• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going Long - proposed 300WM build

shaggy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2011
Virginia, at last
Hello all. Here's an idea that I want to go through with very soon. I want a solid tactical / worst case rifle that's comfy out beyond 1000 yds. I also am sticking to common rifles and calibers.
I'll top it off with the best optics I can (within cost reason), even if it means saving up a bit more, perhaps NF 3.5-15 x 50 in mildot.
I think Savage 110 BA in .300 WM. Though, I'd like rails to mount a bipod.
Are there better 300 wm out there in the under 2K range that I should consider?
My next in line would be Rem 700 Sendero, but I like the all aluminum stock and magazine capacity in the 110 BA.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Re: Going Long - proposed 300WM build

Check out what's for sale on the Hide before you do that. I have two semi-custom rifles that I have sunk alot of money into and probably nobody would want them if they were on the market. You don't want to be second guessing your rifle if you are shooting long distance. I wish I had bought a good rifle off the Hide first. Just trying to save you from making the mistakes I made. Good luck.

The savage looks like a nice rig.

I would go with the 5.5-22x50 for that gun over the 3.5-15. The extra magnification isn't for shooting, it's for target ID and more accurate milling at longer distances.

FWIW, If you went with the Remington action, it would be very easy to drop it into a McCree or AICS. Then you are magazine fed using widely available AICS mags.

--Fargo007

Why not a Remington 700 5R milspec in .300 WinMag? Better aftermarket stocks and parts availability than the Savage.

I am considering the Rem 700. I still think I prefer the Savage because of the included muzzle break and a stock I'm most likely to use out of the box.
I don't think I can miss (pun intended) with either choice.

I recently bought a Remington 700 LA receiver from High Caliber Sales. They will be building a rifle in the Mk13 Mod 5 configuration with a few changes. Instead of the MARS rail, I'm going with a Badger 30 MOA base, and I already have a Knight's M110 suppressor on the way so they can mate it to the 24" Lilja barrel (1:10 twist), for best minimal POI shift. I am wanting to use a S&B 5-25 for my optic, but I'll see how that works out.

As for ammo, I've been looking at the AWC .300 WM w/ 220gr projos. They have them listed for $40/ 20 rnd box. Same with their 190gr rounds.
Average muzzle velocity is 2950fps for the 190gr and 2750 for the 220gr.

Federal 190gr Gold Medal Match runs about $50-60/ 20rnd box.

I have a Remington 700 300WM that is in a AICS chassis. Way under $2k to build. Put a Leupold 8-25 TMR on it. shoots 208 Amax great. My only complaint is sometimes its hard to find 208 AMax's.

Look at the Vortex Razor with EBR-2B reticle for a scope if you are looking into NF prices. You get a ton of great options and 36 mils of travel in the knob and another 9 in the reticle. Will allow you to reach way out and have a good power range while staying in your price range.

Either the Rem or Savage would work for a rifle. Just get the one that has what you want or can add down the road. Both have 10 twist barrels and are 26" long which are both what I would choose. I personally like Rems but Savages shoot well also.

don't forget about southwest ammo. i just ordered 2 boxes of 220 gr from them.

I don't know if that particular savage model is the best but you can't go wrong with either brand. I'm starting my 300wm project off of a 110FP going to add a Manners T4 and Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56. I'm thinking good 1000yd+ rifle.

The heart wants what the heart wants....
I went with the Savage. Then of course a few days latter, I started debating the decision and comming up with other ideas. I guess that's human. I am ecxited though, should be in my hands in a few weeks.
I am planning on adding a NF 5.5-22 x 50, I will add a bipod at some point. I bought a small variety of ammo (most in 180 to 190 grain) to get things rolling.
If I could just quit reading and worrying about barrel break-in!

My advice would be to learn to reload now. You will only see your rifle's true potential when you load for it. If not, there are a couple of vendors here that supply good ammo shooting either the 190s for preferably the 220s for long range work.

All of that said, the best bullet(s) for the 300wm are either the 210vld or the 208gr amax. I shoot the amax and, there isn't anything else that comes close to the performance I can get out of that bullet.

Hitting a man torso sized target at 1000yds cold bore isn't a consideration in the wind.... in fact, it's too easy... in the wind, I put up 10" plate and on a calm day under 10mph wind, I just throw 4" clay birds on the berm.

If you learn to reload, you can expect that kind of performance.... if you don't it's way out of reach for most rifles with most ammo, IMHO.

