• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gonna Brake my .260...

Barrel Nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Oak Ridge, TN
Looking for something for my .260. I have considered the VIAS, Badger and surefire. I am not sure what will serve my needs best. I really do not intend to go with a suppressor anytime soon so I just want one to help me stay on target for quick follow ups and allow me to see impacts better. Seems like cost is pretty much a wash with them all. Any input on which will provide most recoil reduction without affecting accuracy? I will most likely not take it off the rifle if that matters. Also If I go with surefire should I get the 6.8 or the 7.62...
Thanks

Re: Gonna Brake my .260...

This is hear say but the ugly ass JP muzzle break reduces the most felt recoil. They look like what is on a Tank.

The most effective brake I've ever used is the Little Bastard from APA. I have it on a 7wsm and I can watch it break paper at 100. I've used others but this one is my favorite for sure.

Dustin

Check out the RAD Rapid brake. I have one and will probably get another soon.

Shot my TRG22 in 260 with the Sako brake for a couple of months. My rifle is now much nicer with my Thunderbeast 30p-1 suppressor. It stays on target better than with the brake. It is just so sweet to shoot now. The brake had zero recoil but sort of hopped all the same. Not to mention it was just annoyingly loud to shoot, especially under a roof.

My advice is save your money for a suppressor, it's worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToKeepAndBear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my TRG22 in 260 with the Sako brake for a couple of months. My rifle is now much nicer with my Thunderbeast 30p-1 suppressor. It stays on target better than with the brake. It is just so sweet to shoot now. The brake had zero recoil but sort of hopped all the same. Not to mention it was just annoyingly loud to shoot, especially under a roof.

My advice is save your money for a suppressor, it's worth it.</div></div>

Guys is asking for advice on a muzzle brake and you tell him not to even mess with, just get a suppressor instead. Absolutley amazing.

I like the Badger FTE brake because you can index the brake. The RAD Rapid would be another one I would choose but havent used. It has an clamp on the end for easy to put on and take off. I use the Badger FTE brake and works great for 308 and 260s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2676303&page=1

it kicks ass....

45$ shipped, just paypal him with cal. thread, and taper to your bore...
</div></div>

I agree, RWS makes great brakes. But he's out of commission for a a few months because of a car accident.

I use Elite Iron's Max Tac. brake on my 300 Win. Mag. for 1000 yard target. Works very well. Very loud but reduces felt recoil to near nothing. I'm having built a 260 Rem and have ordered a 6.5 mm brake through them. I'm also having protector thread caps made for the barrel as well. Don't know yet if I'll need or want a brake on the 260, but I'm having the gunsmith time it to the barrel for just in case. Will try it with and without brake before I develope my dope to see if it is necessary. Maybe won't use it. Anyhow, I'm very happy with the Elite Iron Max Tac brake.

Tubb T2k, not only will it reduce recoil of your 260 to 223 levels but it's also a barrel tuner, that means it will make your rifle more accurate.

One thing to consider about the Vias style brakes, is when shooting prone in the dirt you get a dirt shower!! We nick named my buddies 338 lapua with a similar brake "the Excavator" LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to consider about the Vias style brakes, is when shooting prone in the dirt you get a dirt shower!! We nick named my buddies 338 lapua with a similar brake "the Excavator" LOL.</div></div>

No to mention the dirt that flies in to your rifle. If you're a prone shooter, a radial brake is a bad idea.

I have heard from several people that the Fat bastard brake is one of the most effective out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tubb T2k, not only will it reduce recoil of your 260 to 223 levels but it's also a barrel tuner, that means it will make your rifle more accurate. </div></div>

+1 on this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to consider about the Vias style brakes, is when shooting prone in the dirt you get a dirt shower!! We nick named my buddies 338 lapua with a similar brake "the Excavator" LOL.</div></div>

No to mention the dirt that flies in to your rifle. If you're a prone shooter, a radial brake is a bad idea. </div></div>

Good information. ....Thanks guys.
Is the APA little bastard a lot louder than some of the others? Design looks like it would be very effective but really harsh for the spotter or others around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barrel Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to consider about the Vias style brakes, is when shooting prone in the dirt you get a dirt shower!! We nick named my buddies 338 lapua with a similar brake "the Excavator" LOL.</div></div>

No to mention the dirt that flies in to your rifle. If you're a prone shooter, a radial brake is a bad idea. </div></div>

Good information. ....Thanks guys.
Is the APA little bastard a lot louder than some of the others? Design looks like it would be very effective but really harsh for the spotter or others around. </div></div>

All of them are harsh. I use the Vias on my 300rum and like it. It will kick up dirt so I just use a wet ground cover and it's not an issue, when hunting it's never been a problem. My Edge has the APA FB and although it's not quite as bad on blast it's still loud as hell, I have heard the LB and it's equally bad. I would say the APA is my favoright and it seams to reduce recoil better then the vias but the Edge has a very diffrent recoil impulse so that could lead to some of it.