• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Going to build a 243 or 260

338rum

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Hell
what is the best caliber for hunting for my kid will not shot over 600 yards rate of twist how long of a barrel ?
Any help would wonderful
Thanks

Re: Going to build a 243 or 260

It's going to be a toss up for hunting. The .260 will have an edge with energy. The .243 is easier to find hunting ammo for. The .243 will also recoil slightly less. That said, if you reload either one will do the job on antelope and deer. Twist rate will be determined by the class of bullet weight you want to use, I think 1:8.5 for the .260 is ideal for the heavier bullets and the 1:8 for the .243. Barrel length and contour will be determined by the weight you want to achieve with the rifle. Thinking a sporter weight tube around 22-26" will give great results on a hunting rifle.

Hope that helps a little

again my vote is .243, easy to find ammo, brass is easily found for reloading, for a kid's deer gun don't think you can go wrong. Plus is there any production .260's out there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus is there any production .260's out there?</div></div>

Remington is only making them out of the custom shop these days, I don't think they have any standard offerings in it. It is an incredible match caliber, however for hunting, not much in the line for ammo, at least compared to the .243

The .243 is well supported and proven hunting round

I should also ask how old and big is your kid.

Don't forget 7mm-08, you can take an elk with that as well if needed.

.243 has served me well over the years and the recoil is minimal. Perfect round for the little ones IMO.

+1 for the 243. It has done well for me for many years.

a 243 with a 24" 8 twist barrel you can use up to 115gr DTAC's out of it and it will be good for most deer.

Go buy your sone a Remington SPS youth, drop it into a Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock (as was on the Ti rifles), put a good scope on it, and let him loose.

If you are feeling particularly frisky, send it to a smith and punch it 243ai.

87 VMAX's for play, and 85 TSX for deer and antelopes.

The factory Remmy tubes are 1:9.125", and are generally capable of stabilizing the 105 AMAX's if longer ranger pursuits are what you are after.

260. Get a Savage donor action and put an 8" twist 260 barrel in it.
And yes a 260/140gr will work fine for elk, if you do your part!

So the barrel should be 24" With 8 twist?
And i think i will probably go with a 260.

the 260 is a wise chioce imo. i just built one and went with the 26 inch barrel. i couldn't decide wich i wanted and i figured it was easier to take some off later than to add some later

Thank you all for the input it helps when you dont know shit about small cal