• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good .22LR trainer w/o breaking the bank?

jtb33

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
PHX, AZ - USA
Looking to replicate the feel of my 700 PSS as much as possible without having to drop the money on a 40X or something similar that will break the bank.

Any suggestions for an off-the-shelf type rifle (or one with minor customizing) in .22LR to replicate it as closely as possible for a trainer?

Re: Good .22LR trainer w/o breaking the bank?

What do you want to replicate? The size and feel of the stock on a PSS is unlike any .22 on the market. If you just want something that's a bolt action, cheap, yet is accurate, I'd vote for a Savage Mark II FV. Boyd's may be able to finish a wood stock in a style that resembles the PSS, with the larger palm swell. You could also try and mold the original stock so that it resembles your PSS, but that'd be a lot of work for something that may not work out in the end.

+1 on the Savage mkii I have one and it will shoot spider webs in-to at 50 yards

You didn't say what your budget was for not breaking the bank. Yet I encourage you to take a long look at a CZ 452, they are fantastic little rifles and a joy to shoot.

CZ452 varmint. Put the little trigger kit in and hey presto a superb, accurate little .22. I put the Wilddog varmint stock on mine and use it for 22 benchrest at my local club.

Fuscalino....you cheated....we can't get Wilddog stocks in the USA any more. Sucks too as that was the best 452 tact/varmint stock going. Wish they would be imported again.

There's also Boyd's "tacticool" stock if you wanted something different, it doesn't much resemble a PSS stock though.

DSC01522.jpg

I have a CZ 452 varmint, and yeah, they are tack drivers. I have been looking at the Savage Mk ll TR as well. I would say to stay away from a modded up 10/22, you'll run through ammo too fast and take away from your trigger control practice. I'm speculating, but I know that would happen to me...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuscalino....you cheated....we can't get Wilddog stocks in the USA any more. Sucks too as that was the best 452 tact/varmint stock going. Wish they would be imported again. </div></div>

Sorry to hear that, the Wilddog stock was well finished and a superb fit. I love the little CZ but it is definately a sweeter gun now with the new stock.

+1 on the CZ, I got to shoot a 452 the other day and its definitely worth checking out.