Either way, congratulations on the new purchase/sickness.
smile.gif

I am thinking about ending up with 220 grain. But, esepcially as i get things settled in, I'll shoot a variety of ammo. I am a fan of Horandy all the way.
I may eventually (read: will) try reloading, but at the time I don't have the space or time.

($0.02) Rem 700PSS, slap on a B&C adjustable stock, bed it yourself, 30-40 MOA base with a front focal plane scope (Nightforce for the money).

Then as you grow with it get a smith to accurize it while putting on a Bartlein or Krieger barrel, threaded for a suppressor.

i have had several long range 300 win mags, the first was a custom (kmw) , i reloaded for it and it pushed 210 bergers at 3000fps , 24moa to 1000yds, wore a 28" krieger barrel
AICS 2.0 stock , 16 power super sniper

my current 300 is a factory sendero, i put in a mcmillan a1-3;
scope is vortex razor w/ ebr 2-b reticle

i shoot 190's out of it at 2900fps

don't worry nor waste your time with barrel break in

with a 300 mag it's pointless; just shoot moly's if you want to extend barrel life some. otherwise save up for another barrel once you start shooting the first one

i love my 300's, lots of horsepower there for reasonable cost
and expense

have fun!!

I keep looking back at the Sendero. Nice rifle, especially in 300 WM, an 'all-comers' rifle that can be built for hunting as well as tactical.

I got my .300 on gun broker for 700 new but definitely look on the hide. Mine is a 700p. I think the 700 is the way to go over savage just for the aftermarket availability with it. I bought an ior 3-18 FFP, USO 20moa base, b&c tactical stock and a break. I'm into it for 2300. Could of went cheaper but everyone gets carried away. Plus they are good shooters for the money. Good luck and hope this helps.

Depending on what you're wanting to spend at first, the most versatile, in my own opinion is the 700 action. If you get something with a Remington 700 action, the possibilities are limitless down the road.

My current 300wm is a:

700 LA trued up action
Lothar Walther 26" 1:10 twist barrel ( I'll mount up a Kreiger #10MTU to it at the end of July )
shillen trigger worked down to about 1lb
( bedded )McMillan A3 stock
H&S Bottom metal
Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 scope

If you start with the 700LA then, the rest can come all at once or a little at a time... it's up to you completely. There are abundant stocks and chassis available for it... same with bottom metal, triggers, barrels and, of course, scope mounts, etc. etc. etc. etc.

My Savage cost me $340 when I bought it. Installed it in a Stockade stock when I started to reload.Aftermarket trigger. Played around with a few scopes ended on a Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 40 Custom shop scope I got from CS Tactical. I like the 40 mm objective. Shot around 2K rds like this,then had Hide member Dsink put on a Benchmark barrel last fall. It is a true .5 moa rifle with 208 Amax's or 210 Bergers. I have alot of time in it but for over 2K rds not alot of money. With a better shotter than me, it will shoot with anything. Aftermaket parts are getting more readily available.

Remington LA
Rock Creek 26" 1:11.25
Mcmillan A5
NXS 5.5-22x50
208 AMAX 3050 fps
2000 yd hits 20"x30" steel all day
All work done by Predator Custom Shop
Under 2K without optics.

My first .300WM is a stock 700P, Ken Farrell 20MOA base, Badger Max-50s, 6.5-20x50 Mk4.

It's sub 3/4MOA with hand loaded 208 AMAX, probably better but I'm not that good.

Sounds like you'll have a nice setup. I would have gone with 7mm Rem Mag or similar caliber, but 300 win mag is more popular and will serve you well. You'll be glad you have the extra mag of 22x over 15x for pass 500 yds, as I've shoot both sided by side, and prefered 5.5-22 for distance.

Reloading would be the next step. It isn't that difficult be just gives you better accuracy and so many more options.

If you seriously want a 300WM for ELR (beyond 1000) you will need it to be accurate, and that means headspacing it at the shoulder, which rules-out factory chamberings which headspace at the belt. You will also need a 10-twist for optimum performance with 210-grain and heavier bullets.

Proviso: Tmpohuski can hit at 2000 with a 11.25 because he's a better shot that I am, but don't try this at home kids.
laugh.gif

danand I already have a Knight's M110 suppressor on the way so they can mate it to the 24" Lilja barrel (1:10 twist) said:
These cans qre known for having a shift when you dismount them and they don't tighten up until you shoot a few rounds through them after reattachement.

To the op, I have a GAP 7mmRemMag and wish I would have bought a AI rifle.