage. Considering I have a toolhead for every caliber I do, it's not a big deal. For semi-auto, I just rock and roll.

I do very similar to what Padom described. I have gotten SDs into low single digits with appropriate powders in the 308 and paying careful attention to technique. For larger powders, I also weigh on a CM and drop through a funnel to eliminate the powder measure. Mods and techniques are found at accurate shooter. 6.5 guys also have a good video on match ammo in a Dillon.

For 6.5cm and 300wm I use a D550 for precision loads similar to Padom. I use Redding Comp dies in separate tool heads, one for seater and one for depriming-sizing-etc ( I use mandrals not the sizing buttons in the dies) However, I throw my powder charge with the fx120-auto trickler set up.
Run out is extremely low and SD's rarely over 6-7fps