• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going W/O Carbs

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
Just started this. I am past the shakes I used to get when I did not have any carbs and my blood sugar took a dump. Feeling good now and not wanting a biscuit. That is a great milestone for a Southerner.

Last night I had a ribeye that I pan fried and some cheddar cheese. Good stuff and I did not feel so bloated I wanted to take a nap.

Re: Going W/O Carbs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just started this. I am past the shakes I used to get when I did not have any carbs and my blood sugar took a dump. Feeling good now and not wanting a biscuit. That is a great milestone for a Southerner.

Last night I had a ribeye that I pan fried and some cheddar cheese. Good stuff and I did not feel so bloated I wanted to take a nap.</div></div>

FANTASTIC!!!! Keep it up, Sir. You WILL turn into a fat burning machine, at least if I'm any example
laugh.gif

Careful with the NO carbs way of life. Your body does need some healthy carbs for fuel, especially if working out or you have an active lifestyle. Otherwise you may be burning muscle or other more important protiens that you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildHareMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Careful with the NO carbs way of life. Your body does need some healthy carbs for fuel, especially if working out or you have an active lifestyle. Otherwise you may be burning muscle or other more important protiens that you need.</div></div>

I"m not sure what you mean by "active lifestyle," or "working out." If what you mean is the ordinary bullshit that the ordinary citizen, indeed, some military to look at them, does on a day to day basis, it'll be a cold day in hell before they begin to burn protein. If you're talking high intensity strength and/or interval training, smart intake of carbohydrates MAY be useful, but then it may not. It's the bullshit fitness industry, along with the bullshit food industry, that pumps the notion that carbs are so critical. Just my .02 and YMMV.

Your body needs carbs in order to metabolize fat stores and to encourage healthy brain activity. However, a LOW-carb-intake diet is more suited to help you to reduce weight (but will allow you to maintain an overall healthy body and functions). I met a guy who whittled his carb intake down to 90 grams/day; that's like one or two pieces of bread. He lost massive amounts of weight in the process.

Some carbs are essential, if you're going to do low carb (<20grams / day induction phase) then get those from salad and veg. You'll know its working when your wee starts to smell ;o) !!

Low carb diets work, just be sensible and the very best of luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildHareMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Careful with the NO carbs way of life. Your body does need some healthy carbs for fuel, especially if working out or you have an active lifestyle. Otherwise you may be burning muscle or other more important protiens that you need.</div></div>

I"m not sure what you mean by "active lifestyle," or "working out." If what you mean is the ordinary bullshit that the ordinary citizen, indeed, some military to look at them, does on a day to day basis, it'll be a cold day in hell before they begin to burn protein. If you're talking high intensity strength and/or interval training, smart intake of carbohydrates MAY be useful, but then it may not. It's the bullshit fitness industry, along with the bullshit food industry, that pumps the notion that carbs are so critical. Just my .02 and YMMV. </div></div>

Your body will metabolize whatever it can for fuel. First it uses quick burning things like carbs/sugars, then it uses proteins. Problem is, once it's burning proteins it doesn't care whether they come from muscle or brain matter. Your whole body is protein based.

Good diet for quick weight loss
First U burn free glucose, then stored glycogen (from liver mostly and to some degree the kidneys, then U start on fats..which when exhausted, you go to gluconeogenesis, a by product of which is acetone and will show in your greath...
No everyone cah survive ling term on this... FYI below

RU and Inuit???

"Some clinicians regard ketosis as a dangerous and potentially life-threatening state that stresses the liver.[15][dubious – discuss] Ketogenesis can occur solely from the byproduct of fat degradation: acetyl-CoA. Ketosis, which is accompanied by gluconeogenesis (the creation of glucose de novo from pyruvate), is the specific state with which clinicians are concerned.

The anti-ketosis conclusions have been challenged by a number of doctors and advocates of low-carbohydrate diets, who dispute assertions that the body has a preference for glucose and that there are dangers associated with ketosis.[16][17][18] It has been argued that the Inuit lived for thousands of years on a diet that would have been ketogenic, and there are many documented cases of modern humans living in these societies for extended periods of time. On the other hand, it is speculated by Nick Lane [19] that the Inuit may have a genetic predisposition allowing them to healthfully eat a ketogenic diet. According to this view, such an evolutionary adaptation would have been caused by environmental stresses.[20] While it is believed that carbohydrate intake after exercise is the most effective way of replacing depleted glycogen stores,[21][22] studies have shown that, after a period of 2–4 weeks"

and looking' around the streets of Philly, I can tell ya it'll be a millennium before 75% of the folks EVER exhaust their fat supply!!!

I did the Atkin diet a few years ago and was surprised by how fast and easy it was for me. After about 2 days of very low carbs (small salad w/supper)I couldn't believe how much better I felt.

It's hard staying on long term..... at least it was for me. I was religous about it for 1 year and it does work. Turns out, I really missed drinking beer.

Good luck to you Sir!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did the Atkin diet a few years ago and was surprised by how fast and easy it was for me. After about 2 days of very low carbs (small salad w/supper)I couldn't believe how much better I felt.

It's hard staying on long term..... at least it was for me. I was religous about it for 1 year and it does work. Turns out, I really missed drinking beer.

Good luck to you Sir! </div></div>

Ah but if you stick to the diet and just add beer (or the booze of your choice) you probably won't put anything on! The problem comes with the breakdown of willpower to stay away from bad food once a couple of drinks are inside you!

You are so very right. I stuck to the program like glue for about a year..... got down to where I wanted, then slacked off. It really did work, but have since fallen off the wagon. Need to get back with it. Way too many bad food choices as of late.

Ooooo I don't recommend Atkins for anyone. Especially if you like your body. As soon as you take in even a normal amount of good carbs after beinf on that for a while, you can gain bad wieght back and even faster than you had gained it before starting.

Everyone is different with the things that work best for them, but your body is made to do certain things...going without SOME carbs just isn't one of them. And if you're going to count carbs in your diet...don't take salad as one of them unless it's of the potato, macaroni, etc style. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just started this. I am past the shakes I used to get when I did not have any carbs and my blood sugar took a dump. Feeling good now and not wanting a biscuit. That is a great milestone for a Southerner.

Last night I had a ribeye that I pan fried and some cheddar cheese. Good stuff and I did not feel so bloated I wanted to take a nap.</div></div>

I'm kind of trying that but it's definitely hard. I love carbs
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildHareMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ooooo I don't recommend Atkins for anyone. Especially if you like your body. As soon as you take in even a normal amount of good carbs after beinf on that for a while, you can gain bad wieght back and even faster than you had gained it before starting. </div></div>

I run a "Palumbo" diet in preparation for bodybuilding shows , generally the first 6 weeks is just protein and fats (1.5gP & .5gF perlb body weight) then one day is a very large carb meal then right back to the no carb diet as the body fat comes off the carb "refeeds" come more offen.
After a show the body is in such a depleted state (way more than average dieter) that when ou start to pound the food you will add a good bit of muscle and as long as you put the brakes on and eat reasonably you can easily keep the fat off

go 2 weeks with low carbs then on your third week have a cheat meal, eat whatever you want it will not hurt you .i do this 1 time a week keeps me sane,every saterday night is my cheatmeal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm kind of trying that but it's definitely hard. I love carbs
frown.gif
</div></div>

You need to give it a week, no cheating. Once you're into lipolysis the cravings will disappear and you'll start to see the weight drop off. The more the weight drops off the less you want carbs (in order to stay in lipolysis) it sort of like a (good) vicious cycle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: feelinducky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try looking into the "Paleo" diet. </div></div>

Guys I don't know reloading, I'll be the first to admit that. I do however know nutrition and fitness. Carb starving is not good for anyone. If it has the word diet in it, look the other way. Exercise, drink lots of water, eat clean, and understand portion control and you will be fine forever.

The atkins diet is no carb I believe, and my dad lost a lot of weight on it... and ruined his gall bladder or pancreas (I forget which) and had to have it surgically removed. Atkins must be bad for health.

Paleo is better (a diet of meat and vegatables including some carbs).

with all due respect, sir, I also know fitness and nutrition: "eating clean and understanding portion control" is, to put it mildly, horseshit :D, unless by eating clean you mean to eliminate the damn grain/wheat/starch crap that we've all been seduced into believing is a "good way to go." Portion control is a natural by-product of upping good saturated fat, maintaining a protein intake that's consistent with the sat fat intake (actually a by-product of the foods that are in fact high in good fats), and reducing, relative to the SAD recommendations, carb intake significantly. Carb starving is not the issue!! And I'm not talking diet. I'm talking a nutritional intake protocol that's consistent with what our ancient history is as hunter-gatherer-foragers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eliminate the damn grain/wheat/starch crap that we've all been seduced into believing is a "good way to go."</div></div>

Amen! There is no such thing as an "essential" carbohydrate. Look it up: NONE! You can live just fine without ever eating another carb. You can eat all the protein and fat you want without ever counting calories and still loose fat. Using certain carbs and eating them at the right time will promote muscle growth and shorten the recovery time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and looking' around the streets of Philly, I can tell ya it'll be a millennium before 75% of the folks EVER exhaust their fat supply!!!</div></div>
One of the funniest things I've read on this forum!

"Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame". You will burn more fat if you have a small amount of carbs. Also, you will find that you are less hungry.

Try eating a big breakfast, medium lunch, and a light dinner. Have some carbs in the morning, but not much. Also, try not to eat after 5 pm or so, unless working out.

Eat after a long workout, do not skip this. That food, especially carbs, resupplies the glycogen in your liver and muscles. Try to eat some solid food 30-60 minutes after a long workout. Otherwise your muscles will take 2-3 days to rebuild their glycogen supply.

brain uses most of your energy. and it functions on glocuse...blood sugar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The atkins diet is no carb I believe, and my dad lost a lot of weight on it... and ruined his gall bladder or pancreas (I forget which) and had to have it surgically removed. Atkins must be bad for health.

Paleo is better (a diet of meat and vegatables including some carbs). </div></div>

Your pancreas is very important to life and it's responsible for producing insulin , cutti g out your carbs will little to no impact on it except for needi g to work less
The Gall blader is very finicky and will often freak out and cause issues when you get over stressed or even drastic changes in diet , it's lime the appendix was 25 years ago , you go to the dr and they can't figure whats wrong so hey just say
"we'll just take that out cause it's gonna cause problems later anyway"
I can full well see where a drastic diet change would possibly cause a gall issue but it's not the guidelines of the diet that did it , but rather the shock

FWIW, I just baked my first loaf of Einkorn bread I got as an advanced Christmas present from my wife. I put in half-cup too much water, but even so came out damn good; fantastic crust; reasonably substantial body to it, and it tasted superb. this is the original Einkorn wheat, not the genetically re-engineered shit sold in most of the world (France excepted) as "whole grain" and pushed by Big Agra, Big Pharma and Big Medica, no never mind Big Governma. I'll know if it indeed is as advertised based upon how hungry I am in the next hour and half.

Jason,

you know, I think you are absolutely right.... looks like there's too much bad grain in that flour
laugh.gif
smile.gif

thank you sir for your correction. Your link would be it

Get off the High Fructose Corn Syrup bandwagon while you are at it. This includes ALL soft drinks and sports drinks made in the United States or Canada...IF you are going to drink a Coke then get a case of Mexican Coca-Cola's from Costco and they will last 1 person about 5 months. I kid you not I sipped on one for 2 days instead of feeling like I needed to guzzle the whole dang thing like a fiend.

Been living on "reduced" carbs for years. Tough to do living in the south, but have maintained an acceptable weight and condition for almost 10 years without too much effort.